PDA

View Full Version : Discrete IR codes for Scientific Atlanta Boxes

Toronto122
02-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Yes, I've been to Remote Central, nothing.

I need discrete on/off codes for Sci-Atl cable boxes...anyone, anyone?

MikeTech
02-14-2005, 01:36 PM
I believe the best we can do is a 0, exit for discrete ON for these boxes. Change the setup options to power on by numeric button press.
Good Luck
Mike

Toronto122
02-14-2005, 01:43 PM
I'm assuming that you mean to go into the setup menu and set this function...

My box (an 8300 HD PVR) doesn't have it.

It's getting kinda frustrating.

vwpower44
02-14-2005, 03:47 PM
No discretes for the 8300 that i know about.

Mike

The8thst
02-15-2005, 02:33 PM
For the 8300 the "power with numeric" feature that Mike Tech is refering to is in the bios, but only enable by a VERY limited number of cable companies... so it is very likely that you don't have that option.

Just power sense using the outlet on the back of the cable box.

gp1200racing
02-17-2005, 01:18 PM
You do not want to turn them off anyway. The scaler in them dosnt like to be turned off and on. Any way why cant you just 12volt sync it?

Toronto122
02-17-2005, 05:19 PM
I want the discretes because of power failures. If there's a power failure when one of my clients is watching TV, the box powers off, but the touch panels stay in their current state. Needless to say, we get alot of people who can't simply turn on a cable box. It really does have to be simple stupid.

sirroundsound
02-20-2005, 10:52 AM
We leave them "on", when using a pronto or like remote I add a power button to the page. Just in case.

vwpower44
02-20-2005, 11:54 AM
Set the timer to turn the unit on every morning at 5 or 6:00. Settings, A button, cursor to Power on Timer, set the timer to turn on everyweekday. There is now way to have it turn on every day. Only choices are individual days, weekends or weekdays, We always set ours to weekdays.
5 out of seven is better than nothing.

Mike

MikeCAT
02-20-2005, 07:40 PM
The other thing to consider is that Sci Atl is adding an "auto off" feature that powers off the box around 1am if no button is pressed after a warning display on the screen. The tech (actually did know what he was talking about, even knew what discretes were) told me they added that for auto firmware updates and to allow the box to "rest" when not in use. Man, is it that hard to add discretes at the manf. level?

The8thst
02-20-2005, 07:55 PM
I had a problem with the 8300 boxes where even the timer would not turn the box back on after it did the auto shutdown.
It needed a power command to turn on and just ignored the timer telling it to turn on.

So I still haven't found a solution other than sensing the power and going from there.

Toronto122
02-21-2005, 05:36 PM
You'd think that with that many boxes out there, they'd put a discrete code in...I guess we have to keep contacting Sci-Atl.
www.sciatl.com

ejfiii
02-22-2005, 07:26 AM
I hate this $#@% so much. What freakin' planet are these companies operating on?

I am installing my first 8000DVR and get this, not only does it automatically turn off at night and number presses don't turn it on, but it only outputs 1080i or 480i. Then, when you select stretch on the cable box, it not only stretches the non hd channels, it also stretches the 16:9 HD programs right off the sides of the screen.

WTF?

yes, i know the 8300dvr is better, but try telling the client that they need to go get a different box.

The8thst
02-22-2005, 08:00 AM
I hate this $#@% so much. What freakin' planet are these companies operating on?

I am installing my first 8000DVR and get this, not only does it automatically turn off at night and number presses don't turn it on, but it only outputs 1080i or 480i. Then, when you select stretch on the cable box, it not only stretches the non hd channels, it also stretches the 16:9 HD programs right off the sides of the screen.

WTF?

yes, i know the 8300dvr is better, but try telling the client that they need to go get a different box.

Deep breath big guy, we can fix one of your problems, but the stretch one is hopeless. It can be avoided though.

1. Turn on the TV to watch the cable box
2. Turn the cable box off
3. Press and hold the top two buttons on the left (guide and info I believe)
4. Go through the Advanced Setup
5. Select you tvs aspect ratio
6. Select/save EVERY format you can view
7. Finish setup and turn box back on
8. Go into the menu and go to picture format
9. Set it to 'Pass Through'
10. Turn the cable box's stretch to normal

Now the cable box passes the signal through in its native resolution and you can use the TV to zoom instead of the cable box.
Most TV's are smart enough to lock onto a 16x9 signal, so the zoom issue is then resolved. Not to mention the TV probably does a MUCH better job of it than the cheapy cable box.

Hope that helps some.

ejfiii
02-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Thats awesome. Everything I read said the passthrough wasn't enabled, so I didn't bother to try to find a way into the advanced menu. I will try it next time I'm on site next week.

Thanks very much though.

E. J.

ejfiii
03-06-2005, 06:11 PM
Okay, so I'm at my clients house (my parents) and I say again:

I HATE THIS S#^$!

I have selected all formats but there is still no native rate option in the 'regular' menu. How much sense does that make? Make every output available, but only a fixed output possible.

Thanks for trying to help though.

The8thst
03-06-2005, 10:54 PM
In the menu for picture format you select 'pass through' and it will pass the native rate through, there is no 'native rate' option.
Sorry if I wasn't clear.

vwpower44
03-07-2005, 07:08 AM
Teh New SA boxes in Cincy do not allow you to change to pass. the boxes are the SA8250, SA8300, and another one I cannot remember. We just select the native rate of the video device we are putting in. Kind of sucks.

Mike

ejfiii
03-07-2005, 07:11 AM
Sorry I wasn't clear. We are like Mike - no pass through setting in the menu.

Oh well.

The8thst
03-08-2005, 09:12 AM
If I was you guys I would get everyone you know with a phone to call and bitch to the cable company. There are two options hidden in the SA firmware that should be enabled by every cable company.
1. The pass-through - I didn't know that was ever disabled, but it is completely assinine to do so.
2. Power on numeric - as close to descrete power as we'll ever get.

I have had luck with getting the ball rolling for the poewr on numeric in MN, but its still a ways off.

If the cable company suddenly gets 50 calls to the right person (do you best to get transfered to the 'main line' its tough to do, but that is their head end operator line) and say you are no where near satisfied with the scaling that is happening within the SA box and you know the feature is built into the firmware by the manufacturer and you want it activated now or you and everyone you know and do work for will be switching to satellite.

It is at least worth a try.... raise hell.