PDA

View Full Version : Rack Mounted XBox 360

jwalkup
01-24-2006, 10:55 PM
Using the Middle Atlantic XBOX360 rackshelf. Can the faceplate be changed without removing it from the Rackshelf.

nholmes
01-27-2006, 08:34 PM
Damn MA already has a 360 RSH unit? Guess I will have to place and order for one next rack I build.

But sorry I obviously don't know the answer to your question.

AHEM
01-27-2006, 10:50 PM
I just want to say that anyone who custom rack mounts an XBox 360 is a hero in my book

Glackowitz
01-27-2006, 11:20 PM
We have rack mounted several Playstation 2's..the older large ones as well as a few regular xboxes

all in MA shelves, also did one a few weeks ago..the new smaller top load PS2 on a sliding shelf, gave them a power cord and interconnects zip tied to the back of the shlef so the kids could take it out and over to their friends if needed, all they had to do was unplug power and the interconnects and away they went

georgep
01-28-2006, 01:44 AM
We've put in two.

One in a clients rack that got on on the first day. The MA shelf was not out yet. It fit in a Dish 811 RSH we had laying around. Just had to make some temporary black sides for the narrower X-Box. Will replace it with the new shelf.

2nd one is in our office...

Warning, this thing is a FLAME THROWER. It continuously generates a large volume of very warm air. Be sure you have your rack chambers properly vented with fans. I would say that it easily generates more heat than all of the other components in the large rack combined. Including amps, Dish 811 and 942 etc.

It also has the worlds largest external power brick. Larger than a full size real brick.

I think MS is in for a lot of warranty issues with the heat level. That fan must work really hard to cool the chassis. If/when it fails, that box will melt unless they have some auto shutdown logic designed in.

It should have had a digital (HDMI) video connection. Component HD looks great but digital should have been in there.

The wireless controllers work great through the closed cabinet doors. You can also now turn on/off the unit from the wireless controllers.

The client has it on their Runco 61" plasma. We tripple warned them on burn in potential. Their son plays it constantly and so far it has not resulted in anything noticable.

George P.

nholmes
01-28-2006, 07:42 PM
Yeah they do put off a lot of heat and the brick is just rediculous. But the picture of DOA4 on my 114" screen thrown by my CRT FP is just breathtaking. Here is a rather poor pic taken with a digicam for an idea. I have 4 wireless controllers setup and they work over 15 feet away and through the full rack of equipment and wall seperating the 2 rooms.

http://users.adelphia.net/~nholmes1/theaterweb/doa4.jpg

brandenpro
07-09-2006, 03:33 PM
360 could possibly be getting HDMI soon.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=529543

Maybe a internal HD-DVD also.

TonyAngelo
07-13-2006, 07:49 AM
The shelf must be removed to get the face plate off on any Middle Atlantic custom shelf.

2ndRick
08-09-2006, 12:48 PM
I just bought a 360... and I can confirm the heat issue.
I want to rack mount mine to try to isolate some of that noise!! Damn that thing makes a lot of racket!!

I have mine sitting on the little glass shelves under the TV, maybe that amplifies the sound a little bit...

I saw a little accessory fan for the 360 that plugs into the power socket on the console, and then has a matching power socket where the cord connects. I guess it just passes through the power and leeches just enough juice to run the little fan. I will add one when I mount mine, but I don't want to add any more noise right now... and still probably use a MAP fan in the rack.

eastonaltree
08-15-2006, 11:46 PM
How does rach mounting affect the performance of your controllers? I would assume that encasing the 360 in so much metal would cause range issues. I am asking because I want to do this at my condo with a remote mounted rach that is on the opposite side of a 6" concrete dividing wall from my main viewing area.

CCD
08-16-2006, 12:19 AM
I HATE VIDEO GAMES! but the 360 turned my head this week when I networked one with a HTPC that was in the bedroom 1 floor above. That thing is a DAMNED FINE media server. I had the customer's head spinning with the potential of this thing. Mine too. My eyes were really opened!

eastonaltree
08-16-2006, 12:23 AM
Just wait until you download some 720p content with it and play it back, it looks great. They have an abundance of movie and game trailers that will blow your mind. Also the games are getting pretty nuts as well. Check out Ghost Recon and Fight Night round 3. Jaw droppers.

Audiophiliac
08-16-2006, 12:54 AM
Ghost Recon is fun. But lately, I have become addicted to Tiger Woods Golf. :) Much fun!

discipletx
08-16-2006, 11:15 AM
Call of Duty 2 is my current favorite. Gears of war comes out in November with the best graphics to date.

Brian

Beau
09-05-2006, 11:14 PM
The shelf must be removed to get the face plate off on any Middle Atlantic custom shelf.

Not entirely true...If you loosen the shelf and pull it out an inch or so you can bend the tabs that hold the faceplate on and tweak it to get the device out without removing the entire shelf.

Just did a retro where the previous installation company ran all the flashers through the shelf slots! I had to get creative and remove the broken VCR out without removing the entire shelf...pretty easy really just tweak the top two tabs and bend back into place when you are done.

krasmuzik
09-05-2006, 11:35 PM
I have to keep finding excuses "warranty support" "retweak" to check out the 360 on 11' widescreen - mindblowing! Did not get any pics as there was no way to freeze the screen from the xbox itself (did not have the secret button for the projector)

Guy is in the video game biz - he has yet to move his work 360 into the theater - that one has all the unreleased stuff on it so he can get his walkthru books out when the games come out.

Hopefully projector companies use the XBOX360 for demos at CEDIA - much better than either Hidef DVD format! Games are always higher contrast and more colors than real life!

Anyways he mentioned the noise issue - as I brought up the soundproofing as far as more massive doors being needed - and he said he cannot hear the outside traffic noises over the damn XBOX! (train/planes/tugs/trucks - rare F15 & Blackhawk from the national guard base!)

Beau
09-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Just went through 360 hell...apparently the less than 8 month old Linksys Rt042 QoS router we had in place didn't like the Xbox...with no "MTU" adjustments available to make the Xbox happy I had to replace it with a new one. There is a list on Xbox.com with the approved routers/bridges etc...I just got the WRT300N Wireless N router and it now works like a charm...just an FYI if you are going to do X-Box Live be prepared to possible replace the router.

Well...in addition to that fun...after 2 days the box now is flashing a red light and showing an E 79 error code...some sort of hardware failure...and according to xbox forums there is a secret code...the secret error code is 1433 - anybody know about this? Reading through the hundreds of posts on the xbox forum gives me the impression that these things are junk and dying left and right! This one is going back tomorrow...hopefully I'll get a good one this time around. Friggen microsoft! Argh!

TonyAngelo
09-11-2006, 08:15 AM
Apparently the internal cooling system can't keep up with the excessive heat the thing generates. Microsoft is supposedly working on a new liquid cooling system, but I haven't heard any kind of timelines on it.