PDA

View Full Version : Keyb/Mouse control of HTPC from a remote location?

netarc
12-08-2005, 03:58 AM
Planning to do a client multizone A/V install with a computer (HTPC or Media Center box) as one of the sources in the media closet; PC would pipe its video & audio to all displays in the house via a distributed audio/video (that is, piping HTPC's "stereo out" into a Russound CAV6.6, with the component video from the PC into a component video distribution or matrix switch.)

Granted that partial control of the PC can be accomplished via remotes (local keypad transmits IR to multizone system, and emitter submits IR to the PC); however, I also want to allow for the option to be able to browse the internet, view online multimedia, etc ... and for this I would like to retain keyboard & mouse control.

I can't figure how to get a keyboard & mouse signal to the PC from the various zones, though; simplest thing would seem to be to use an integrated RF wireless keyboard/mouse combo, but the range of this wouldn't even allow the closest zone (~20' from media closet) to reach the pc (much less those farther away!).

Any suggestions? Have other folks handled remote keyb/mouse control of a HTPC system? Running addt'l cable, if necessary, *is* still an option, btw, since the sheetrock's not yet up.

ejfiii
12-08-2005, 07:17 AM
I think you can use multiple rf receivers with the Gyration products. They also make an industrial version that has long range. I have used the 30 foot products in the past and they are great. Definately call their tech support and talk to them - they should be able to help you.

Anonymous
12-08-2005, 12:01 PM
I think you can use multiple rf receivers with the Gyration products. They also make an industrial version that has long range. I have used the 30 foot products in the past and they are great. Definately call their tech support and talk to them - they should be able to help you.
Interesting, thanks for the info! I'll give them a call

techhome
12-08-2005, 02:24 PM
Look for enterprise grade KVM extenders from brands like raritan or nti. You can extend over CAT 5 using these.