PDA

View Full Version : theatre media room

Shadowman68
03-08-2005, 01:38 PM
One of my customers would like to use his theatre as a media presentation room. Bring clients in and do a power point show for them etc. What I would like to do is have a simple vga wall plate that he can plug into with a direct line to the PJ. Anyone seen anything like this? If so do you know if they require crossover cables or is that manufacturer specific? Would I be better off using a breakout cable VGA to Component?

lowvoltguy
03-08-2005, 02:11 PM
Is something like this http://www.crestron.com/products/show_products.asp?type=residential&cat=1008&subcat=1023&id=1181 what you are looking for?

MikeCAT
03-08-2005, 04:58 PM
direct connect also has a svga port with RCA line level in a decora style. It's on their online pdf catalog at www.directconnecthome.com

It's page 28 or so (page number, not Acrobat number)

Mike

Toronto122
03-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Are the cables all run to the projo already?

I'm doing a theatre right now that has a PC, and a port built into the riser to accept a laptop. This will all be switched by the projector.

A simple 9 pin connector with RGB run to the Projector is all you need. If it's not there, you could be in trouble.

Good luck!

sirroundsound
03-08-2005, 09:34 PM
I thought provo had a wall plate with a VGA connector , if not I will have to look, I have 3 of them in stock. If it's not to far, and you can do it, just run a 15 pin hd cable to the projector, that way he just plugs into the wall jack and switches inputs on the projector. If you can't do that, then geffen makes a VGA to cat5 kit, in which case you don't need to worry about the wall plate, any cat5 keystone jack will be fine. The only other thing you don't mention, what is the connection at the projector? You may need a breakout cable at that end.
I am not sure about a "9 pin" connector for a VGA?, or why you would need (or think you need) a cross over for video. Those both are usually control cables (in my book they are anyway)

Shadowman68
03-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Thought I had heard that depending on the manufacturer, the line crossed over. May have been talking out my hat though. Been know to happen.
Total run length would be about 25ft. I havent looked at his laptop yet, so Im not sure what connection i would need, just speculating that it would be a VGA. It may be new enough to have an SVHS. Just thought VGA would give him a better picture.
Its for that 50k theatre that Im working on. I brought up the idea of bringing clients in and using it for media presentations. He loved it.
As of yet, we havent picked a PJ, I would like to get him into an H77 or a Sim2 either 20 or 30 depending on how bad he wants to blow his budget.

sirroundsound
03-09-2005, 08:28 AM
Cross over (null modem) cables get used for communication/control. Common connector is a DB9 (9pin), but there are others.
Ideal senario #1, laptop with VGA output plugs into wall jack, VGA cable going direct to projector VGA input. Do not use s-video for computer. Senario #2, even better. VGA from laptop goes to equipment rack, VGA from rack to projector. (along with various other cables you may feel the need to run) This will allow you to put either a scaler, or at least a switcher, allowing you to hook up something high def. and use the VGA input on the projector for both, minimun it is future proofing, what if you decide to add a media centre in the rack later. This will also require you to look into the projector you choose and make sure it has both VGA and DVI. DVI will be the better bet for your HD signals. I would expect you should be able to find a projector that has both and fits into the budget.
Don't forget, plan this out on paper, and concider the possibilities. Also make sure you look at what gets hooked up to where, sometimes instead of having 15 cables hanging out of the ceiling, a couple will do, add some sort of video processor in the rack. You can get a great projector, and it will look good when they are watching HD programs, but the regular channels look like hell, or the VCR looks like crap, if it's upconverted it may still look like crap, but it will be better crap. (at least you will know you have done everything you can to make it look as good as the signal could)

FRR
03-10-2005, 09:29 AM
If you're looking for a custom plate with a VGA connector don't forget Panel Crafters. You can get a custom plate made up for amost any type(s) of connector(s) that you may need.

http://www.libertycable.com/resources/panel.html

Panel Crafters is available in Canada through Trends in Vancouver. I just ordered one with RGB, RS232/DB9, IR and 12v connections for a projector wall plate that is wired back to the equipment rack. (in this installatiion I'm running all the video signals through the receiver therefore the RGB)

As sirroundsound indicated, figure out what you want to do and with what kind of interfaces.

Cheers

rhm9
03-10-2005, 10:49 AM
A bit more expensive but don't forget Extron
www.extron.com