PDA

View Full Version : Hotel audio distribution

vette84
03-07-2006, 02:38 PM
We have been asked by a guy building a hotel to give him a price on a music dist system. I'm not sure which way to go on this. Standard speakers, big amps, and VCs, or a 70v system. He wants paging capability, so at a minimum a commercial mixer is gonna be there.

So what do you guys that have done commercial work recommend.

The basic layout is:

30 in-ceiling speakers distributed between 3 floors
7 speakers in a pool area
8 total zones, VCs at central location
1 source (Muzak sat, I assume, provided by the chain)

Fastfred
03-07-2006, 02:56 PM
commercial audio = 70 volts.

crown amps, atlas or jbl pro speakers, bogen

more info, please! You say 8 total zones, yet only one source. Do you want to zone page, where by picking up a phone they can select which zone they want to page to? In other words, when you page, you can select which area you wish to page to? (Maintenance, please collect the floater from the pool...) (that was for carl at remote central.)

vette84
03-07-2006, 05:03 PM
Paging will be system wide only.

n_stallr
03-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Gotta go with Fred... 70 volt system. 3 floors of runs, central rack. I've used the Crown Amps, they're bulletproof. Could use almost any speaker.. just add a transformer. Maybe a dbx zonepro? Lots of possibilities. I'd refine EXACTLY what they want, which speakers in which zone, do they have a conference room they might want local source access, ect. and DEFINATELY plan for expansion capabilities.

avophile
03-07-2006, 06:09 PM
RBH has got some in ceiling speaker cans with a variety of 70 volt taps. Not too pricey and they sound nice, too!

http://www.rbhsound.com/mc615_70.shtml

The cans are pretty deep-beware!

idodishez
03-07-2006, 11:32 PM
Hope his name isnt Patel

vette84
03-08-2006, 01:13 AM
Actually, it's Jatin... close enough. I'm kinda thinking he'll see our quote and go away.

So guys, tell me if I'm way off base or not. Going mostly with Fred's brand recommendation.

Bogen C35
2- Crown CH1
8- Atlas AT100
30- Atlas FAP40T
8- Atlas SM52T

Since the in-ceilings will be mostly in hallways, I figured the small ones would work. I was also thinking dedicating one of the crowns to the outdoors.

Kelly
03-08-2006, 06:35 AM
Hope his name isnt Patel

Now THAT is funny.......

I recently sold all the HT equipment to our local "Patel" for his personal home. He had his 15yo son do the install, because in his words "it's really not all that hard, my son has done much research on the computer. And beside, if he need help, he can always call you".

Son of course made a real mess of things....... :lol:

Fastfred
03-08-2006, 07:37 AM
You might want to look at your tap values. I think it's high, especially on the interior hall speakers. You could, theoretically, tap those at 30 watts. That would put you at around 103 dB in the hallways.

If you work with Capitol Sales, please call me and I'll walk you through the process. You're in the right neighborhood, but I think we could do better....

idodishez
03-08-2006, 07:50 AM
Hope his name isnt Patel

because in his words "it's really not all that hard, my son has done much research on the computer. :

Or as they tell me: ""Not to simplify what you do, but it's all just wires isn't it?"

vette84
03-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Will do, Fred. Time to get edumacated!