PDA

View Full Version : This could save many hours of aggravation. FYI for all custom installers.

gharnett
07-19-2006, 03:34 PM
OK,
So I'm new here but I want to share what has happened to one of our installations. This information will save people many hours of aggrevation as we have experienced.

During a routine installation the following conflict was observed involviung a Panasonic TH-50PHDUK Plasma and a Polk Audio Xrt12 XM Radio Tuner:

The Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK on/off remote command happens to be the zero command for the Polk Audio Xrt12 XM Radio Tuner. Every time the on or off was used, the XM unit would jump to channel "0". Unfortunately, both units are within range of each other in the same room with no possibility of moving the XM tuner into another location. Since the XM unit is tied into a Matrix Audio Designs Mi-Series tuner (without the LCD keypads) the client experiences "no audio" when they try to use the system. This was obviously due the fact that someone has either turned on or off the TV and did not see the XM unit was on channel zero. (We all should know by now that this is just a radio ID and carries no audio, but the client is new to all of this)

Add to the fact that there is only one other single XM tuner available (so I have seen. If anyone knows of any other brands out there let me know) from Antex Electronics, this was a difficult situation to correct.

I have yet received the Antex unit so I will post to let everyone know if this was successful.

Fastfred
07-19-2006, 04:09 PM
1. Thanks for the heads up.
2. What a pain in the butt.

vette84
07-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Agreed, what a hassle. But an IR router or serial control would easily fix this, just put a shield on the Polk tuner's ir window with a flasher under it.

Easy fix, but if you're not prepared for it (like you weren't), the budget might not have room for a router or a processor capable of rs232.

As an aside, the comments like you posted are exactly the kind of things we want here. Thanks for the heads up.

Gary
07-19-2006, 07:26 PM
The Polk responds to the Delphi codes, I'm going to bet that the Antex does as well.

What are you using for control?

TedW
07-19-2006, 08:11 PM
What about the new Marantz FM/AM/XM tuner?

gharnett
07-19-2006, 09:16 PM
I know about the Marantz but the client does not wish to pay extra. Not a very easy client to deal with. I would have loved to use the Marantz as the first choice.

gharnett
07-19-2006, 09:19 PM
It's not a problem with the Delphi codes. (At least thats not what Ive tested anyway) It's with the Panasonic Plasma. As far as the control I'm using, it is the Aurora MX900 however, I also have the issue with the OEM remote for the Panasonic so I eliminated the problem being the MX900.

I'll let everyone know the outcome of the Antex unit.

gharnett
07-19-2006, 09:23 PM
The Polk unit does have an rs232 port. Is there a way to go into the firmware and change the code (or at least eliminate the code altogether) on the unit?

idodishez
07-20-2006, 01:13 AM
It's not a problem with the Delphi codes. (At least thats not what Ive tested anyway) It's with the Panasonic Plasma. As far as the control I'm using, it is the Aurora MX900 however, I also have the issue with the OEM remote for the Panasonic so I eliminated the problem being the MX900.

I'll let everyone know the outcome of the Antex unit.

Not sure how tight the budget is, but can't you add an MRF-300 to allow i/r routing like Vette suggested?

gharnett
07-20-2006, 08:28 AM
I already have an MRF250 in use. I'll be honest, I'm not sure what you mean by IR Routing. Would I still need to place something in front of the unit like tape? If thats the case, no go for the customer who refuses to have tape on the front no matter how small. I already went down that road.

idodishez
07-20-2006, 08:40 AM
The 250 doesnt do routing. The 300 does http://www.universalremote.com/products/index.php?item=mrf300

No tape needed, but it will need flashers on the front, which Im assuming you already have. On one of the units, you will need a mouse cover, but it doesnt look like tape, so you should be ok.

The routing just allows the I/R signal to be sent to ONLY ONE of the flashers, not all 6 at once. This will allow you to control the TV w/o controlling the XM, and vise versa.

gharnett
07-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Wouldn't I need to place a flasher on the TV as well? Thats where the problem comes. The set is across the room from the system rack. I wish it that simple to do. I did think about that.

RobbieS
07-20-2006, 09:01 AM
Wouldn't I need to place a flasher on the TV as well? Thats where the problem comes. The set is across the room from the system rack. I wish it that simple to do. I did think about that.

The remotes can output IR/RF at the same time so you would not need a flasher on the television. Customer just points the remote at tv as always. If it is a tv command you can send it IR straight to the TV if it is a command to control the equipment at the rack it gets sent RF back to the MRF-300 base station.

As far as tape or whatever on the front of the equipment. Do yourself a favor and open up each piece of equipment and stick the flasher inside next to the IR receiver. This will take less than 10 minutes to do on most equipment. It also provides a much cleaner look and prevents the flashers from being nocked off by the kids, house cleaner, or whoever else may have their hands in the equipment rack.

vette84
07-20-2006, 09:43 AM
Going with Robbie, the best approach here is to put a flasher inside the Polk's case, then put a piece of tape over the flasher INSIDE the case. IR receiver is covered up and no tape on the outside of the case, so mr. customer is happy. Now the Polk will only respond to commands specifically sent to it. (assuming an MRF-300)

Frank, you have the right idea with a mouse cover, but the Polk's case design doesn't really allow anything wider than about a half inch or else you cover the display and/or buttons. The IR eye is butted up right next to a couple of panel buttons.

Greg_C
07-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Yes you can route IR on an MRF-250. Also you can choose to send the XM codes as RF from the remote, and IR only for the plasma. With the blinking emmiter that comes with the MRF-250, you can always put a dab of black nail polish or something similar to lessen the IR bleed thru.

idodishez
07-20-2006, 12:38 PM
Yes you can route IR on an MRF-250.

My mistake, sorry.

metrognomicon
07-20-2006, 12:46 PM
The Polk's IR eye is finicky... test before reassembling!

gharnett
07-20-2006, 01:06 PM
What a great idea! I never thought of placing the eye inside the unit. I will keep that in mind for the next install. As far as this one is concerned, I will try the Antex unit first. This is one picky client and what ever I can do without him being nervous, the better. This is one of those guys who looks over your shoulder. I could just imagine the reaction when I start taking the faces off of the EQ with him watching. Fireworks are meant for the 4th of July, not inside while doing an install! (The next install, I could prep them ahead of time)

I'm so glad to become part of this forum. So much useful info. The next step is to become verified on the forums. When I get the time, I'll get the paperwork rolling on that.

flcusat
07-20-2006, 02:18 PM
Be aware that the Xrt12 has a security sticker on the rear and if you break this seal it would void the warranty. You can separate the sticker from the chasis using a Hair Dryer.
I've been using the Xantech's 282x emitters inside all the equipment without a rear IR jack, to be controlled by IR, for a while now. No more emitters falling of the gear and ugly wire running to the front of the equipment.

TedW
07-20-2006, 09:38 PM
What a great idea! I never thought of placing the eye inside the unit. I will keep that in mind for the next install. As far as this one is concerned, I will try the Antex unit first. This is one picky client and what ever I can do without him being nervous, the better. This is one of those guys who looks over your shoulder. I could just imagine the reaction when I start taking the faces off of the EQ with him watching. Fireworks are meant for the 4th of July, not inside while doing an install! (The next install, I could prep them ahead of time)

I'm so glad to become part of this forum. So much useful info. The next step is to become verified on the forums. When I get the time, I'll get the paperwork rolling on that.

I think you are making this WAY too hard. As was said, go into the RF control of MX editor and make the polk RF only and the TV IR only. End of problem in about three seconds depending on the speed of your computer.

2ndRick
07-22-2006, 02:09 PM
I think you are making this WAY too hard. As was said, go into the RF control of MX editor and make the polk RF only and the TV IR only. End of problem in about three seconds depending on the speed of your computer.
This would work if the tuner were behind doors, but the OP said in the first post that the tuner is in the same area as the TV, so it would "see" that IR command intended for the plasma.

These people are so uptight that a piece of black Super33 cut neatly with scissors and placed over the eye would be offensive to them??

If they want their system to work, blocking the IR from getting into the IR eye on that tuner is pretty much a requirement. That can be a an expensive change like a new solid door over the equipment cabinet, or a simple piece of electrical tape trimmed and placed over that eye.

DDeca
07-22-2006, 04:48 PM
As long as you have emittors on both pieces of equip just use IR routing and RF only for both. Problem solved!

vette84
07-22-2006, 10:13 PM
From what I gathered in the earlier post, the plasma does not have a flasher, and getting wire to it will be too difficult.

TedW
07-25-2006, 12:37 PM
This would work if the tuner were behind doors, but the OP said in the first post that the tuner is in the same area as the TV, so it would "see" that IR command intended for the plasma.

These people are so uptight that a piece of black Super33 cut neatly with scissors and placed over the eye would be offensive to them??

If they want their system to work, blocking the IR from getting into the IR eye on that tuner is pretty much a requirement. That can be a an expensive change like a new solid door over the equipment cabinet, or a simple piece of electrical tape trimmed and placed over that eye.

Yea I forgot that he said they were in the same line of site area so you are completely correct that the eye is going to have to be blocked. I'm sure by now the problem has been solved with a different tuner. As an installer I find that to have been the most expensive and extreme solution to an extremely simple probem.

At least simple with a modern IR routing remote. A total pain in the ass five years ago.

Audiophiliac
08-14-2006, 09:03 PM
Hehe.....when we carried Loewe displays before they pulled out of the states, we ran into issues with them sharing codes with Marantz receivers. So we learned quickly to not sell anyone both. ;)