PDA

View Full Version : In-wall control for projector...

whdigital
02-14-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm trying to solve a problem in a hall at a church for a projector install that requires a remote for powering up/down and input changes on a mounted projector.

What I'd like to do is put in a wall mounted control that is simple and relatively inexpensive. Was looking at something like Xantech's 598 with a 590, but the docs don't show me much with respect to what the buttons can do/look like. ALL I want are Power and Input change, plus I would love the option to somehow "lock" the keypad... (Any way to assign a certain key-press combo to "wake-up" the 590?) I know that seems like a silly request, but there a lot of kids that use this hall and don't want the projector fired up and left on by the wrong people. I can probably find some kind of commercial locking single gang coverplate I guess.

Any thoughts are appreciated....

Gary
02-14-2005, 11:08 AM
Sonance K2 http://sonance.com/subs/product_details.php?product_id=133

or B&K CK 1.2 http://www.bkcomp.com/keypad.asp would both work great.

What do you consider low cost?

whdigital
02-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Well, by relatively inexpensive I meant that I didn't want to try to throw a big Crestron system at it. (It's a non-profit church so we're cutting features/costs where reasonable) Putting the factory remote in a lock box would also work, I would just love to do a wall mount control as remotes get lost.

I'd never seen that Sonance before so that's a neat idea! Might be over-kill in that it implies volume controls, etc. but I'll look into it... Have you ever used the Xantech 598-00 keypad with a 590 controller before?

Thanks for the response!

The8thst
02-15-2005, 02:45 PM
I will second the K2 suggestion because it is completely self contained and extremely easy to program.

The keypad comes with blank key inserts to put in the source buttons (the right side) otherwise just use the side buttons as the individual sources and use the corresponding inserts.
On the touch panel portion just have two big buttons one for "Power On" the other for "Power Off"

The K2 also lets you easily secure any button you want with a 4 digit number.
You press the button and a numeric keypad shows up so you enter the four numbers and press enter before the command is sent.
All that with power sensing and built in relays at a very low price.

My only warning is that once you use the product once you will start to use it in more and more jobs.
If you need me to order one of these for you just email me and I would be happy to.
Here is a link to the free software for it... http://www2.sonance.com/download/navk12setup.zip

The8thst
02-15-2005, 02:48 PM
This would also work:
http://sonance.com/subs/product_details.php?product_id=325
Single gang keypad with buttons for 4 sources and use the up and down buttons for power.
No option to secure the buttons though.

whdigital
02-15-2005, 06:18 PM
The K2 does look really nice and I have Sonance through distribution so it's not a problem - just never put one in before. It has me wondering if I can somehow convert the room's PA volume control to be run off the K2 as well... The existing VC is run off 5 conductors back to another VC near the mixer/amp. I'll check it out.

Anyway, do I assume the the K2 just needs a Navigator Dock to complete the picture for IR?

Thanks for all the thoughts on this one...

PHSJason
02-15-2005, 06:45 PM
We did a conference room with a Projector, DVD, VCR, laptop port, two dedicated computers, and 2 channel audio. We used the Sonance K1 master keypad as they wanted something that anyone who came into the room could use. It controlled the projector, as well as the other gear with a few simple macros.

Jason

One thing we did run into when doing a stand alone projector, is to make sure you figure out the delays from power on until you can change inputs. With some PJs it can be as long a 30 seconds and at that point having the management system can save a lot of headaches.

whdigital
02-15-2005, 07:05 PM
You are right about the delays. One of the cool things about this little BenQ they have is that it automatically scrolls through the inputs looking for active ones. Normally I hate that, but in this case there is a wall plate with VGA for a laptop and composite and s-video for dvd and vcr. ALL the gear is brought to the wall plate and plugged in for that one use; makes the autosync input helpful. With the K2 though I can certainly make buttons that will fire the intended input as well.

The8Thst's warning is well heeded... this K2 looks addicting!

The8thst
02-15-2005, 09:52 PM
You don't need a navdoc or anything to use the K2.
Just send it 12v and connect the IR and Ground just like any xantech device.
Wire it straight to a connecting block or right onto an emitter. Works either way.

PHSJason
03-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Another option is the Extron product. They have a product to do just what you are looking for: MLC-104 (http://www.extron.com/product/product.asp?id=mlc104&subtype=26)

Jason