PDA

View Full Version : Flip down plasma mechanisms?

Theaterworks
08-18-2006, 03:06 PM
I've had a request for my first. Anyone had a ringing recommendation, or a warning for something to stay away from?

Audiophiliac
08-18-2006, 07:59 PM
Sweet! I want to do one! :)

The only automated one we did was with an Auton lift in a custom cabinet. And it went nearly as smooth as butter. But a flip down would be coooool. Post pics during and after. :)

Special-Ed
08-18-2006, 08:43 PM
owen ... i have never done one but my concern is that the glass in the up position would be flat, this may cause warping of the plasma housing or some kind of funky issue.... i would do one up aand down if i had the choice.

auton makes a flip i think and maybe cheif... i know someone sent me something and i shit canned it as it was impracticle based on my paranoia

but hey who am i... if you can get it done post a picture and i'll tell you, you did a great job

ed

Theaterworks
08-19-2006, 11:53 AM
owen ... i have never done one but my concern is that the glass in the up position would be flat, this may cause warping of the plasma housing or some kind of funky issue.... i would do one up aand down if i had the choice.

auton makes a flip i think and maybe cheif... i know someone sent me something and i shit canned it as it was impracticle based on my paranoia

but hey who am i... if you can get it done post a picture and i'll tell you, you did a great job

ed

Auton has one on their web site, and I didn't see one on Chief's. I may wait till CEDIA on this one.

No room for a traditional lift; the apartment is the 52nd floor of a downtown condo high rise, and the ceiling is the concrete deck for the floor above.

tomciara
08-20-2006, 03:14 AM
There will not be any problems mounting the plasma in a horizontal state. You just wouldn't want to ship one like that, the shipper could get to rough with the package and cause an issue.
Auton would also be my recommendation.
The plasma fill port is exposed in the horizontal position only making the potential for leaks and carpet or hardwood damage an acute liability issue.

:wink:

ob1consulting
08-21-2006, 10:28 PM
I have also recently been asked for my 1st of these. I was looking into the chief pcl model vs the auton and inca models. has anyone here used the chief pcl and have any comments on operation, noise, and reliability?

thanks

Geno
08-22-2006, 08:32 AM
Look at Display Devices, I have used them for years and they are very reliable. Also they come with RS232 for control. So you are not using a relay port.
Check out this link.
http://www.displaydevices.com/products/flatpanellifts/pl3000/index.html

sirroundsound
08-24-2006, 11:23 AM
www.liftmytv.com

ATOH
08-24-2006, 12:07 PM
The plasma fill port is exposed in the horizontal position only making the potential for leaks and carpet or hardwood damage an acute liability issue.

:wink:

hahahahahahahahaha

Tom, you sound like you work at Best Buy! :mrgreen:

Theaterworks
08-24-2006, 01:14 PM
I've left three messages for a sales rep at Auton to call me back over the last three days, with no luck yet. Pretty uninspiring. I hope their tech support department is better, but I'm guessing not.

The Chief PCL is a lift, not a flip-down.

Robert
08-24-2006, 06:51 PM
I have only used their vertical lifts but they rock. At least give these guys a call. Everything is built to marine standards.
http://www.motivateddesign.com/folduppliftpage.htm

Robert

2ndRick
08-28-2006, 12:07 PM
One of our reps used to sell plasmas to high line motor coaches, and this is EXACTLY how they hide them...

Although I cannot be sure, I believe Fujitsu and Zenith (now LG) are the only two who would warranty the glass when it was installed in this fashion.

For those of you in my area, Joe C. is the one who I am talking about.

niv
09-29-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm glad i saw this thread...

we recently did a Marantz 61" with a flip down lift, we used Auton. Would not reccomend it. As mentioned earlier, getting someone to return your call from Auton was like pulling teeth.

i worked with a salesperson on the preliminary before ordering, received the lift, and found out they didn't account for the depth of a static bracket (which is required) so that the plasma would not fit while in the "up" position. Since the lift was drop-shipped straight to the job by a large truck, it would not fit in our van (Astro-cargo). We had to rent a U-Haul, drive the lift out to the factory (about an hour) and waste roughly one full day of our time in order for them to fix their mistake. They didn't seem to care. Again, the salesperson at Auton knew which plasma we were using, the weight capacity of the lift barely reaches the weight of lift + bracket +plasma so the General had to use a really thin coat of plaster on the underneath to fall within the weight limitation.

Long story short (too late)
for lifts since, we have used Electro-Kinetics and its been fine.

i just wanted to pass this on.

mark

SammPX
10-01-2006, 08:46 PM
We did an Electrokinetics about 5 years ago with a then new Sony PFM500 series pro monitor. It was a beast of a mount, 8-9 feet square, about a foot deep and heavy. Luckily, contractor had freedom to frame the ceiling to fit, plus he hung it in the hole. Worked great as far as I know, dot bomb guy whose company imploded right after move in and ended up stiffing us thousands.

Always had great luck with Electorkinetics.

simoneales
01-01-2007, 03:46 AM
We do truckloads of ceiling lifts.

Drop lifts
flip down
flip down, rotate
flip down, rotate, tilt
etc
etc

They all come from one company, don't know if they sell in the US though.

http://www.ultraliftaustralia.com.au/ultralift_index.htm

Simon.

EDIT: further investigation reveals that availability in the US is unlikely. Sorry, great product as a whole though.

Scottedge
02-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Owen did you ever install this? if so which mount did you use? thanks.

Theaterworks
02-06-2009, 07:04 AM
I sure did. I used the Lift My TV flip-up lift, sized for a 42" plasma.

Well built, with an aluminum channel frame. Noisy. The weight rating was low, and I expect between the plasma and the trim attached to the back of the flip I exceeded the weight rating by 25% or so. It still works.

Zero engineering drawings available from Lift My TV, and they're pretty unapologetic about it. If you buy one of these things you get the raw mechanism, and that's it. Expect to do your own engineering on installing it, and on getting the fascia you'll install on the back of it to clear the ceiling around it when you install that. I can send you the drawings I did for my project.

I can't recommend it.

Scottedge
02-06-2009, 12:34 PM
I sure did. I used the Lift My TV flip-up lift, sized for a 42" plasma.

Well built, with an aluminum channel frame. Noisy. The weight rating was low, and I expect between the plasma and the trim attached to the back of the flip I exceeded the weight rating by 25% or so. It still works.

Zero engineering drawings available from Lift My TV, and they're pretty unapologetic about it. If you buy one of these things you get the raw mechanism, and that's it. Expect to do your own engineering on installing it, and on getting the fascia you'll install on the back of it to clear the ceiling around it when you install that. I can send you the drawings I did for my project.

I can't recommend it.

Thanks Owen. Maybe I'll try to talk them into a lift at the base of their bed.