PDA

View Full Version : Nuvo Simplese

tomciara
08-09-2006, 09:05 AM
I'd like to do a budget DA setup and the Simplese looks like it would be suitable...all except the keypads. In one or more rooms, could a better (K2 or RK3) keypad be substituted, or is that wiring harness they use completely proprietary? Is there an IR window on the front of the controller for a smarter keypad?

EliteJim
08-09-2006, 10:13 AM
Only the Simplese keypads can be used and there is no ir control on the main unit.

TedW
08-09-2006, 10:31 AM
it's a nice unit for the money though. I stacked two of them for an eight zone system and the price was comparable to a VC system.

tomciara
08-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Correct me if I am wrong, thought...you can't actually control a source (like turn on/play a CD, etc) from the keypad - only by flashing a remote on it?

Soundsgood
08-09-2006, 11:17 AM
You can try using the 232 port on the Simplese if you want to add a more advanced keypad. I have not done it with the Simplese but I have done it with the Concerto. Each zone has its standard keypad but the whole system can also be controlled with a touch screen.

TedW
08-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, thought...you can't actually control a source (like turn on/play a CD, etc) from the keypad - only by flashing a remote on it?

without the expansion keypad you are correct. It's a simple system for sure. But you get global control of four zones, local volume bass and treble and what I found to be much better sound than any resistor box/VC distribution system.

Kelly
08-09-2006, 01:51 PM
If you want source control with a keypad you could look at the Russound CAA6 series.

Still pretty basic, but they do allow for extension "transport command" keypads to be added with this system.

Want to do something really basic?

Use the Abus product with the Uno-IR keypad where you want that "must have" source control function.

It'll work. And the client with a low end taste will still get something well above a VC controlled system.

tomciara
08-12-2006, 11:27 PM
OK, so let's take the next step up in price. This client would be happy with Simplese style keypads in 3 zones but would like a K4 or RK3 in one zone for more control; maybe a DLO iPod dock. Would the RK3 get into one zone of the Simplese? Put that zone's keypad in the equipment closet and control it remotely with the RK3? The RK3 or K4 would nicely handle source equipment.

Or, is there an in betweener that will do the 4 source 4 zone control including 30 to 50 watts per channel in each zone? Or does the RK3 fit the bill as mentioned above?

The Simplese gives the control plus power amps for $1000. Sonance is the only other true multi zone system I've done and that uses separate chassis for controller and power, and bumps the price up to $2500 plus.

I haven't done Russound before; don't hear much from y'all about Niles; Xantech had gotten bad marks with the newest drag'n'drop; so that's about the breadth of my understanding.

Appreciate you bringing me up to speed.

tomciara
08-21-2006, 10:29 PM
If you want source control with a keypad you could look at the Russound CAA6 series.

Still pretty basic, but they do allow for extension "transport command" keypads to be added with this system.

Are the keypads for the Russound programmable to the point that they will learn other brand IR codes - is that what you meant by the above?

There is a Russound training tomorrow and I wondered if it was worth the 3 hours on the road back and forth.

"Volume Control Theory"
"New Product Introduction"
"RNET Product Training"

Taught by Dave Davis.

Any feedback? I don't know the Russound gear, so don't really know if it's good enough to go to school for.

I'm guessing I could do a CAA6 system without a day of school.

Thanks!

Kelly
08-22-2006, 07:16 AM
Tom,

I've had great luck with the Russound product over the years. Yeah, it's all over the net, just like most everything else. And there's the ADI thing too. But all in all, it's been a good, profitable line for me.

Yes, the extension keypads can learn commands for most equipment. I haven't found a product they won't control, although I'm sure that's always a possibility.

If you're going to CEDIA, I'd recommend taking the free training while there rather than taking the training at the Russound "road trip" sessions, which come at some cost...

Of course if you're up against the wall on this job, you've got a decision to make...

Maybe convince the client to allow you to just do a pre-wrie at this time? With the understanding that this will give you the time to come up with the best solution that fits their budget?

tomciara
09-03-2006, 02:28 AM
One last Russound question: Do the 44 and 66 systems come with software or do you have to buy the programming software from them?

Kelly
09-03-2006, 07:23 PM
No programming software. Just IR learning for the source control keypads...