PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Speakers

Toronto122
03-14-2005, 09:42 AM
Ok, new problem...

I need some wireless speakers. Good ones, under $1000.00 US.

I have no way to run wires as the room is all wood paneled, and the damage would be too great (the house is over 100 years old).

Any input would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

sirroundsound
03-14-2005, 07:51 PM
Something tells me the term "wireless" and "good" do not go together well.
What do you expect to get out of battery operated speakers? There are versions of perplas that are wood, various grains. Not cheap, but a way to hide wires, keep the wood finish in the room and install "real" speakers. If your client is willing to spend 1000.00, you certainly should be able to spend a couple of hundred on the fancy wire raceway, and still have lots left to put decent speakers up.

Shadowman68
03-14-2005, 08:47 PM
I agree with Sirroundsound. I cant recall who the manufacturer is off hand, but they make a 4 inch 2 piece hollow baseboard, it has a back that is secured to the wall, you run your cable in this, then you snap on the decorative front. I will check my favorites folder and see if I can dig up a link.

lowvoltguy
03-14-2005, 10:20 PM
[quote="Toronto122"]Ok, new problem...

I need some wireless speakers. Good ones, under $1000.00 US.

Wireless and "good" speakers is a bad combo ... I don't think this animal will ever exist ... Wiremold ... routing out baseboard/crown molding (my fav) ... carpet runs (ERGH) ... Is the solution ... be creative ...

Also ... drywall is not that expensive to fix ...

vwpower44
03-15-2005, 06:28 AM
What about removing the toe strippings. Run them through a power planer to create a gap for the speaker wire. You will have to use small gauge speaker wire (18-20 gauge). Make sure you don't nail the wires when putting the toe stripping back on.

Also if there is a base board. Remove the base board and run the wires between the baseboard and the wood paneled wall. You might have to notch out a small section of the panel to place you wires, but it will be covered by the baseboard.

Mike

Toronto122
03-15-2005, 11:14 AM
If there was ANY way to run wire, I would, but it's impossible...

I'm not looking for JM Labs or anything like that...just something that doesn't sound like an AM radio...there has to be something out there.

sirroundsound
03-15-2005, 02:03 PM
http://www.boysstuff.co.uk/product.asp?id=10614&cid=

This is about the best you can get, a few others out there in the same price range, most are from RCA or other lower end companies.

Good luck

sirroundsound
03-15-2005, 02:10 PM
Don't forget flat wire, it hides almost anywhere. If they are that serious (or you are) about getting speakers to a location, anything is possible... a good carpenter can tell you what he can do with the walls or baseboard to put things back just the way they were. Is it the wall that the speakers need to go on thats the problem? or other areas that make it difficult to run wires? Maybe a little more info and a different solution may be found.
There are wireless audio senders, use one of them to go to an amp on the other side of the room, then speakers on stands? No damage at all that way.

Ghost
03-16-2005, 02:40 AM
Wow, if it's going to be that cheap. I think I would make a strong case for a good 2 channel audio system. A good quality 2 channel system will be much more enjoyable than a cheap surround sound, any day of the week.

Just thought about it - I seen a 5.1 system at Kroger for $99, it could fit in your shopping cart.
You can't get a pair of speakers for $99 dealer cost that's decent, let alone 5 with sub and an amp.
WTF ha,ha,ha,ha....

Toronto122
03-18-2005, 07:27 AM
Money's not the object here...

As for flat wire...there's no carpet, it's a very old house with hardwood floors.

But $100 is a little on the cheap side...there's money to be made here folks...we should develop something like that, you know, something nice like maybe some B&W 800's that only need an AC source. There has to be a market for something like that.

sirroundsound
03-18-2005, 07:41 AM
YOu have just added wires!!

Ghost
03-18-2005, 09:52 AM
By cheap, I was meaning that all wireless speakers are cheap - they suck, so know one makes a higher end solution.

OK, you are now indicating that A/C power is avaliable to the speakers in the rear - you just can't get signal there. This would be a little easier to over come. There are many good self-powered speakers (read need A/C) out their [Genelec, Meridian, ect...], you just have to get signal to them. And there are some wireless signal senders out there that can get you a signal to each speaker, just can't think of any right off the top of my head that are high quality.

djnorm
03-18-2005, 01:15 PM
Funny story...

Years ago (read early 80's) a customer bought some speakers from us and brought them home with some wire... Few days later we get a phone call - "These speakers don't work - all they did was make a loud noise, and then some smoke, and then nothing!" Come to find out he was annoyed that we hadn't supplied the plugs, so he went to his local hardware store and bought plugs, hooked them up to the wires, and plugged them in. To the wall. "what do you mean hook them up to the stereo? I thought the sound went through the electric!"

That last suggestion with the Genelecs sounds good to me...

integrate
07-19-2006, 04:26 PM
Check out http://control4.com/cp/80-AA65D1A9/index.htm

This is a wireless speaker point allowing you to use anybody's speakers you choose.

They work well, and are inexpensive.

TedW
07-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Personally I've never run accross a situation that I couldn't get wires through in some way or another but for 1G you've got a few things you could do that will definately NOT sound like a surface mount trasistor radio. SONOS or slimserver is something else that comes to mind and they can sound extremely good. Slim server to a pair of Genelecs would probably sound very good.

RobbieS
07-19-2006, 08:26 PM
What about Polks IP addressable speakers??? Haven't played with them yet so I don't know if they would work or not.

I know in the pro audio world we have some wireless speakers that work very well. However they A) May exceed the $1000 budget B) Would be ugly as sin in a residential Installation C) Still have to have electrical to power them.

FRR
07-20-2006, 07:25 AM
Sonos makes wireless systems that are better than the Kroger brand. The only problem is that the speakers need 120v near by.

http://www.sonos.com/

I still have to ask why are you un-able to run wires? If it truely is a 100 year old home my first option (as previously suggested) would be trying to hide the speaker wires behind moldings. I've never seen an old house that didn't have big baseboards or crown molding. Obviously this requires some wood working ability as well as a good compound mitre saw and a bunch of other specialty tools. Also, I'm sure that there are a number of custom molding shops in the GTA that can make the same style of molding that is in the house. My only concern with this type of work in this age of house is if the original paint is still on the walls. That more than likely means lead paint and safety issues with removing baseboards and crown molding.

Cheers

PAAI
07-20-2006, 01:23 PM
I have seen these in the PROSOUND magazine I get. Give them a Try and report back to us. I have not had the right project come up where I needed them yet.

http://www.azdencorp.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=28