PDA

View Full Version : DirecTV multiswitches

Beau
09-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Anybody know how DirecTV deals with cascading the multiswitches? They have a 6x8 now as I understand it for their new 5LNB dish...what if I have more than 8 boxes? I see that Spaun has new ones but is there an alternative? DirecTV was telling me that you only need 1 line from the dish to feed the multiswitch, therefore you could just use 2 6x8's...that just doesn't sound right.

Pilgrim
09-13-2006, 12:17 AM
Anybody know how DirecTV deals with cascading the multiswitches? They have a 6x8 now as I understand it for their new 5LNB dish...what if I have more than 8 boxes? I see that Spaun has new ones but is there an alternative? DirecTV was telling me that you only need 1 line from the dish to feed the multiswitch, therefore you could just use 2 6x8's...that just doesn't sound right.

One line?

That's going to be one busy multi switch!

You're going to need all four from the built in multi switch to feed the others (unless something has changed in the last hour or so).

I could be wrong, I haven't followed as closely as should have since I reneued my sbca license and was dropped as a dealer shortly after because of their "new" business plan.

When they offered to let us come back for 25 cents an hour, we declined.

Beau
09-13-2006, 12:42 AM
Last year at Cedia I talked to Spaun and they said DirecTV was keeping them out of the loop...seems like that's changed...

http://www.spaun.com/products_wideband.htm

BUT...I am pretty sure DirecTV installers aren't using Spaun multiswitches...so I'm just curious as to what they do for 8+ boxes ya know?

Audiophiliac
09-13-2006, 01:18 AM
Not sure what they do...besides add more dishes. But I have used the Zinwell 6x8 with only 3 inputs from the dish and it seemed to work. It was only temporary, but it still worked. Of course we only had 6 receivers connected to it. The new Spaun looks cool, but it doesnt have a Flexport for 92.5/75 or whatever the locals are. BUT check this out. We just hooked up our HR10-250 in our new demo theater to our OLD SCHOOL dish with the SAT C LNB kit, and we get local channels from DirecTV. We didnt ask for them, nor do we have a dish aimed there....but we get them. ?

So I think they may be in the process of moving some programming around hopefully to avoid having multiple dishes.

flcusat
09-13-2006, 05:20 AM
I haven't tried the new dishes yet. I'll pass by the Spaun booth and find out if they have any thing new.

tschulte
09-13-2006, 07:35 AM
Have you called Skywalker (in my hometown)? They have a multiswitches for the old 4LNB with the built-in multi-switch, that took them to 8 or 16. If it is out there I bet they have one for the new 5LNB.

http://www.skywalker.com/

RobbieS
09-13-2006, 06:30 PM
If you have to use the 72.5 or 95 Orbital (maybe off a bit with the numbers)

Then you have to mount multiple dishes once you go past 8 receivers. We recently did a school and had to mount 4 of each dish. A total of 8 dishes with 4 of their 6x8 zinwell multiswitches so we could do 30 sat receivers. I talked to spaun and they had no way to support the 72.5 or 95 Orbital locations and told me I had to use multiple dishes. Hopefully this is being changed because I hate building satellite farms.

lowvoltguy
09-13-2006, 09:27 PM
I can't even focus on you're question, let alone try to offer a solution ... You're Icon is distracting me ;-)

idodishez
09-13-2006, 10:09 PM
I can't even focus on you're question, let alone try to offer a solution ... You're Icon is distracting me ;-)

And my guess is it wont last long.

As for the original question... I havent touched the new 5 lnb dishes yet, as we hardly do any DTV anymore. But I think whoever told you that you could do it w one line is smokin sumn.

Might also call perfect-10 to see if they have any cascadable switches, or if they exist. Do a google for them and your likley to come up with some more pictures like your avatar, but without the top.

As for the other comments on locals with the old school dish. Are you referring to SD or HD locals? SD locals is normal on the regular birds.

Audiophiliac
09-13-2006, 11:12 PM
Yes SD locals on a triple LNB dish. I have always seen DTV install a second 18" dish to pick up the 72.5 dish that the SD locals here (Boise, ID) are transmitted on. Now I find out that you can receive them on 110, 119, 101? Why the second dish? Unless like I thought, that they recently moved the local SD to one of those 3 sats.

metrognomicon
09-14-2006, 12:47 AM
There's a Spaun training session if you're at CEDIA. I could post some stuff afterwards if you want...the class is Friday, I think.

Beau
09-14-2006, 01:13 AM
Well...like I said...and posted the link to...Spaun DOES have a multiswitch for the new 5LNB dishes...I'm just curious how the average sat. installer shmuck does it.

roddymcg
09-17-2006, 04:40 PM
According to Spaun they have a 5x12 multiswitch, if need more than 12 then you need to split the incoming 4 cables and feed them to 2 seperate 5 x 12's. Looks like that could be kind of a pain in the rear, but it the solution they are offering at this time.

I think 24 ports cover all my previous installs. I know I have a couple out there that are very near this limit though.

Beau
09-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Ya...DirecTV told me to just buy it at Best Buy or Radio Shack:rolleyes: It's really lame when you can't even get good information right from the source.

roddymcg
09-17-2006, 07:38 PM
Ya...DirecTV told me to just buy it at Best Buy or Radio Shack:rolleyes: It's really lame when you can't even get good information right from the source.

Are you really expecting good information from a large company like Direct TV??

flcusat
09-18-2006, 07:31 AM
According to Spaun they have a 5x12 multiswitch, if need more than 12 then you need to split the incoming 4 cables and feed them to 2 seperate 5 x 12's. Looks like that could be kind of a pain in the rear, but it the solution they are offering at this time.

I think 24 ports cover all my previous installs. I know I have a couple out there that are very near this limit though.

Spaun also has a 16 output multiswitch if I remember correctly.

roddymcg
09-18-2006, 08:40 AM
Spaun also has a 16 output multiswitch if I remember correctly.

For the new dishes? Their rep told me 12 was the biggest multiswitch currently.

bradodegard
09-18-2006, 09:26 AM
Your solution is as follows:

Obtain 2GHZ splitters in 2, 3, 4 or whatever way you need, depending on the number of multi-switches you need to drive. These splitters must be "All Port Power Passing", otherwise it won't work.

Run dish feeds down to the Splitters, then out of splitters and into the appropriate inputs of each switch (you'll need 4-6 splitters for this, depending on if you need the 95 and 72.5 feeds).

This will give you outputs in multiples of 8 for your system.

Background

You must use "all port power passing" splitters for the following reason. Because the Zinwell is a passive (non-powered) switch, it un-powers any LNB input that is not being called for by an STB that is connected to it as a power saving measure. By using the all port splitters, you assure that whatever multi-switch that is calling for programming from that LNB can provide the power required.

Side Note:

Direct TV indicated that a new multiswitch was in the process of being "certified" by them that was powered and would provide additional outputs. Currently the Zinwell is the only switch that supports the 95 and 72.5 flexports, the Spaun does not at this time.

Brad

Beau
09-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks Brad!:D

Well...the preliminary install is done...they DirecTV dudes came and mounted the dish and we tested all the outlets after the multiswitches.

We used 2 Zinwells. 4 in from the dish...used 4 of the 8 outs for rooms and the other 4 outs to feed the second multiswitch...then the remainder of the rooms are going out of that multiswitch.

TV's are not installed yet and boxes are not activated...so we'll see if it actually works. :mrgreen: :rolleyes: