PDA

View Full Version : Colorado vNet - Anyone had experience with their stuff?

jhildred
05-22-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm trying to get a feel for how people are using their systems and how they have got on with any installs? They seem to trying to go for a market below the Crestron/AMX and maybe Control4 customers with more limited functionality and lower pricing - is this working out for folks?

jritch
05-23-2009, 09:53 AM
What kind of info are you looking for?

vNet is not a true control system. It is a lighting control system and/or a distributed audio system. It will also interface with specific subsystems (security, HVAC, CCTV) to give you feedback on the touchpanels.

vNet has some pretty sexy panels for the price point, and the setup on the audio is pretty much on the level of a 5th grader. It's a walk-through where you name and ID your components and it automatically builds the scripts and sends them to the components.

On the lighting side, the Builder programming software is fairly straight forward and easy to use. There are some programming steps that I wish were easier to change, but for the most part it does the job. We have had some specific issues with the equipment, that I won't get into in the open forum, but we eventually got it figured out and the installs that we have out there are working fine.

We do Niles ICS also, and the vNet is an upsell for audio because of the touchpanels. If we are putting in lighting control the vNet is a given for the audio as well. Both are lacking in a Media Room control offering. vNet doesn't have an option and I hate the iRemote TS. I like the sound of the traditional amplification of the ICS, but the vNet systems sound pretty good for small digital amps.

PM or email me if you want any specific questions answered.

John

jhildred
05-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Thanks John

It does seem that your experience matches what I've been told about the system being limited (or focused if you prefer) on certain key areas rather than 'we can do anything' approach of the more expensive players.

Anyone else had any experience with vNet?

Briremo
05-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Hi Jez, How've you been.

We use CVnet and have been very happy with it. We have not used the DA system. Dont like the fact the audio is not available in a family room system via OSD.

Good products for us so far.

jhildred
05-25-2009, 12:33 PM
Hi Jez, How've you been.

We use CVnet and have been very happy with it. We have not used the DA system. Dont like the fact the audio is not available in a family room system via OSD.

Good products for us so far.

I'm ticking along as they say.

Thanks for the feedback. What elements have you used if not the DA stuff? Why did you choose vNet for those things? Price? Functionality? Is the lack of OSD they only thing stopping you from using the DA element?

Briremo
05-29-2009, 03:24 PM
yes because I think its silly for a client to have to invest in another TP and speakers to put in audio in a room that already has a surround sound system.

jritch
05-29-2009, 04:46 PM
yes because I think its silly for a client to have to invest in another TP and speakers to put in audio in a room that already has a surround sound system.

They do have somewhat of a workaround on this...

You use the audio out of a remote touchpanel into an unused input on your surround receiver. You have to send IR back to the other touchpanel, and the other zone will come on as well. They have some discrete IR commands for the touchpanel as far as sources, power, volume, etc. I have a copy of them if you want to see it.