PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a Plasma on a Metal Stud Wall

pknoll
03-09-2005, 07:24 AM
I'm about to embark on mounting a plasma onto an exterior wall in a townhouse that was recently (professionally) constructed in NYC. The studs are 24" on center. The wall is an exterior wall with heavier gauge studs than those flimsy things you normally see on interior non-loadbearing walls. I'm quite certain I can do the appropriate math for the weight of the plasma vs. the metal studs. Issue #1: Behind the drywall is the metal studs, the distance between the studs and the cinder block is 10".

Question #1: Should I use tapcons to attach wood to the cinder block and build it out the required distance to make the wall/studs more sturdy?

Issue #2: Is that the plasma will also be mounted onto an articulating arm. This twist will have an impact on the weight of the unit as it is pulled from the wall. It is anticipated that the unit will be moved at least twice daily.

Question#2: Anyone have any tips on resupporting the wall or on a preferred brand of articulating mount for performance?

LarryFine
03-09-2005, 07:37 AM
PK, check out this thread from the RCForum, where I suggest a mounting method:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-custom/thread.cgi?4620

While this was in response to a question about an interior wall, it should work fine on the structural studs you mentioned even without a rear layer of drywall. Those things are strong.

For mounts, Sanus, Peerless, and Chief are among the popular brands. Check on what's available locally to you. Anyone who sells plasmas should be able to recommend or supply mounts.

http://www.mountsandmore.com/cats/All/Plasma-and-LCD-Mounts/Plasma-Mounts/0C281.htm?refid=OV51.plasma+mount

w_home-tech
03-09-2005, 01:18 PM
your biggest problem here is 24" centers... Most brackets are made for 16" centers.

I've put multiple plasmas on steel stud walls with no problems- even on articulating arms, and on walls where the studs were 12' tall, but those were 16" centers

LarryFine
03-09-2005, 03:24 PM
My method as described on the link above will work fine either between two studs or stretching to three, regardless of stud spacing, and will suit any mount hole spacing.

sirroundsound
03-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Dalite screens has a plasma mount that looks like it can mount a few different ways.

vwpower44
03-09-2005, 09:07 PM
We actually use started using the Da-lite bracket oon our plasmas. Easy bracket, universal, cheap, tiltable, and you can lock the plasma onto the bracket for a commercial atmosphere.

Mike