PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba HD-DVD player

ATOH
04-17-2006, 10:44 PM
So, is anyone here a Toshiba dealer or has anyone had the chance to test one of these? I saw that there are two models, a standard series and a cinema series. The only difference I saw was a 232 port. Is this thing actually controllable through 232? Any other thoughts, opinions, etc.?

Fastfred
04-18-2006, 08:26 AM
I've had my hands on the non cinema player twice in the past month. Both times a Toshiba rep was present with an armed guard.

RS232 and a heavier mechanism, plus enhanced profit opportunity circuits are the primary differences.

Amazon is now listing hd-dvd software....

install1
04-24-2006, 02:03 PM
Any updates? I read here http://www.projectorcentral.com/hd-dvd.htm that the DVI inputs have some syncing issues that would not be liked by clients with DVI projectors. Anybody on here had these issues?

Patiently waiting (ready to throw a tantrum) for a Canadian release.

Greg

2ndRick
04-24-2006, 08:58 PM
We're supposed to have ours this week...
I am stopping by the outlet store of DeepDiscountDVD to see what HD-DVD discs they have in stock. They are only a few minutes away from my office.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/format.cfm?classID=1

I have heard that there will be three discs in with the first shipments of Toshiba players... I just wonder which three...

install1, we have a JVC D-ILA HX2U which has DVI only for the digital input, so I guess I will be a guinea pig for that test.

We also have Fujitsu 55" and 42" HD, Samsung 50", and the JVC Pro 61" HD-ILA 1080P set that we can test it with... We may have to grab a Gefen HDMI distribution amp out of stock to get this around the showroom.

The current distribution is component video...

avophile
04-24-2006, 11:07 PM
Is AVAD Northeast carrying these?

2ndRick
04-25-2006, 10:23 PM
I would expect that they would...

2ndRick
04-28-2006, 09:27 AM
Ok... Best Buy got their first batch, and the two that I have been to have sold through them and didn't even set up a display.

I now have Last Samurai, Million Dollar Baby, and Phantom of the Opera... But no players as of today ( 4/28 ).

Fastfred
04-28-2006, 10:57 AM
We got Cinema series in today; pretty much all presold. Haven't opened the box yet; won't until orders are filled.

Fastfred
04-28-2006, 11:40 AM
This just in: the six differences between standard and cinema series:

RS-232 Controller Port

Motion Activated - Illuminated Remote Control

Extruded Aluminum & Gloss Acrylic Cabinetry

Double Chassis Construction

Insulated Stabilizing Feet

Remote Operated Motorized Door

From Toshiba personnel.

Darren
04-29-2006, 12:50 AM
Some interesting issues and insight to the Toshiba at DigitalBits.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa119.html#hdm

2ndRick
05-02-2006, 07:50 PM
A small quantity of Cinema Series units arrived today at the Central and Great Plains branches...

Although we filled all open orders with room to spare, the decision was made NOT to pull one for display, and to keep them in inventory for dealer purchases until a larger shipment arrives...

As of right now (5/3/06) there are a small quantity of available units to approved Cinema Series dealers in our territory.