PDA

View Full Version : Review: Cheap ($130) but solid Remote control curtains

IVB
03-13-2006, 06:28 PM
I haven't yet integrated this into my whole HT/HA setup; i was going to pursue an IR integration scheme, but someone may help me do this via contact closures, which could be cool as it'd be much more stable.

(i'm not affiliated with tech-home, which is where I bought this thing from and put a link to. I'm attaching that page just so you can get more info, as they have data that I'm not repeating. This is just a simple review from a guy who just put up in his house)

Just got & mounted some relatively cheap ($130) IR controllable curtain rods (http://tech-home.com/product_info.php?products_id=903) for the H/T room, thought you guys would want to know.

I'm planning on taking full advantage of the IR and not actually manually interacting with them unless absolutely necessary. This means:
- Use my home theater/home automation package (CQC)'s event scheduler to open up the curtains every day at 7am [until I get a cheap ($20) photosensor, in which case I'll do it once there's sufifcient daylight. I don't want to open up these curtains until need be]
- On TV is turned on, have CQC close curtains as it shines too bright a glare on my plasma.
- Have CQC open curtains when TV is turned off.
- Have CQC close curtains when it's dark out.

Obviously any PC package that has USB-UIRT support can be modified to do some of this [ie use SageTV or Xlobby to do the same as above, but since they don't do RS232 control of TVs or photosensors, instead of "TV-on", do it on "DVD or TV start"]. Also, obviously any IR remote can also be taught the codes. I haven't yet done that either, but will do shortly.

So on to the review of the curtain:

Pro's:
1) Definitely very solid and heavy metal, doesn't feel cheap at all.
2) It comes with 4 rods to do a 4-wide window. The base unit is exactly the right size for a standard US window size
3) IR control means I can use MX850 or USB-UIRT to control.
3) Relatively cheap

Cons
1) The manual is poorly written, and the pics are very fuzzy and hard to follow. After attempting to decipher it for 20 mins, I gave up and looked at the rods and reverse-engineered how it works by plugging it in and trying random stuff. Then again, that's how I do everything - why should this be any different.
2)It comes with a wired control unit & the wireless remote. I snipped the wires off the control unit as it was pretty ugly.
3) I wish they would diagram the wires so I could use a contact closure where the hardwired unit was to have PC monitor what the current state was (i.e., opened/closed via MX850 remote)

Here's some videos of it on the table. They're bet 1-2MB in size, except for the last one, which is 5MB.

Me banging on it to show you how strong it is (http://www.myhometheaterpc.com/temp/MVI_6219.AVI)

Sample movement with it "on the bench" (http://www.myhometheaterpc.com/temp/MVI_6220.AVI)

Final product - Mounted Curtain opening. (http://www.myhometheaterpc.com/images/MVI_6309.AVI)

idodishez
03-13-2006, 08:31 PM
While I may get slammed for this (wouldnt be the first time this week) that is the exact same setup I have in my showroom. I have three huge windows, and the Lutron models were NOT in the budget for a new store.

That said, I would not put them in a customers home.

Yes, the instructions SUCK

rather noisy

yes, hardwired remote is fugly

doesnt seem very solid when using the "extensions" kinda flimsy

every once in a while they will bind, nor going the full travel length w/o "help" Granted, I have HUGE windows, and I am using room darkening drape liners. so it not exactly light. would prob be more stable w reg drapes.

its supposed to have 8 different i/r codes. I havent had luck w that entirely. some drape sets will respond to other codes, etc

However, I knew I was getting what I paid for. I just wanted some more "wow" factor for the s/room theatre when demo'ing. this did the trick. if someone actually wants some, Ill bid the real stuff.

btw, Im using an mrf-300 w flashers attached to the motors i/r target "pigtail"

IVB
09-29-2006, 01:13 PM
FYI: 6 months later, these are still fine and achieving the desired objective: Automated opening/closing of curtains for our loft windows that are unreachable by hand. No performance or reliability issues.

I tried once to teach the IR codes to my MX850, didn't work the very first time, didn't care enough to do it again. I just leave the curtain remote in a hidden spot on top of my speakers, so we always know where it is. I also haven't yet tried to use my PC to do it, mainly b/c I cut off those wires and now will have a hard time connecting a LV wire so I can have a predictable on/off.

All that said, the wife doesn't want them in a more visible location as they're unattractive enough and won't let her use the shades/curtains that she likes. She wants me to look at other options (i.e., Lutron) for the next set that's more visible (in 2 or more years, which is when she thinks this'll be at the top of the priority queue).

Although, I bet that if Louis Vuitton or Burberry made curtains that went with this, she'd rethink her position.

AudibleSolutions
09-30-2006, 06:11 PM
I dislike using IR for shades though I have done it. I believe the best method for controlling one or two shades is a relay. If there are lots of shades I prefer RS-232 relay boards. Obviously, if you go with a QED or Somfy ILT motor you have more control options via the proprietary shade control link. I control the roman shades with a home brew relay solution I adopted from a 12v web site. Essentially, its a DPDT and a SPST relay where one of the poles on the DPDT controls the negative feeding the coil on the SPST relay. This mechanically interlocks the relay which I also do in software. By the way, both relays with sockets cost about $30 in total.

Alan

idodishez
09-30-2006, 09:00 PM
I gave up on the i/r for mine. Too unpredictable. I ended up hardwring to an PR-6 relay, and it works. (I disasembled the fugly hardwired remote and tied to that)

PAAI
10-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Just curious Alan, Why did you do the interlock in software and not on a pair of relay contacts?

I have my first RS-232 Shade control to do this fall. The lighting designer wants to use HV relays, but that will require another Vantage Panel in an already small condo. I hope I get to use the addressable RS-232 solution :)

Frank , I had to hardwire a Shitty Electric fireplace in a basement with two relays to the RF remote, because the fireplace would not respond to the HV relay control. All this because of the fact, she wanted to use the smelly, crappy electric heater feature in the fireplace. Now picture in your mind what 6months worth of dust smells like on an electric heating element.

I wanted to just turn up the heat on the thermostat with the "fireplace" button, but I was overruled. Got paid, got done, got out. I feel your pain.

crestrontech
10-20-2006, 06:22 PM
what brand of mech -link is bad