PDA

View Full Version : ProcessDSG, Process Map and Process Checklist

Gary
05-07-2006, 11:01 PM
In the last few weeks there has been a decent amount of talk about developing business processes and getting your business to run better and more efficiently.

http://www.integrationpros.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1628

http://www.integrationpros.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1621

This is a really good thing, because rather you know it or not, you already have processes and methods. Of course these ad hoc processes more than likely, lead your business down an inefficient path and leave your clients with a less than consistent experience. If you want your business to be successful and you want your life back, this must change.

From many of your posts, I know there’s a lingering question out there. Why must I go through all this work, Why is it worth the time, after all I have a rack to build, remotes to program, and proposals to finish. The most important reason is risk. The more your business success depends on your hands on work, the more you put your business at risk to fail.

That’s the why, now for the how.

First you must be will to set aside the time to work on your business. If you’ve done no work on this to this point, I would mark out at least 10 hours a week. Put this time on your calendar and make sure everyone is clear; you’re not to be interrupted.

The other big question is what do I need to do and where do I start?

That gets me to the point of this review. If you haven’t noticed we have a new member, Kevin Mikelonis. Kevin is the owner of Process, Dealer Services Group. Process has a great product that gives you a big head start on all the hard work we’ve been talking about.

http://www.processdsg.com/Graphics/logo.jpg

So what is it?

It’s a “Process Map and Process Checklist”. When Kevin signed up, I took a look at his website and noticed this product and my interest was immediately peaked. There are a lot of other products like this, as well as books and software for “Process Mapping”. But none are really just right for our business model and most still leave you with the big question, where do I start? So I got in contact with Kevin and got a copy of just the map portion of the package for the purpose of writing this review.

I will say this, it is way more detailed than I was expecting. First off, I was blown away by the enormity of the thing; it’s three feet wide by eight feet long. So the first thing I did was print a copy on my plotter, just to get a grasp of it.

So what is a “Process Map”? According to the very good book Business Process Mapping, Processing mapping is nothing more than glorified flow charting. That’s what we’re really talking about here, a flow chart that takes you from finding a prospect, turning that prospect into a client, producing that client’s system, handing it off to service and starting over again.

Kevin’s map starts with what he calls “Public Relations Development”. This section covers things like new releases, web presence, news letters, and charity outreach. Most of us probably think of these things as marketing. Well there’s a whole other section on “Marketing” and that delves into direct marketing to architects, designers, builders, and current clients.

http://integrationpros.com/forums/images/process_map002.jpg

The next group of sections takes you through prospecting, design, and proposals. Interesting enough, the prospecting stage has a part where you walk your potential client through your “process”. Kevin recommends printing this out and hanging in a position of prominence in your show room. I think this is a great idea.

Process DSG is a D-tools partner and as such the design portion is very D-tools centric. If you don’t use D-tools, you will want to edit it to match your design tools.

From the close of the sale to sending the project to service, the map lays out a very detailed path to consistently deliver a great product for your client.

http://integrationpros.com/forums/images/process_map003.jpg

So what’s missing?

Well most back office details that don’t directly add to the production of a project are not included here. This includes things like, job descriptions, hiring employees, payroll, employee standards, performance reviews, budgeting, and accounts payable.

Is this a big deal?

Yes and no. Now these thing are important, and at some point they will need to be addressed, but there not as important as producing your product.

Now the map come it two versions, one can be edited, the other not. For the price difference, I see no reason to buy the non-editable version.

All and all, I find it hard to find anything to dislike about this product. If you’re like a lot of firms here, good techs trying hard to become real businesses then this product could create a big short cut for you. If you’re overwhelmed and don’t know where to start, this maybe the answer.

For more info go to http://www.processdsg.com/ or PM kevinmikelonis.

idodishez
05-09-2006, 12:25 AM
OK, How come I cant copy and paste?

Anyway, I had asked Gary how he relates this service, if at all, to the servi ces offered by Coach? Do you see them as similar/identical services offered by 2 different companies, or more as services that COMPLIMENT each other?

(Your post almost sounds like one of Coach's newsletters:))

I guess this question could also be asked of Steve (Coach) or Kevin for that matter.

I just took the plunge w Coach, and will be meeting w him shortly.

Gary is always pushing "cookie cutter" approaches, (ala Kevin's approach?) and I am still trying to grasp the idea as it seems to possibly go against my grain.

These 2 things have brought this thread close to home.

So having experience with (or having researched) both of them, I just wanted to see if you thought they could compliment each other, (kinda like Crestron w RTI :D)or are more similar services (kinda like D-Tools and SRS :D)

Gary
05-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Well Frank I don't really know what it is you're asking, but I'll try to answer anyway.

Having not used these services, I don't know how they compare, but from what I can tell, Coach's services are directly mostly toward financial management and Kevin's concentrate on D-tools implementation and process definition.

These certainly could compliment each other, but I'm a "baby steps" type of person and think you should make some progress in one area before moving on to something else.

A bigger question might be "why do you let all these consultants in here?"

The answer to that is simple, most of us are techs with little or no business skills. The installed home systems market is becoming big enough that it's attracting people that have great businesses skills and if we don't change they will slaughter us.

kevinmikelonis
05-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Gone...

idodishez
05-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the replies

QQQ
03-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Gary,

I am surprised by the lack of posts/questions in this thread. A few years ago I spent quite a bit of time mapping out every process in our business. We are about ready for a major remap. As far as this "product", I just want to clarify my assumptions and ask a few questions:

For $249 I get an (Adobe?) file that contains:

1. A file with a big 8' x 3' process map drawing for printing.

2. A checklist that I assume somehow drills deeper into each stage of each process? Or does it simply duplicate what is on the big map?

3. Who is Kevin and what is his experience in the industry? Why does he only have one post in this thread that says "gone".

4. I guess I just have to take on faith that I will find use in this map (i.e. there is no way to see it)? i.s. there is no way to see it or get my money back if I think it is not useful? I've bought a few of these training type things in the past only to find them a complete waste of money. If they are good maps then $249 is a small price to pay.

Thanks Gary

Matt
03-22-2007, 10:37 PM
Kevin had a complete breakdown in this thread http://integrationpros.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2013 He then went about removing his posts. He said some good things and had some insight which is why Gary posted what he did, he just turned out to be a complete insecure asshole.

roddymcg
03-22-2007, 10:47 PM
This is the same Kevin who does the MIT D-tools training, no??

Matt
03-22-2007, 11:09 PM
This is the same Kevin who does the MIT D-tools training, no??

I don't know...Gary?

roddymcg
03-22-2007, 11:31 PM
I think Pedro is also taking the MIT classes currently. I remember the first class I took I thought something looked familiar other than my computer.

If it is, he does a very good job at teaching/demonstrating.

I do remember the Media Center gonna rule the world thing.

Matt
03-22-2007, 11:39 PM
Like I said, he did have some good insight along with some good posts, but for him to take his ball and run home after a somewhat lively debate shows me much more about his character. I thought his exit was rather childish.

roddymcg
03-22-2007, 11:50 PM
Can't say I can argue much with you here. It was one of the strangest things I have ever seen.

And will you quit staring a me...

Matt
03-22-2007, 11:56 PM
And will you quit staring a me...

"You needn't take it any further, sir. You've proved to me that all this ultraviolence and killing is wrong, wrong, and terribly wrong. I've learned me lesson, sir. I've seen now what I've never seen before. I'm cured! Praise god!"

flyingmachine
03-23-2007, 12:03 AM
Yes, Kevin from DSG is the one that we are talking about, his company is a certified D-Tools Partner. He was at DTU this year and I sat in on a class of his. I purchased the process map and its very impressive! I had it printed out in full size just to be able to grasp it all. The version that I purchased was an editable Visio file, so anything that we want to add or change based on our company differences it easy peasy.

The whole exit from IP was very stange indeed. He still is active over on the D-Tools forum.

This is the thread where he lost it... http://integrationpros.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20968#post20968

avzone
03-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Q, I too purchased Kevin's Process map. I spent some time with him at DTU getting to know Kevin personally first hand. He is, without question, good people. He's a veteran of our industry with a great deal of experience and full of great advice. He does a great job teaching the D-Tools MIT courses as well. Being as intelligent as you are, it goes without saying, but I would suggest using your own judgement and read between the lines rather than fall victim to hearsay or personal opinions.

There's actually 2 versions of the Process Map.
Editable Process Map and Process Checklist

Process Map formatted for 3 foot by 8 foot printable size in Visio
Includes Process Checklist in MS WordEditable Process Map, Checklist, and MS Project Suite

Includes items listed above, plus the Process Map Microsoft Project Suite for project managers to combine Process Map and other elements of the everyday management like project costing, work allocation, milestones, and deadlines.I hope this is helpful.

avophile
03-23-2007, 11:41 AM
I have it on good authority that the individual in question claimed his "breakdown" and post deletions, while they occured simultaneously with him being called out for his biases in the Exceptional Innovations thread, actually had to do with his discovery that someone on IP had gotten a hold of some of his proprietary materials and used them without permission or compensation, upsetting him greatly.

This seems, in retrospect, to be pretty lame cover for his implosion.

At the very least, said individual demonstated his inability to sustain an argument in debate, and bristled at the questioning of his supposed authority on system architecture, customer preferences, and industry trends. His performance gave every appearance of a terribly insecure individual unable to weather the inevitable backlash to his anti-control system and CI rants.

In the worst case, this is a good example of someone seemingly unsympathetic with, perhaps even antagonistic to the common concerns of the IP community, gaining access to the verified forum, contributing a flurry of good posts, generating enough interest in his products to justify his own investment, and running away after he presumably got what he wanted.

Undoubtedly, he is an experienced industry vet with much to offer those who can deal with his self-aggrandizing persona. I take nothing away from those members who businesses have benefitted from a relationship with him. I actually admire people who can enjoy and benefit from people with otherwise serious character flaws.

Perhaps he will emerge on the verified side again after having taken the time to "process" his emotional issues.

Personally, I think the end result of his behavior was every bit as cynical and self-serving as the banned spammer!

His example should give pause to those who would open the verified side of this forum up to anyone willing to opine on integration, particularly those with a tendency to spam, and a bias towards Microsoft-based control systems designed to cater to the DIY crowd (Yes, I am talking about the guy whose system some would promote as a viable automation platform but that I would wager they would never really consider putting in a client's home!).

Kudos to those non-CI gentleman and the lady who know how to participate on the verified side with dignity and tact.

Gary
03-23-2007, 12:56 PM
I don't know...Gary?

Yes.

Gary
03-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Gary,

I am surprised by the lack of posts/questions in this thread.

Me too. I think most people just want to bitch and moan about things they can't control.

For $249 I get an (Adobe?) file that contains:

1. A file with a big 8' x 3' process map drawing for printing.

2. A checklist that I assume somehow drills deeper into each stage of each process? Or does it simply duplicate what is on the big map?

3. Who is Kevin and what is his experience in the industry? Why does he only have one post in this thread that says "gone".

4. I guess I just have to take on faith that I will find use in this map (i.e. there is no way to see it)? i.s. there is no way to see it or get my money back if I think it is not useful? I've bought a few of these training type things in the past only to find them a complete waste of money. If they are good maps then $249 is a small price to pay.

Thanks Gary

I've only seem the map itself and it seems very detailed. I can't speak about the check list part.

Some of it may be to in depth, my process fits fine on ARCH-D size page. I did all my process check lists on our SharePoint site.

Kevin in a D-tools partner and trainer.

avzone
03-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Me too. I think most people just want to bitch and moan about things they can't control.Ain't that the truth?!

I've only seem the map itself and it seems very detailed. I can't speak about the check list part.

Some of it may be to in depth, my process fits fine on ARCH-D size page. I did all my process check lists on our SharePoint site.

Kevin in a D-tools partner and trainer.The checklist and the MS Project Suite are alternate versions of the Process Map. Although it is detailed, the others I've seen are way too general and vague for my taste, but may be acceptable for others.

QQQ
03-23-2007, 02:16 PM
Q, I too purchased Kevin's Process map. He is, without question, good people.
I'm glad to hear he is good people as I would not want to purchase a process map from a bad person...unless it helped me to make money.

Did you find the map useful? Have you adapted all or any part of it to your business? Or is it just a really impressive looking big map that you mounted on the wall?

The checklist and the MS Project Suite are alternate versions of the Process Map. Although it is detailed, the others I've seen are way too general and vague for my taste, but may be acceptable for others.
I am unsure what you are referring to here. "Although "it" is detailed". What is "it"? I assume you are referring to Kevin's map. What are the "others"? Similar maps you have seen from other companies?

Thank You

avzone
03-23-2007, 02:55 PM
Did you find the map useful? Have you adapted all or any part of it to your business? Or is it just a really impressive looking big map that you mounted on the wall?The Process Map is definitely useful. It's a bit overwhelming in its entirety, so I thought it best to modify one section at a time and display the modified sections throughout the office in some logical fashion. Those related to sales/marketing would be in the respective office area, for example.

I am unsure what you are referring to here. "Although "it" is detailed". What is "it"? I assume you are referring to Kevin's map. What are the "others"? Similar maps you have seen from other companies?

Thank YouYes, I am referring to the Process Map. The others I'm referring to are Process Flow Charts that lack the detail of Kevin's. I prefer to start with the detail and adapt and/or condense it to fit my business. Have you been to his company website? He has some examples you can download for evaluation.

avzone
03-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Guys, I'm posting the below statement on Kevin's behalf.

Kevin's Statement:
"After months of contributing ideas and providing help to members of the IP forum, I was asked to do some subject matter work by reviewing a new industry course. In the content I was given to review and approve, I discovered word for word content, including diagrams and drawings that my office produced. This content was used without permission and submitted to the course developer by someone else as their own work. This plagiarized content was placed on the IP forum in one of my threads and nowhere else for the benefit of the IP forum members. This misuse of my company’s work is the reason for my departure from the IP forum and removal of my content from the forum. My final rant was misdirected frustration for which I apologize here and now."

roddymcg
03-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Why did Kevin not say this directly himself??

And whom is the guilty party stealing his work?? Does he really believe that the members of IP as group condon this type of action??

Sounds like bullshit to me...

Matt
03-23-2007, 07:32 PM
It is sad that it would happen here, very frustrating indeed. It would however been better if he would have brought this to the the attention of the members here instead of exiting the way he did.

Moving on... Moving on.

avzone
03-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Why did Kevin not say this directly himself??

And whom is the guilty party stealing his work?? Does he really believe that the members of IP as group condon this type of action??

Sounds like bullshit to me...He didn't offer a reason why. Would I like to know? Sure I would, but I'm not one to pry. I'm sure he would have if he felt it was important. The situation is really between Kevin and the one that plagiarized his work. I can assure you that Kevin doesn't associate the general IP members with the guilty party not that we condone the behavior. I don't know the details nor who it was and haven't asked him. It's a shame that it happened and certainly is a concern, but I/we can't control the choices of others. It sure would be nice though. :D

avzone
03-23-2007, 09:00 PM
It is sad that it would happen here, very frustrating indeed. It would however been better if he would have brought this to the the attention of the members here instead of exiting the way he did.

Moving on... Moving on.Yeah, the whole thing certainly could have been handled differently, but we've all had our moments. I know I do.

AHEM
03-23-2007, 10:08 PM
Kevin had a complete breakdown in this thread http://integrationpros.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2013 He then went about removing his posts. He said some good things and had some insight which is why Gary posted what he did, he just turned out to be a complete insecure asshole.

LOL, I must have missed that thread when it happend. That was a meltdown of epic proportions. Maybe he could come up with a "how to have a public meltdown process chart"?

Matt
03-23-2007, 10:11 PM
Maybe he could come up with a "how to have a public meltdown process chart"?

Righty right. A little bit of the old ultraviolence.

AHEM
03-23-2007, 10:27 PM
Perhaps we should have given him a glass of the old moloko. That would have made things as crystal clear the azure sky above.

So what'll it be then eh?

Matt
03-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Perhaps we should have given him a glass of the old moloko. That would have made things as crystal clear the azure sky above.

So what'll it be then eh?

Right....maybe if he came in on Sunday and did his TPS reports that would be great, MMM-Kay

AHEM
03-23-2007, 10:47 PM
I need to find a Val Kilmer/Doc Holliday jpeg so that I may add the line.....

"Pour soul. He was just too high strung."

Matt
03-23-2007, 10:51 PM

He was no Daisy, no daisy at all.

AHEM
03-23-2007, 11:03 PM
Maybe he just picked a bad week to give up cough syrup?

Dogman
03-24-2007, 08:20 AM

http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/users/98/dylan/tomb/sound.html

here you go

PAAI
03-24-2007, 10:06 AM
FT, I like the Clockwork Orange avitar. Classic Badboy.

AHEM
03-24-2007, 10:15 AM
http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/users/98/dylan/tomb/sound.html

here you go

Thanks!

The "I'm afraid that the strain was more then he could bear" is perfect for this topic.

Matt
03-24-2007, 11:28 AM
FT, I like the Clockwork Orange avitar. Classic Badboy.

That was a picture of me yesterday morning.

PAAI
03-24-2007, 12:41 PM
Meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow
Meow, meow, meow, meow
Little bag o' bones been out all night
Little bag o' bones been out all night

POTUSA