PDA

View Full Version : ReQuest Patents

brandenpro
04-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Looks like ReQuest is getting ready to play the patent litigation game.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20057584-261.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

When sales shrink just SUE!

metrognomicon
04-26-2011, 05:33 PM
I think they're perfectly justified in pursuing it.

Mark
04-26-2011, 05:36 PM
I think it is more advertising, make everyone aware you have something of value and someone just might buy it. I own several patents and have more pending. I have had to defend them 3 times and each time the other party backed off. Should it ever have to go "all the way" I expect it to cost me a minimum of one mill. You get patents for a reason and no one wants to defend them, just having them is usually enough. The courts are fickle and the money pours out the door but, if you lose, you lose possible future income and if you win, well, remember GoVideo, they made more suing than selling. Someone always loses and there aren't any sure bets.

2ndRick
04-26-2011, 11:21 PM
remember GoVideo, they made more suing than selling.
I remember GoVideo... Dual deck VCRs

Another appropriate comparison may be Rio and ReplayTV. They very well may have had the better mousetrap in their respective categories, but they were just outclassed in bringing their products to market.

The people behind each of these companies got a solid payday because their intellectual property was worth a lot, even of their product sales were not.

flcusat
04-27-2011, 03:49 AM
, remember GoVideo, they made more suing than selling. Someone always loses and there aren't any sure bets.

Remember a guy name Noel Lee? I don't know if he is making more money suing than selling, but pretty sure anyone of us could make a very comfortable living the rest of our lives with the money he had made out suing companies with the word "Monster" in their name.

AudibleSolutions
04-27-2011, 08:09 AM
When sales shrink just SUE!

1. Failure to enforce a patent is prima facie cause to lose it. It is at least one reason Monster sues as often as it does.

2. While their claim to owning all patents on syncing data does seem broad it's hard to know if the techniques being employed do not infringe on their intellectual property

3. It does seem to be an effort of last resort to earn some money by selling or leasing intellectual property they think has value before the company goes under.