PDA

View Full Version : Caddy Plastic Retro Rings

AHEM
08-27-2006, 12:42 AM
Anyone else have the pleasure of using these yet?

IMO, the best low voltage old-work ring out there. Try them if you've not already.

http://www.erico.com/products/CADDYcfcMntgPltBrcktNM.asp

Beau
08-27-2006, 01:28 AM
I thought those things were the bomb as I had a couple of installs where they worked perfectly...though they do not work as well with abnormal or thick walls and stiff coax.

n_stallr
08-27-2006, 07:42 AM
I use them often for residential. They do work pretty well. The 3/4 gang unit comes in handy for keypads+function pads.

I definately like them better than any retro box that uses the "dog leg" scheme.

vette84
08-27-2006, 01:06 PM
I still like these better. http://www.erico.com/products/CADDYcfcMntngPltBrcktsMtllc.asp

Unless you cut the hole dead nuts, the plastic ones can still move around a little.

Plus, the metal ones take much less room in the truck.

idodishez
08-27-2006, 10:26 PM

IMO, the best low voltage old-work ring out there. Try them if you've not already.

Yep. But they always seemed to be too loose when the plate was mounted. So I could therefore never get it to stay level. Maybe I didnt have it "dead nuts", but how often does that happen?

Canyon
08-27-2006, 10:28 PM

AHEM, I bought a bag of these (or maybe similar) to try out a while back. If I recall correctly, I couldn't take them off once installed.

Can you confirm whether or not these come off easily? Thanks.

AHEM
08-27-2006, 11:00 PM
AHEM, I bought a bag of these (or maybe similar) to try out a while back. If I recall correctly, I couldn't take them off once installed.

Can you confirm whether or not these come off easily? Thanks.

I've never tried removing one, but I just assembled one, and no, you really cannot remove them and reuse them once they've been installed. They're easy enough to break apart, but they wouldn't live to see another wall.

That doesn't bother me so much though. They're cheap enough do basically be disposable.

I haven't had a problem with them tilting in the wall, but I've also only used them in applications where I've cut the hole for them. Presumably, if you've got an oversized hole, they're not going to lock as tight as the metal ones with the screws would.

The issue that I have with the metal rings is threefold:

1. The ring is conductive and it's very easy to accidentally short something against them.
2. The band that the screws run through are sometimes tricky to get tight bends in and you wind up with a metal band at the top and/or bottom of the opening. which can interfere with the mounting of a tall device such as a volume control or keypad.
3. The screws themselves are positioned so close to the screw hole where the device mounts that the head of the drywall screw usually hits the edge of the installed plate which then protrudes from the wall and causes a gap between the wall and the plate.

CCD
08-28-2006, 12:15 AM
I only use Arlington LV-1s. What is wrong with those? I find them cheap and easy to use.
http://www.asihome.com/ASIshop/product_info.php?products_id=1296

I think I paid .59 each last time I bought a case.

AHEM
08-28-2006, 12:53 AM
They're easy to use, but I don't like how far the front edge protrudes off of the wall. I constantly found myself routing out 1/8" of drywall to get them to sit flush.

The other cool thing about the new Caddy's is that they have little plastic "spikes" at the four corners to use as a cutting template. You simply place them in the desired position, press them against the wall, cut between the for dimples left on the wall, and snap in the plate.

For ordinary drywall, with nothing more then a 6" level, tape measure and a drywall saw, you can install them in 30 seconds or less. No pencil or screwdriver is required.

Special-Ed
08-28-2006, 04:06 PM
my only gripe with these are that when you are retroing in a big $$$ sound system the keypads and trim rings dont quite fit snug on the wall... almost like you have to kinda recess the retro ring a bit.....

jed the ones you posted look good.... do they plates and keypads sit snug ....?

ed

CCD
08-28-2006, 08:35 PM
my only gripe with these are that when you are retroing in a big $$$ sound system the keypads and trim rings dont quite fit snug on the wall... almost like you have to kinda recess the retro ring a bit.....

jed the ones you posted look good.... do they plates and keypads sit snug ....?

ed
I have never used them for a keypad, all my DA systems are new construction.
I use them behind the gear with a wire port plate and I never have really fussed with the cosmetics since I am the only one who would care. I know they are not like the Carlon ones that leave a huge gap. They may not work well with keypads. Anyone know?
Oh... do beware they leave screws protruding into the wall that are good for fileting your wrists. Now that would be a bad way to die.

idodishez
08-29-2006, 11:18 AM
slightly OT, but I was in one of the depot stores the other day. I came across a level for mounting light switches. Its not the normal level for CUTTING the box holes, but a level that slips over the top of a toggle OR a decora switch, and level them and properly spaces them betweeen the other switches in the box. I thought it was a GREAT idea, as I am very a anal, and spend too much time lining up switches. For $5, WTF? I couldnt find a google search for it, but it waa either Lowes or Menards.