PDA

View Full Version : Krell teams with Leon Speakers to produce Krell's first on-wall speakers

2ndRick
08-28-2011, 05:16 PM
The Scan-Speak drivers are at the very top of available technology, and the details provided about the crossover and cabinet design reek of typical Krell overengineering.

I would suspect that these sound amazing.
At $6,500 each, they really need to.

http://www.beststuff.com/blog/2011/08/24/krell-unveils-its-first-architectural-speaker-modulari-ion.html

The CEDIA trade show doesn't take place for a couple of weeks, but several companies are already releasing information on some not-to-be-missed products, particularly in the custom installation market. Case in point: the Modulari Ion speaker from Krell. Krell's first architectural speaker, it brings audiophile grade sound to flat panel TV installations, delivering a level of performance that has not existed in the architectural market - until now.

Krell worked with Leon Speakers on the Modulari Ion's design, combining Leon's mechanical and customization know-how with Krell's crossover design and driver integration. The result? A speaker that is unique in the flat panel TV market.

The Modulari Ion holds the same design principles found in the Modulari series, such as acoustically inert low-diffraction cabinetry, high-power low-distortion crossovers, and high-performance drivers. The cabinets are made using 1" MDF and feature 3/4" billet Aluminum baffles, with the curvature designed to minimize the effects of internal standing waves. Asymmetrically aligned internal bracing also reduces internal resonant modes while increasing its rigidity.

The Modulari Ion uses the same drivers as the ones found in the Modulari Duo Reference loudspeaker. A 1" ScanSpeak ring radiator tweeter provides flat frequency response to 64kHz. Two 7" aluminum-cone ScanSpeak woofers provide low frequencies. A proprietary suspension and extended voice coil assure high power handling and extremely linear performance. The woofers are positioned forward of the tweeter achieving time alignment of the drivers.

In addition, all network components are mounted on 1/8-inch thick glass epoxy circuit boards with oversized 4-ounce copper traces. This minimizes circuit resistance and inductance for superior linearity. It also eliminates microphonics and assures high current handling capability.

Network inductors are all air-core pure-copper designs. Multiple individually potted polypropylene capacitors are used in parallel to minimize resistance and inductance while improving current handling.

This all works together to provide a unique listening experience from an architectural speaker.

Bill McKiegan, Krell President says it best, "Put the Modulari Ion speakers in a system with our music or home theater electronics, and you get sound that I can only describe as pure Krell—as explosive, delicate, and immediate as music itself."

Available in November 2011, the Krell Modulari Ion speakers have an MSRP of $ 6,500 each. You can find out more information on Krell at www.krellonline.com.

cory
08-29-2011, 10:20 AM
I've sat through a few Krell System Demo's and always feel like my ears are slightly bleeding when I walk out.