PDA

View Full Version : Laser Plumb for documenting prewire

Canyon
07-23-2006, 06:20 PM
Rave..

I have had a laser plumb (about $250) for about a year now, and I must say I love it...

The laser plumb sits on the floor and shoots a plumb line up.

For ceiling speaker prewire documentation, I adjust the laser plumb until I "hit" the ceiling joist on one side of the wire webbing, then I trace around the laser plumb with a marker onto the subfloor. I do the same for the other side.

I take measurements to the closest two walls and also mark them on the floor. I then add room info and room bearing info. I also add marks to show what direction the joist are running.

Then at the end of the prewire, as a lot of us already do... I take pictures of everything, and zoom in on the floor for my speaker "notes".

On the finish, all measurements are done on the floor (minus sheetrock and moldings)... much easier than up on a ladder..

For speakers, I no longer use my toner or stud finder... This thing has saved me tons of time.

avophile
07-23-2006, 09:22 PM
Shee-it, you must save a lot of money on new construction rings!

TedW
07-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Shee-it, you must save a lot of money on new construction rings!

lol. call me crazy but I still don't use them. It just seems that my speakers are forever getting moved from larger molding or design changes or some other issue. I still use good 'ole cardboard straps and cut em out. But I admit that everytime I'm blowing drywall dust out of my nose I think about those new fangled construction rings.

BlakeAV
07-25-2006, 12:50 PM
I used a tapeless tape measure with a laser lvl biult in and it rocked. I would stand under the wire zig zag in the cieling and point at the wall or studd and get a measured reading back.
Slicker than snot i tell you and very technology guru guy like.

Kelly
07-25-2006, 08:07 PM
I ceased using "rings" about 18 years ago after a sheetrocker made a mess out of things.

I've always just made a floorplan drawing and made measurment notations on it.

Works for me....

Audiophiliac
08-14-2006, 08:58 PM
Yay! My first post here.

We have never used rough-in rings or brackets except for a few times where we knew there would be stucco or something similar (I have cut in my fair share into stucco after the fact too.....not fun). We also have dealt with drywallers/insulators making a mess or things getting moved around and the like.

Although I would love to use them to save LOTs of time on trim, I dont mind it how it is. We always draw "maps" with measurements AND take digital photos.

I think it might be worth the "risk" to use them in some of the harder to reach places....high ceilings, places where there is little room for error on cutting them in, and obviously wherever there is something besides drywall to cut through if you dont use them. :)

Although I have become proficient at cutting speakers with drywall saw, rotozip, jigsaw, sawzall, chisel and hammer, and a Leatherman Wave, I would love to be able to retire from such activities. :)

Using a laser plumb and drawing on the floor is maybe a bit anal for me, but I cannot argue with the logic and the practice. More power to you sir!

ericstac
08-17-2006, 03:05 PM
just nail a low voltage sing gang ring on the nearest stud and call it a day.