PDA

View Full Version : Screen Goo - Who has used it and what were the results?

Beau
08-29-2006, 12:42 AM
So...what's the "goo" all about? :confused:

It HAS to be a step above semi-gloss right? :rolleyes:

Are there competing products that are better? :confused:

Please share your gooey stories........................................... .....:eek:

tschulte
08-29-2006, 08:04 AM
I have sold a couple to customers, but never used it. I have gotten mixed reviews. Some say it is very expensive for what you get, others say the directions were well worth it. The guys at the local AVAD swear by it, they say they have one CI that buys 10 kits a month.

I personally would have to say it is just slightly better than semi-gloss or matte paint. It is VERY thick (at least the stuff I have seen). I really like that they include the black paint for the edges. One customer didn't understand what it was for and kept complaining about "the light on the sides." Once I got him to paint the black, it was not a problem.

A friend of mine used matte white paint on the screen wall. Well first he had a very anal taper make sure the wall was completly smooth. Then he shot the projector on to the wall and marked the corners. Then he took some molding that he stained very dark and tacked it around where the picture would be. He painted the rest of the room "Freedom Blue" and it looks great. It made me rethink if a screen was really necessary.

Jerry
08-29-2006, 08:54 AM
So...what's the "goo" all about? :confused:

It HAS to be a step above semi-gloss right? :rolleyes:

Are there competing products that are better? :confused:

Please share your gooey stories........................................... .....:eek:

I'm confused!
You wont sell the "junk" KEF speakers, but you would sell screen goo?

Beau
08-29-2006, 09:00 AM
I'm confused!
You wont sell the "junk" KEF speakers, but you would sell screen goo?

You have a better solution for a billiard room wall where the viewing wall will get stabbed by pool cues?

Audiophiliac
08-29-2006, 09:18 AM
Make the room bigger? :)

I cant stand people who insist on having pool tables but dont want to make the room for them. 5 feet minimum on every side of the table, and you wouldnt have to worry about people stabbing the wall.

Just my rant. Carry on.

2ndRick
08-29-2006, 11:26 AM
I think that Screen Goo is the most ridiculous thing I have seen in quite some time... If you want a screen, buy a screen....

I would like to know how they would address the common question of surface preparation before the application of the product.

Their website lists recommended substrates of various types (including stretched fabric!!), but I would assume that the large percentage of people buying this would be applying this product over plain drywall.

With the size of the screens used today, it is nearly 100% likely that the image area will include some sheetrock seams, and will definitely include multiple patches over drywall screws.

When these areas are hit with the amount of light that today’s projectors generate, every defect will be clearly visible in the projected image. We cannot assume that the finishing will be perfect, and many of the projects in this price range will modest theaters and media rooms in existing homes where the shrinking of the sheetrock compound over time makes these imperfections even more obvious.

Even the sheetrock finishing in most NEW homes would not pass muster.
After all, is not intended to pass inspection by multiple people staring directly at a small area illuminated by a 250W lamp for 2+ hours at a time. The homeowners don’t have to notice the defects immediately, but once they see a seam, they will ALWAYS notice that seam.

Also, since most installers are generally NOT painting anything on their projects, is would be a good assumption that it will be common to specify the size/shape/location of a painted screen and hand the finishing off to a painter.

So, they sell the product at a lower price than a traditional screen, pass the “install” labor to another contractor (painter), and then need to spend more time than a screen install would require to manage the project from sheetrock finishing through to the application by these other contractors.

Unless they jump through a LOT of extra hoops on the surface preparation, they will be disappointed and we will lose some of our credibility and future referrals for having recommended it.

My personal opinion is that this product might be suitable for low end over-the-counter retail sales... but INSTALLERS should not deal with this line.

It is too painful, rarely results in a long term satisfied customer, and ultimately takes resources away from promoting, selling, and installing things we actually make money with, and make clients happy.

FRR
08-29-2006, 11:46 AM
Like all products it has it's applications and and price points that it meets. More a DIY'er type of product and as with any product that is to be painted onto a surface preparation is EXTREMELY important.

So, depending on how anal you are with finishing a sheetrock wall the result can be quite good. Given how much time a work is required to get a sheetrock wall with seams smooth a less expensive screen such as from Elite Screens ...etc. becomes a competitive/attractive alternative.

It does have it's place in the world and it's better than a basic semi-gloss or matt paint.

whdigital
08-29-2006, 12:20 PM
I think one of the coolest uses of ScreenGoo is in commercial applications where a screen just won't work, but the performance isn't as 'discerning' as a home theater. For example, I am doing a church right now with twin PJ's throwing a 9' image 78' (big gun lenses on those babies). Anyway, the aesthetics are such that they will not have a screen of any type, drop-down, raise-up or fixed - but painting the entire walls with Goo will help with reasonably accurate colors in PowerPoint slides - at a minimum, we want the white text to look white. Nobody cares about dimples in the wall with a minimum viewing distance of like 20'

Let me also say that I've seen ScreenGoo applied properly and I really liked the performance - and it looks really slick when you don't want that fixed screen look in the room. Don't be too quick to write off this product.

sirroundsound
08-29-2006, 12:21 PM
We just did a small "condo" theater with Goo.
Figured it would be as good a place as any to try it.
Instead of trying to get someone else to assure us of a flat surface we ordered a sheet of sintra. Cut to size and painted away.
After all was finished (and doing it twice because a condo on site painter decided to touch the screen before it was dry) I have to say that picture quality was passable. Even without having to paint 2 times, the amount of labour required to deal with this product doesn't save anybody any money, at least in our case.
I agree, used in special applications where there would be no way to install a real screen, this product will work in a pinch, just make sure you add extra for labour, it really will take you longer than you think.

The DIY crowd could save money with it, as their time isn't actually worth anything.

Special-Ed
08-29-2006, 04:35 PM
screen goo... what the fuc%.. hire a pro. goo is for dyi who cant afford a real screen

ed

n_stallr
08-29-2006, 05:26 PM
I suppose one could paint a properly primed and sealed piece of MDO with "The Goo" for this billiard room scenario?

Would be alot more durable than drywall.... and smooth.

Cut to size, paint and hang via drywall screws around the perimeter, then trim off the edges with flat black painted trim?

Of course you're limited to about a 92" diagonal at 16:9...

No experience with this.... just something that came to mind.

I'm no projection expert, but judging from other input on this thread, it seems this person would have to choose picture quality or durability.

tschulte
08-29-2006, 06:34 PM
Don't get me wrong, we have not "installed" this product. For some reason, I guess through AVAD, we had the customers referred to us. I simply passed the box along and took my profit.

But like I said, my buddy trying to finish his basement on the cheap simply used a matte white wall. Now I should say that his taper buddy did skim coat the entire will with about 1/8" of mud so no seams or screw heads showed. It was VERY smooth when finished. But for what he spent on mud, the taper, the special paint (yeah it is hard to find matte paint) and his time, I could have sold him a screen. You just can't convince some people.

n_stallr
08-29-2006, 07:29 PM
I hope not to be misinterpreted, I'm definately not in favor of this "material" versus a properly spec'ed screen.

Just trying to offer a solution, since from reading his posts he is against a screen of any kind because of potential damage.

Being where I'm from, I often have but no choice to work with circumstances given to me. We don't have the large customer base and mega-dollar homes that larger metropolitan areas have, and I'm sometimes forced to make less than ideal compromises. I do, however, inform the client of the negative effects of the compromise BEFORE signing the contract.

If he feels a proper screen is not ideal, my suggestion may be an alternative provided he informs the customer of the outcome, good or bad, before signing agreements and performing the work. If the client has lower expectations before the project begins... the outcome just may exceed his expectations.

krasmuzik
08-29-2006, 07:35 PM
I don't understand the painted screen idea either. To make it look right you need the black frame - which defeats the whole idea of the "hidden" screen. And major wall prep - or finding the sheet goods at the blue or orange store with a perfect surface large enough for the screen. In which case you are back to a framed thing on your wall anyways.

I could only see it in the cases where you paint the whole wall and don't want a frame. Infocus does that in their corporate showroom so they can do side by side shootouts. But they just did a bright white home depot paint.

For DIY types (and I have even been paid to do this) - I always recommend buying raw screen fabric and stretching/stapling on canvas stretcher bars. Cost about the same as paint prep and actually takes less time - for a pro result - with opportunity for WAF framing which is guaranteed to cost a heck of a lot more at the arts&crafts store!

But it was in the AVAD flyer - so somebody must be doing these painted screen installs. If I recall it was highlited in the DIY HT show (so easy - you just paint the wall!) - so maybe that is where it is coming from. I guess the custom pitch is you can mix your own gain/shade for a perfect projector match.

In the pool room situation - what are you going to do when chalk and rubber from the cues surely mar the painted wall screen? TAW has been advertising their childproof XTREME screen in the trades looking for dealers - that might be an option instead.

Beau
08-30-2006, 02:56 AM
This is a total "extra" room...there is going to be a 777 or Sim2 or something in the theater with a proper Stewart Filmscreen. I'd never spec. it for critical viewing. It's mainly for X-Box actually...maybe movies...but why bother with a dedicated theater just above.

ambleside
08-30-2006, 08:53 AM
How about just hanging a cheap screen? Have you looked at SnapAV?

2ndRick
08-30-2006, 10:00 PM
But it was in the AVAD flyer - so somebody must be doing these painted screen installs.
Don't be so quick to assume that anyone in the CI channel is actually buying this stuff...
I think that the AVS buzz is just generating some leads, which are then passed on to dealers (like tshulte's company) who don't mind turning it over to the DIY crowd to make a few bucks over the counter.

Then again, they are also selling this sh*t direct... Which ALWAYS pisses me off.

Some of the l;eads I have gotten are for "installers" to apply the product for consumers who have bougbt direct. I said to look in the phone book under "house painters". Any dealer who may have considered dealing with this mess WITH the sale of the product, would surely run away if they weren't even allowed to make the few bucks on the sale.

CCD
08-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Yeah like the free demo screen some of us got from them.

Matt
08-30-2006, 10:55 PM
Bottom line is, the pool cue's will still marr up the surface whether it is paint or vinyl. In this instance, I would use a drop down screen. Do you really think that a painted wall will look any better with stick damage than a screen? Get the screen out of the way when not in use.

Beau
08-31-2006, 12:50 AM

Hey! Hillsborough...hahaha...grew up there...went to West, Crocker etc...

Lived on Alberta Way & Denise...just down From Black Mtn. Road.

One of our clients got a bid from you I think. The Greenfields. FYI - they didn't want Crestron and all that so we ended up flying up there and doing a pretty small upgrade...new amp and MX I think.

Beau
08-31-2006, 12:53 AM
Bottom line is, the pool cue's will still marr up the surface whether it is paint or vinyl. In this instance, I would use a drop down screen. Do you really think that a painted wall will look any better with stick damage than a screen? Get the screen out of the way when not in use.

Drop down not really feasible. Again...this application is for a total NON-Critical viewing area...hell...I'm only using a SP5000 for this room anyhow...the 777 (or whatever we end up choosing) is going upstairs in the dedicated theater.

TonyAngelo
09-06-2006, 03:48 PM
I've used it. It's not terrible. I'd recommend watching the how-to video on their website and getting someone to do it who can paint well. The two things i would pay most attention to are surface preperation and application. As others have pointed out, imperfections in the sheetrocking/mudding can show up. And painting lines will show up if it's not applied evenly.

And make sure you either paint or make a frame.

lowvoltguy
09-06-2006, 09:38 PM
I've used it. It's not terrible. I'd recommend watching the how-to video on their website and getting someone to do it who can paint well. The two things i would pay most attention to are surface preperation and application. As others have pointed out, imperfections in the sheetrocking/mudding can show up. And painting lines will show up if it's not applied evenly.

And make sure you either paint or make a frame.

Are we painters or custom installers??? I'll leave the GOO to the DIY's ...

TonyAngelo
09-08-2006, 09:38 AM
If a client's willing to pay me enough money to do something, then I'll probably do it. I'm not 'above' painting a screen on a wall. (although I can't paint well so I'll just sub it out)

Beau
09-08-2006, 11:52 PM
That's what I'm doing...subing it out...leave the painting to the pros + they'll do it for a 6 pack of beer! - might get 'em a case though - LOL

"That's thirsty work." - my favorite painters quote.

krasmuzik
10-18-2006, 06:51 PM
I just did a trial 2'x2' piece of wallboard - freshly primed no texture using a DIY paint color - Glidden Misty Evening - so I could have a screen match for calibration purposes.

I swear ever little arm hair and bug snot that lands on there shows up like a poke in the eye. I think you would want someone with custom auto painting experience to do this kind of work - with a paint room! Nobody ever sees this stuff on their walls because they don't shine a 1000 lumen torchlight on them - but it is there!

My 60" SilverStar has a dent in it - and I need to have a rigid screen in the living room HT - as I have a kitty that likes to play with the movie screen. So I may do this - but I cannot ever imagine doing it for a customer.

Aside from our favorite disty selling the paint - there is another one selling finished rigid screens made with this. I hope they don't sub it out to hairy painters!

Nytech Rob
07-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Haha, yeah definitely a product for the diy's, i would be embarassed to even suggest it to a residential client.

However I did use it once in a commercial installation, we had to hang a screen about 30' up above an aluminum smelter that they used to project production information onto for the wheels they were building. It worked quite well in this case, where obviously picture quality was not the most important factor. We had to run ac directly into the projector housing as well, that was a fun one!! ;)

-Rob
www.nytech.ca
Cedia Certified Professional Installer
Cedia Certified Professional Designer