PDA

View Full Version : Dish Network 722 Problems

chadshell
07-28-2009, 08:48 PM
I have now 2 project which I have installed 722 tuners in connected with HDMI. After they're installed for a few weeks they begin having problems with the video signal flickering in/out; pixel structure breaking up which has green dots in image and eventually the image itself appears to be loosing the picture all together_ though the TV often times is maintaining the sync so it knows the box is connected but image goes in/out or just out completely. The symptoms vary from place to place and box to box but ultimately turn into the image going in/out. In some cases we've had TVs go bad... which I honestly can't determine at this point if it's the TV or something causing it from the source_ which I doubt based on use using Gefen fiber HDMI cables with the copper jumpers at each end.

It seems that when we change the HDMI cables at the box; different cables may yield different results... breifly but then the problems start over again_ may be in 15 minutes, may be in 2 weeks but they always come back... like the cables are building up capacitance inline and once they reach a certain level the problems start. Saying that, I have trouble understanding how we could have such severe capacitance issues using fiber cables with 3 ft jumpers at each end (which by the way we've changed to numerous brands at this point). If the fiber cable have a problem I also have a difficult time understanding how it would work flawlessly for weeks before showing signs of this problem.

Lastly, in these 2 houses, they are wired differently_ one uses Gefen fiber HDMI cables; the other we've terminated our own fiber and are using fiber to HDMI encoders/decoders at each end and we've had a problem going between a Dish tuner and a Runco scalar which is connected via 3' cable at the rack.

The ends of the HDMI cables are quite hot when we pull them from the socket on the tuner... as if the heat at the HDMI connection is exceeding the functional temp which the connector on the box and the cable is capable of handling.

Even though we can prove to the clients that the problem is isolated to their boxes (as this doesn't happen with any other sources even if we use the satellite box HDMI cables); they have a tough time believing that Dish has a problem with their box and are more likely to believe that we have done something wrong.

So is anyone else having this problem... that you know of? Any solution other than liquid cooling the HDMI socket inside the tuner?... oh yeah, these homes both have equipment rooms with local AC units installed so heat in the room or circulating around the gear is not an issue.

mdelzer
07-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Have you done a search on DBStalk.com for known issues with the 722? There can be a lot to sift through, but there might be something worthy there. Also I see you are using fiber extenders, have you tried putting a TV at the box to test it for the same result? It may not be practical(cheap), but sometimes it takes a lot to convince the chef...I mean property managers that you know what your doing. :D

Mark