PDA

View Full Version : Media Server - Apple TV and Time Capsule?

kyledray
08-27-2008, 06:21 PM
I've been playing around with all the cool Mac products that have come out, especially since Apple allowed 3rd party apps for the Itouch and Iphone. I purchased a 1TB Time Capsule and an Apple TV. I ripped some DVD movies onto my Time Capsule using HandBrake. Now, these movies pop up on my Apple TV and I can stream them, making a very cheap DVD server! In addition, I can use the Remote app on my Itouch to control the Apple TV with full coverart metadata to boot!

The only downside I've experienced is that my Macbook has to be in the room and on (not standby) for this to work since the Apple TV is streaming through Itunes to access the movies. Does anyone know a work-around for this so the Apple TV reads the movies straight from the Time Capsule?

ambleside
08-27-2008, 06:33 PM
No workaround. The ATV cannot mount a remote volume (without hacking) and read files - it only accesses remote iTunes servers. The Time Capsule is not an iTunes server, just a file store. Even when hacked, the performance isn't great. The iTunes streaming interface buffers in a way that the hard drive playback does not. With a remote mount volume, you get stuttering.

For playing (not for clients!) check out aTV Flash

oxycotton
09-02-2008, 06:01 PM
I just bought a time capsule to go with my apple tv. The combination works well for me. I have to have my macbook connected to both devices at the same time but items purchased on my tv get stored on the time capsule. I wouldn't sell the combination to a customer but I prefer it to the Escient mx-111/se-80 that we also sell.

motech
09-22-2008, 09:38 AM
ideally you want to have a mac (or PC) that is always on . .

maybe an iMac with a 2TB external drive connected to it,
point itunes to the extneral drive so taht any new downloads
automatically goto external . .

several apple tv's through home, all over gigabit ethernet hardwired network . .

music, photos, tv shows, movies, etc . .

im looking forward to new features in the future .
web browsing, widgets ?

Elston
09-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Would you use any of these configurations in a customers home? If so I am curious as to how you would handle any service contracts or support.

smcnally
09-22-2008, 05:23 PM
Is it me, or is it a little strange that 3 brand spankin' new members are talking ab out this one subject? Anywho...You'd be better of buying a mac mini, a NAS unit with as many TBs as you want, and then installing the XBMC mac port on the mac mini.

smcnally
09-22-2008, 05:25 PM
Would you use any of these configurations in a customers home? If so I am curious as to how you would handle any service contracts or support.
Anyone that did would be doing a disservice to their client. These are great systems for techs and people that like to tweak things but not suitable for our type of clients.

eastonaltree
09-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Is it me, or is it a little strange that 3 brand spankin' new members are talking ab out this one subject? .....

I was thinking that exact thing.

motech
09-23-2008, 12:46 PM
brand new indeed ..
im a new member,
but have been installing apple systems for years . .

when you say that these systems are just for techs you couldnt be more wrong . .

people know how to use ipods, they know how to use itunes . .
hence they already pretty much know how to use apple tv . .

all you need is an imac running 24/7 with a large hard drive connected to it . .
a few apple tv's , a few airport express, and ipod touch (to control imac and what music it plays to what zones all from ipod touch over wifi)

i never have any issues with installed apple tv's, they pretty much just work . .

motech
09-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Is it me, or is it a little strange that 3 brand spankin' new members are talking ab out this one subject? Anywho...You'd be better of buying a mac mini, a NAS unit with as many TBs as you want, and then installing the XBMC mac port on the mac mini.

xmbc on the other hand, thats for the techies out there . .

the advantages of apple tv are that they are simple to use, dont really have any uptime issues, and you can buy / rent media straight from apple tv interface . .

eastonaltree
09-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Motech,

Here are some of the issue that we (integrationPROS) have with the Apple TV scenario:

Picture Quality and Stability. By and large, the people on this site are installing some pretty serious systems, and we are unwilling to attach a source that provides a marginal video image. I have seen the Apple TV in action, and the quality of the video content varies significantly from worse than VHS to a little better than DVD. Even on solid networks, I have seen these things hang a bit.

Manufacturer support. As custom installers, we expect a pretty high level of support from our manufacturers. In the unlikely even that we were to be set up directly with Apple :lol: , I think it would be nigh impossible to get any sort of technical help with the product. Add to this the fact that we might make about $30 gross profit on the sale and it works out to be a seriously flawed business math equation.

motech
09-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Motech,

Here are some of the issue that we (integrationPROS) have with the Apple TV scenario:

Picture Quality and Stability. By and large, the people on this site are installing some pretty serious systems, and we are unwilling to attach a source that provides a marginal video image. I have seen the Apple TV in action, and the quality of the video content varies significantly from worse than VHS to a little better than DVD. Even on solid networks, I have seen these things hang a bit.

Manufacturer support. As custom installers, we expect a pretty high level of support from our manufacturers. In the unlikely even that we were to be set up directly with Apple :lol: , I think it would be nigh impossible to get any sort of technical help with the product. Add to this the fact that we might make about $30 gross profit on the sale and it works out to be a seriously flawed business math equation.

the interface looks amazing on any size hdtv,
the apple tv supports 1080p video . .

if you are watching hd content (from itunes store) the quality is very good,
if you are watching your own ripped dvd's they look great as well.

tech support is not an issue. out of 300 apple tv's sold, ive had 1 bad out of the box. i took it to the apple store, they gave me a new one . .

i have several apple tv's all connected via hard wired network, with a gigabit backbone. the server is wired as well. never ever any hanging. renting a movie is ready within 10 seconds to watch (depending on your internet connection, dsl sucks)

profit is not there, but customer satisfaction is.
and the value is amazing . .

Elston
09-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Anyone that did would be doing a disservice to their client. These are great systems for techs and people that like to tweak things but not suitable for our type of clients.

That's where I was headed.

smcnally
09-23-2008, 01:37 PM
when you say that these systems are just for techs you couldnt be more wrong . . .

I was speaking more of the XBMC setup. Apple TV is fine for just about any client as far as I'm concerned. But...if there isn't any profit, then what's the point from a business perspective?

motech
09-23-2008, 02:55 PM
charge for labor set up . .

put the money they would have spent on a high end video server and put it towards other profitable items like lighting or higher end options . .

if they are going to spend 80k either way, might as well get them more for their money, while not putting much more effort in to it . .

your clients will appreciate it . . as they will actually use that aspect of the system

most clients home i goto that were done by someone else, never use the media distribution systems they were sold as it is too complicated ...

they ended up regretting choices . .

smcnally
09-23-2008, 03:44 PM
charge for labor set up . .

put the money they would have spent on a high end video server and put it towards other profitable items like lighting or higher end options . .

if they are going to spend 80k either way, might as well get them more for their money, while not putting much more effort in to it . .

your clients will appreciate it . . as they will actually use that aspect of the system

most clients home i go to that were done by someone else, never use the media distribution systems they were sold as it is too complicated ...

they ended up regretting choices . .

To be honest, most "High End" clients aren't too worried about the money. The benefits of something like a Kaliedescape system are worth the extra money to a lot of people of that caliber. If something starts to act flaky with a K-Scape system the new parts are usually shipped out from K-Scape before anyone even knows there is an issue. I hate to say it, but I believe that if we want to make money in this business long term we really have to stop thinking with our wallet and start thinking with our clients wallets. Most of the clients I have worked with would much rather pay more for a system that is easy to use and extremely reliable. A lot of them also like to have "the best" even if it is a lot more expensive. I looked at your site and you seem to be doing smaller systems than some of us so what I'm saying probably doesn't pertain to your business model just as using the setup you describe in a lot of our installs wouldn't be the best option. When you have a job that has $30k - $40k just in programming, the client usually doesn't sweat paying $20k for a K-Scape vs. $1k for the appletv w/ a time capsule.

motech
09-23-2008, 03:51 PM
the point really is, they wont use the kscope system as much as they would use the apple tv's . .

and i have only had 1 apple tv fail on me out of about 300 and that was DOA.

my jobs usually range around 30-50k
im just doing my first job above 100k ,
and implementing the apple tv's system.

im digitizing all of their existing home movies,
and foreign films for them, and not only will it be very easy to use,
but even more important . . easy to manage the media via itunes ..

since . . you know, they already know how to do it.

kscope is overkill with less features . .
can they even rent hd movies or buy seasons of tv shows from kscope ?

apple tv, buy movie or tv show, take it to go on your iphone . .

smcnally
09-23-2008, 05:45 PM
the point really is, they wont use the kscope system as much as they would use the apple tv's . .
I completely disagree. I'm not sure where you're getting that from but it is false. I've been in the industry for a pretty good while now and have been programming systems the last 4 years. I can tell you without a doubt that the #1 priority to high end clients is that it is simple to use. Most of them don't care about features. All they care about is that they can go grab a movie they have in their collection and play it quickly. I've worked in a lot of homes with K-Scapes in them and the clients always talk about how much they love the system...not one complaint.

and i have only had 1 apple tv fail on me out of about 300 and that was DOA.
The K-Scape is a very reliable and well built unit as well. I'm not saying the AppleTV is junk...I'm just saying it has it's place in the industry just as the K-Scape does.

my jobs usually range around 30-50k
im just doing my first job above 100k ,
and implementing the apple tv's system.

As I said earlier...Then the AppleTV probably suits your jobs just fine. $250k - $1M jobs may even do fine with one, but most of those clients would prefer a K-Scape.

im digitizing all of their existing home movies,
and foreign films for them

I would recommend against providing this service. The legalities regarding ripping movies is still up in the air and the only truly legal system to do it with is a Kaleidescape. Providing a ripping service for movies puts your company at risk and frankly isn't worth it.

kscope is overkill with less features . .

Many would argue that a Ferrari or Lamborghini is overkill but wealthy people still buy them. Why spend $500 on a haircut and wait a week to get an appointment when you can get a great haircut at Supercuts? ;-)

can they even rent hd movies or buy seasons of tv shows from kscope ?

When they purchase their server they can actually pre-purchase entire movie and TV show collections and have them preloaded with them.

In case you didn't notice...I'm not necessarily arguing with you...I'm just saying there is a place for both. But to think it is overkill is just silly. There really is no such thing as overkill in the world of high-end electronics.

metrognomicon
09-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Kscape and AppleTV can very happily coexist. But let the kscape handle just the movies and do music through itunes/appletv/airtunes. It's like using the right tool for the job. Kscape is the right tool for DVDs, period. Itunes etc is the right tool for music, perhaps not period but close.

TonyAngelo
09-23-2008, 07:00 PM
AppleTV is not a movie server. Period.

It is a great $300 add on piece, but to compare it to K-scape shows that you have no concept of what K-scape really is.

Oh and by the way, I've had AppleTV's freeze and require a reboot, more than once.

Richard Bachman
09-23-2008, 07:06 PM

This is the stand out winner for this years dumbest quote contest!