PDA

View Full Version : Elan S12?

georgep
02-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Any of you Elan dealers put in S12's yet?

We'll be doing our first one soon and would like to know if there are any known issues with them at this point.

I'm ordering it earlier than usual so we can program the Via!'s and Z-250's at our office and run it for a while.

Thanks,

georgep

MikeTech
02-17-2005, 09:52 PM
I just finished a 3 chasis system. If your a fan of Elan you'll love it. This system has so many more options than the others. Easy to install and program. No complaints, its been up and running for about a month now with no issues.
Mike

MikeTech
02-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Come on... none of you Elan guys have done one yet? I met a guy from Conn. at a "training class" which actually turned out to be a product description class who has had one running for a few months... unsure how he got his hands on the equipmet so early. The only problems he had at the time were his camera overlay pages, although i think it was a programming error. I have overlays on my camera and cable pages without a problem.
Mike

Shadowman68
02-23-2005, 04:02 PM
I havent put one in yet. Am quoting one for a guy right now for HDTV distribution. Im hoping he bites, Im pretty anxious to put one in.

PHSJason
02-23-2005, 04:50 PM
We have several specced in at this point, just waiting for the finish installs to happen. We wanted to wait until it was physically shipping before we pitched it to customers. We actually had one sold a year ago, but went another route when we couldn't get it in time for the install last May. Once they started shipping, we started selling them. Our average house takes around 6-8 months from pre-wire to finish so we are getting close......

Jason

Shadowman68
02-24-2005, 03:51 PM
Elan has been pretty bad of late with the new product intros. The Via2, intro'd 2 yrs ago at Cedia and still not shipping. The S12 was about a year delayed. Has been quite frustrating. Today I just got an email saying the Via40 was now available. I didnt even get word of this from my rep until 2 months ago. i guess they are trying to clean up their act.

georgep
02-24-2005, 08:31 PM
They are taking orders for the Via 4.0 now but will ship in April.

We'll see...

georgep
02-24-2005, 08:33 PM
Mike,

Did you use the new PS12 panel or wire straight to the S12?

Thanks for your feedback.

georgep

MikeTech
02-24-2005, 08:52 PM
I wired my keypads straight to the S12 and my Vias to a PS12. Just added a PVIA 10 power supply.
Mike

MikeTech
02-25-2005, 09:04 AM
George - are you integrating any security controls into the Vias? This was the only problem i had with the job and after much troubleshooting and no help from anybody i had to actually screw up the inbetween connnector and let it run and then readjust. No problems since and nobody knows how or why.
Good Luck.

Mike

georgep
02-25-2005, 11:38 PM
Mike,

No security controls in this job. (it will be stand alone)

We are doing a number of the usual A/V sources plus: AudioRequest, RadioRA(RS-232), Cameras and some relay triggered water features, pool area lights etc.

I expect the clients check to arrive Saturday or Monday then well order the system.

Thanks,

georgep

Shadowman68
02-26-2005, 12:11 PM
Mike what security system are you using on that install?

MikeTech
02-26-2005, 12:14 PM
We used an HAI omni proII.

Shadowman68
02-26-2005, 02:15 PM
have you ever used DSC. I have heard that they are a pain in the ass to integrate into the S12.

MikeTech
02-26-2005, 04:41 PM
Never used DSC. We do a lot of Napco stuff and a few Hai. From my experience there are no Security systems that are fun to work with.

Shadowman68
02-26-2005, 11:02 PM
I hate doing security, but it seems to be a necessary evil to get jobs around here. I have worked with DSC and Ademco. The Ademco panel is a pain to set up. DSC is pretty straight forward to setup and program. they need to update the design of their PIR's. In comparison, they are like the old brick style cell phones.

SSI
03-17-2005, 09:48 PM
We have done several security system interfaces using the APEX destiny 6100 with the 232 interface. All the clients love the fact that they can arm/diarm the system from any place in the house. This panel has many features that work well with an integrated whole house system.I have also integrated the Jandy Pool controls, Lutron and HVAC control. I have only installed two of the S12 chassis in two jobs. I'm quite impressed with everthing that I've seen this far. The home run with this product is the High Def video switching. I had 4 dual chassis HD systems in thee last 6-12 months that were expensive because of the cost of Extron component swithcers and the problem of trying to control the Extron with with IR rather than serial and the additional programing time. The S12 is point and shoot.

Crazyone
09-12-2005, 08:01 AM
Ive put in quite a few already, and its a great product. Including 3 chassis at the VP' of elans house and 70+ amp channels, pretty neat stuff!

The first few revs before the mods had some issues, but they are rock solid now, as with any new product testing in house and the real world tend to yield differant results. But now its an awesome product.

Shoot me any specific questions if you like

Brandon