PDA

View Full Version : Outside, 6 zone

Dfrenchman
05-31-2006, 04:23 PM
Hey guys, I'm new with integration. I just finished the AMX bootcamp last week in Dallas and now I'm back in Quebec Canada starting couple project. I'm a frenchy so be good tome with my English. I have done some audio distribution but never with multiple input. I have this project where the customer need 6 outside zones (stereo), they have to be independent of each other, he doesn't want volume switch (nub) outside, he wants a remote that will control each zone independently. So we just opened with Russound, I tought I could use a 6 zone CAM with their panel, by the windows of his living room, so a remote will use the ir of each panel and he that would control each zone. Do you have a better Idea.

tomciara
05-31-2006, 05:49 PM
I think you will want to use RF to control from outside, not IR. You are not going to get good results trying to get IR from outside into the house.

The Russound system may be fine (others will speak on that) but for good RF results use an RTI remote with an RP1 or RP6 processor.

If you do not "go cheap" on the control system you will have good results and happy clients. In English, "cutting corners" means you try to save money (on control, in this example) and you will have to visit the client every week for problems.

Dfrenchman
06-01-2006, 08:53 AM
Well, for sure I will not cut corners, He has spent over 150k on his home theater. This guy is an difficult one so I don't want to go theire twice. I understand the IR problem. Do you think the RC1, the water proof remote could do the trick? I don't think it would controle each zone separatly.

idodishez
06-03-2006, 01:46 PM
Well, for sure I will not cut corners, He has spent over 150k on his home theater. This guy is an difficult one so I don't want to go theire twice. I understand the IR problem. Do you think the RC1, the water proof remote could do the trick? I don't think it would controle each zone separatly.

The RC1 would not be ideal for all zones, but the CAM ir remote through the window thingy that you referred to wasnt waterproof, so why not just use a good RF RTI remote? (Unless I misunderstood your post) Why not use a T2+, T3, etc. It wont be waterproof, but again, either was the OEM Russound. Use it when needed, but store it indoors. If he wants somethong that STAYS outside, maybe use an RK3 in a weatherproof box? Never tried it, but I have put Decora A-bus keypads outside in enclosures. (Of course were talking $100 replacement cost vs $1000 replacement cost :) )

Kelly
06-03-2006, 10:33 PM
I just noticed that the company that makes thise "nose" wallplates also makes a double gang version of the exterior weatherproof enclosure like the single ones Russound sells.

I'd still want the enclosure to be in a protected area like a screen proch, but it should work out ok.

idodishez
06-03-2006, 11:07 PM
I just noticed that the company that makes thise "nose" wallplates also makes a double gang version of the exterior weatherproof enclosure like the single ones Russound sells.

I'd still want the enclosure to be in a protected area like a screen proch, but it should work out ok.

Im familair w the nose plates your referring to, but do you know the name of the company? Or have a link for the double gang boxes referred to? id be interested to see how they compare to the "Lowes" brand:)

flcusat
06-04-2006, 06:55 AM
Im familair w the nose plates your referring to, but do you know the name of the company? Or have a link for the double gang boxes referred to? id be interested to see how they compare to the "Lowes" brand:)

I usually get them from Direct Connect(nose plates) through a distributor but I don't see the dual gang box in their site.

http://www.directconnecthome.com/

flcusat
06-04-2006, 06:58 AM
By the way at the EHX Expo in Orlando I saw a company showing one of those nose plates but with the nose towards the interior of the wall and flat outside. I can't remember who was it but I found it pretty cool.

Fastfred
06-05-2006, 09:22 AM
As many know, I really like Russound product.

I don't know if you should do that product in this application, though.

Consider using an old time audio product like the Xantech ZPR

Fine quality preamp, IR control via the aforementioned RTI

Use whatever amplifiers you might choose.

You really don't need the metadata feedback to the keypads.

CCD
06-05-2006, 12:10 PM
Vanco makes a 2 gang "nose" plate. Maybe that is who he means? I get them from AAMP of America here in Florida.

Special-Ed
06-05-2006, 05:10 PM
ok, i have put probably 10 ADA keypads( indoor) outside in grey metal boxes with big clear carlon outdoor covers. they work awsome. i have some in the feild that are over 4 years old without any issues. these are out by pools, on decks etc.

now the ir doesnt work so good outside but at night its ok. but who needs ir when you have a complete keypad.

ed