PDA

View Full Version : Phonic WMSYS4 wireless audio

Ghost
01-21-2009, 01:18 PM
I needed a wireless audio solution for a surround sound system, that I could not get wires to the rear speakers.
I went with the Phonic WMSYS4 system (614-865MHz), thinking since it was a semi-pro solution and more expensive than the crappy cheap solutions commonly found, that it might work OK.
The Phonic wireless transmitter was installed in a cabinet next to a Denon receiver, 1 wooden door between it and the Phonic wireless receivers located just 19 feet away at the back of the room. AudioSource monoblock amps driving Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 bookshelf speakers. 1ft balanced cable from Phonic wireless receiver to AudioSource amp.

1st: The build quality of these thin plastic boxes does NOT impress me, feels very cheap. The switches on the units are equally as cheap feeling.
2nd: The first system I got had a defective unit. Had to RA another one. The second system I got worked.
3rd: The sound quality was not very good for the price (not any better than the cheap Terk, etc... units out there).
4th: After a few days, the customer complained of hearing noise from rear speakers every now & then (main system was off). I switched from a low channel to a high channel to get away from that frequency.
5th: After a few months, the customer is now complaining of a noise that has started coming from the rear speakers (rather loud) all the time. Had the customer turn down the AudioSource amps till I get out and pull this wireless POS.

I'm going to try Applied Wireless now (902-928MHz). There AT900-32 & AR900-32 is going to cost me almost twice as much as the Phonic but hopefully it will work. Customer is going to pay the difference, as I always tell people in the beginning "Wireless doesn't work, unless it's a phone or internet - and not always then". I still eat some of the cost of the Phonic system however.

So, in conclusion:
This was an ideal situation. I noticed no interference in the 614-865MHz band before installing, not much operates in the band either; no TV stations in our area in those frequencies, not near any water for marine comm, no airport nearby. I noticed no towers or transmit antennas anywhere near by (pager, AM/FM, CB, etc...). It was only 19 feet to each wireless receiver, with only a wood door in the way of line-of-sight.
Has anyone else used these before? Any success? I'm finding them to be way overpriced junk.