PDA

View Full Version : HomeLogic system

idodishez
03-21-2006, 05:02 PM
Well I thoght I'd post this for anyone interested. These are just my initial observations, and i am by no means an expert reviewer like many on here. As such, some of my comments may seem obvious to the more experiences guys. This is also VERY early in the install process. All I have connected as far as "sub systems" right now is distributed audio and messaging.

I installed the system and had it talking to the sub systems in about a day. So far this is what has stuck out.

I have some doubts on their suppoort capabilities. A lot of the questions I posed to them seemed to be new to them. That concerns me when I thought I was going with a proven track record, and not a Control 4 style Beta test:) They DID however, (confirmned by other H/L dealers as well) seem VERY interested in wanting to know WHAT it is we need/want, and actually pursuing it.

Issues I have come across so far, in no particular order

1. No ability to control/monitor sub (A-bus) zones of the Russound CAV6 DA system.
2. No digital audio out (Id like to be able to use the media server as a source for a main theatre room, and have more than just the in-wall speakers)
3. No video out for Media server GUI to a NON touchpad equipped (but TV equipped) room (Like the Escient or Request would have) (Again, Id like to be able to use in a main theatre room, that is not part of the DA system. No KP, TP, etc)
4. System locked up on me a few times. (That may have been more a Java issue than a H/L issue)

Some "possible" concerns. These may be just due to my lack of training on the product yet.

1. Seems to be nothing more than a (salty) regular PC with their software installed.
2. They claim immunity to viruses, spyware etc as its "embedded" XP, has no e-mail, and is a limited browser. It appears to have full browser capabilities however, and if I recall correctly, even uses I/E as a browser. How would this be immune to spyware? (EDIT, I may be jumping the gun on this one)
3. No ability to view/sort media by cover art. Cover art is only shown AFTER the song is playing.
4. The "messaging" function kept wanting to sieze the phone line. Often I would pick up the phone to have no dial tone, as the H/L was latching the phone line. this is probably more an "operator error" issue. For now I left the phone line un-plugged until I get more info.
5. I am so far unable to control a sat ird from the H/L TP, that was already being controlled via IR from the CAV6 S2 keypads. Probably more so an "operator error" on my part, but again tech support seemed a little fuzzy on the issue

Things that I noticed that are GOOD so far.

1. VERY easy to program. I did it (granted, limited so far), with no training whatsoever.

2. Love the ability to access both the consumer functions and the tech/configuration functions REMOTELY from any browser. I can program/tweak it as needed without a road trip.

3. Inexpensive alternative for a media server. For the same amount of money you might spend on an Escient or Request, (and Im not talking about the SE-80) you are able to get the "Home Brick" Media server AND automation w one piece. Granted, the GUI may not be as nice as an Escient or ARQ, but it gets the job done. As well, each "system tab" will cost the consumer more dough, but still. it allows a way for us to get "in-to" the house, and let the client add on from there when they want. Seems like a real good way to give them a taste of the capabilities, without having to break the bank on every upgrade.

Im sure theres more, but Ive forgotten already.

Take all of this for what its worth, as its still in its very early stages (as am I.) I was putting this together for Robb who had asked about it, and figured Id copy/paste/add some to here.

sirroundsound
03-21-2006, 11:52 PM
We have had our running for some time now, haven't really done anything fancy with it, and haven't updated to the theatre control. It was pretty easy to set up. Not sure I would try to sell it against request or other CD servers, it's fine for the money, but they are better. I think at this point it's easiest and best features are HVAC control, security, irrigation and Spa/pool. I haven't tried the messaging, if it works it looks useful. We use ours for internet radio, and we have loaded a few disc for demo purposes and so far so good.
I am controlling it from a Viewsonic TP. Other than a computer I would like to see it operating from something smaller too, but haven't yet.

idodishez
03-22-2006, 06:21 AM
I am controlling it from a Viewsonic TP. .

Eventually Im going to be trying to tie it together w RTI. On this particular job there will be a T3 in the theatre room,and i may eventualy use a T4 for portable whole house control, media server GUI, etc.

Any drawbacks to using the viewsonic TP over the H/L TP's?

How much do they typically go for?

idodishez
03-22-2006, 06:23 AM
We have had our running for some time now........

Oh yeah, have you instaled any yet, or just the demo?

How have you found the company to deal with? Support? Reliabiity?
So far Ive heard a lot of good, and little if any bad.

sirroundsound
03-22-2006, 08:01 AM
I have quoted a couple, but no bites, yet.
Not sure what the Viewsonic was worth, but it works well. I will be interested in your results with RTI, I will be looking at their remotes at EHX.
As for our dealings with Homelogic, so far so good. During the set up of our demo unit we had to call a few times to make sure we were doing things correctly, and to ask the usual "can I do this or that" type of questions. Always very helpful, and what they couldn't answer they found out very quickly.

idodishez
03-31-2006, 10:20 PM
Not sure what the Viewsonic was worth, but it works well. I will be interested in your results with RTI,

Well i was reading somewhere, and it was confirmed this week by Matt Lust that the T4 will not support Java. SO, I guess thats not gonna be an option.

I could still use it for 1 way ir/serial control of the sub systems, but no ip control of the HomeLogic if Im looking at this correctly.

NOt sure if there would be a way to do it over ip WITHOUT using Java or not. I dont think the H/L TP's use Java w their CE based system, but Im not sure.

What model Viewsonic TP are you using?

idodishez
04-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Do you know if its a V110 or V210 Viewsonic touchpanel?

Getting ready to buy one, and want to make sure its compatible.

Thanks

sirroundsound
04-19-2006, 09:58 PM
Sorry, forgot about this, then the site went down, now I'm on my way to Florida. I am pretty sure it was the 210 model, but I also remember having to get some sort of firmware update done to the panel. That was many months ago, so it may not be needed anymore.

idodishez
04-19-2006, 11:24 PM
Sorry, forgot about this, then the site went down, now I'm on my way to Florida. I am pretty sure it was the 210 model, but I also remember having to get some sort of firmware update done to the panel. That was many months ago, so it may not be needed anymore.

Thanks

brandenpro
04-30-2006, 12:44 PM
I finally have started hooking up our demo unit. I'm so used to programming in RTI it took a bit for me to get used to the configurator. I must say I love the system. The video tab with a panasonic ip cam set up took about 10 mins. That includes the panasonic setup utility.

Security was easy. Ademco has a limitation on 1 user number/passcode to use with a automation controller. All other users will need to use reg keypads looking into alternatives.

Cant wait to get the global cache in to start playing with RTI and Homelogic. Send out RF trigger to RP6 to IR in global cache event trigger heating up heating down etc.

flyingmachine
12-04-2006, 07:55 PM
I figured this was probably the best thread to bump for HomeLogic systems. Anyone care to update on their experiences with it? I am going to sit in on the Tues webinar that they host every week.

idodishez
05-28-2007, 02:26 PM
I finally have started hooking up our demo unit. I'm so used to programming in RTI it took a bit for me to get used to the configurator.

Couldnt agree more. Im juts not used to the layout. And my opinion..... The layout could use some definate imporvement. I am constantly jumping from tab to tab in the configurator to work on the same system.

example: To add a .wav track to the security system (for feedback) I need to go to the "messaging" tab to find it? Um, WHY? And to initially add that same the .wav file to the HL library, I need to go to the "interface" tab? Again, WHY?

If I want to change the font size or tab color in the lighting tab, I cant do it in the lighting tab portion of the configurator. I need to go the the "interface" tab to do so, and even then its under "settings: large format".

These are omly a few of the examples I have run into that makes me feel like its just not very intuitive or layed out very well.

But again, if they had a manual to read on the programming, I could figure this out for myself rather than bugging tech suppt or just "playing around with it" to hopefully find the answer.

Security was easy. Ademco has a limitation on 1 user number/passcode to use with a automation controller. All other users will need to use reg keypads looking into alternatives.

Related to my GE post. the GE panel allows multiple users/passcode. But as far as I can see, (and I "think" this was confirmed by Andy) the multiple passcodes benefit nothing in HomeLogic. Going in I assumed I could track history, or setup event maps based on user passcodes. i.e., did the maid ACTUALLY leave when she SAID she did? Did my employee ACTUALLY clock out at 5:00 and not 3:00? OR, if system is disarmed by MRS Smith, it starts the Jazz station, turns on the lughts to the MB, etc. If the system is disarmed by little johnny, it turns on the MEtal station, fires up the PS3, etc. I realize the later can still be accomplished with "Johnny home" and Mrs Smith home" buttons. But the tracking based on user codes I just assumed was a given w an automation system.

Is this what your tryign to accomplish as well? Or were you going in another direction?

idodishez
05-28-2007, 03:01 PM
I started a thread on PCS lighting, but I wanted to add to this thread for the H/L part.

On the Home Logic side: When uploading a completed UPStart file to H/L, H/L never seems to completely update the HL file from the PCS module, when you hit “discover devices”. I have for example deleted a few “links”, or “scenes” in the UPStart on a recent programming change. But after HL gets done discovering all devices, the deleted link is still in HL, even though it’s no longer n UPStart. The link names also do not auto “discover” or populate. I needed to add the link names manually. All I had initially was “link 1”, “link 2”, etc. Is this normal?

Mis numbered master controllers…

Last time I was dealing with the PCS lighting there were issues with the controller letter/numbers in HomeLogic not matching the UPStart software of even the actual controllers. i.e., the 8 button controller would be labeled E through L on the controller, but the configurator would have it labeled A through H or 1 through 8 (or some variation of this). There were similar issues with the 6 button controllers. I spent numerous hours on this last time trying to match up the links properly in the programming, trying to figure out what was wrong with the program when it didn’t work, why the scenes would not respond correctly, etc. Well, this week I noticed the 8 button controller lettering actually matched the configurator lettering. So both the controller and the configurator were labeled E through L, as they SHOULD be. Cool, I must not have been the only one that was having the issue. Well, after spending NUMEROUS more hours on this in the last few days, I found another bug w the lettering. The 8 button controllers are now labeled w the correct letters, but THEY DON’T MATCH. They are not “mapped” correctly.

Details:

Button E on virtual KP performs actions of button E on PCS controller
Button F on virtual KP performs actions of button K on PCS coltroller
Button G on virtual KP performs actions of button F on PCS controler
Button H on virtual KP performs actions of button H on PCS controler
Button I on virtual KP performs actions of button I on PCS controler
Button J on virtual KP performs actions of button G on PCS controler
Button K on virtual KP performs actions of button J on PCS controler
Button L on virtual KP performs actions of button L on PCS controler

All the HARD buttons on the 8 button PCS controller perform the proper link, as they should. But when using HL and the keypad interfaces, the buttons perform as above. Not only does this screw up the functions of the 8 button controller, but it ALSO screws up all other functions that are MAPPED to this 8 button controller. So the “all scenes” virtual keypad is not working correctly. As well, any event maps that have been programmed to the 8 button controller do not work properly. Again, I spent NUMEROUS hours on this tracing down the reason for errors, etc. Am I REALLY the only person who is having issues? I mean it’s been almost a year since I last worked w the PCS system w Home Logic, and its still having issues, and some of the SAME issues. Why do I feel like a Beta tester???????

Most of this was taken from an email I sent to HL. But Im again just curious if Im the only one experiencing these issues. Its at least nice to know Branden is having some similar security issues, and im not just on crack. Also figured it may help anyone having similar issues w HL and/or PCS