PDA

View Full Version : Bob Carver and technology

tomciara
10-02-2006, 10:48 AM
Just reading the new Custom Retailer - article there interviewed Mark Weisenberg (formerly from Integra) who is now GM for Sunfire. He spoke glowingly about Carver and some of his unconventional technology.

We used to call his Phase Linear amps "Blaze Linear" when we took them in for major repairs.

The Auto Correlator and Sonic Holography may have had limited attraction, but I always had respect for what he came up with in amplifiers.

Way back when, the "cube", which was 200 watts per channel in a box about the size of a small coffee can. No heat sinks visible as I remember.

The current Theater Grand Receiver - 3 uses a fancy power supply - puts out 200 watts x 7 channels, runs at 77 degrees, and has no heat vents on the top!

Holacow!

Greg_C
10-02-2006, 03:53 PM
Way back in the 70's, when I got my college loan, I went out to spend it wisely on an M-400 amp (the cube) a NAD pre-amp, and a pair of Magna-Planers. The amp lasted about 15 years, had it fixed once and ran for another 10 before I sold it for my first THX rig.

J. MacDonald
02-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Bob's certainly come up with some interesting stuff over the years. His current offerings from Sunfire are the best sounding, and most reliable I've ever seen from him. Way different from the Phase and Carver days. The amps produce prodigious amounts of power and run cool, making them perfect for stuffing in racks in closets where heat's always a problem. His True Sub line certainly changed the entire sub category.

In the interest of full discloure, I'm an independent manufacturer's rep in So Cal and have worked with Sunfire for over ten years.I do have to say that over that time I've been able to spend a fair amount of time with Bob and he truly is one of the most interesting people I know. The conversation can go in all sorts of directions and it's never boring.

His new Cinema Ribbon speakers are getting a lot of attention in my territory. It looks like he's come up with something just a little different once again.

I hope my first post doesn't sound too much like a commercial, but it's a topic I'm really familiar with.