PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer PDP's

MikeTech
10-24-2006, 10:26 PM
I recently installed a Pioneer 5070 HD and thought it was great when I can't use the Fuji. So my boss wants to use them now and tells me that the dist. swears the 42" doesn't have a media rcvr. Their website says differently in plain type. So whats the deal? Can anyone give me a definitive answer?
I'm figuring the dist. is just telling him what we want to hear.
TIA
Mike

OEX
10-24-2006, 10:59 PM
i have switched to specing these too when fuji is out of the question. the 4270 has no media box and looks decent. I wish the speakers were removable though.

MikeTech
10-24-2006, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Kevin. That does suck about the speaker, but at that price i can deal with it. Its worth the trade off of no more media box. Its odd how they dont keep consistency throughout the lineup with detachable speakers though. I guess anything to save a buck.

djnorm
10-25-2006, 06:37 AM
They have gotten rid of the Media Center on all of their Plasmas. I just had to deliver my last PRO-1130HD to someone who had had the DVI/MDR installed at rough, and then took FOREVER to get their loft finished. (Originally speced an 1110 (!))

Fastfred
10-25-2006, 07:43 AM
What about the Pioneer Pro series? No tuners, no media boxes, uses an external card if you want to run anything other then a dvi or vga into in, available in 42" and 50" sizes.

lonny
10-25-2006, 08:38 AM
Mike,
Pioneer has always been our goto plasma. They are great to work with. Esp bc they have discrete inputs.
THe biggest problem i have with the new 42 is like you mentioned the speaker detacthing. I would be great if it was able to come off, i dont get why on the 50 you can but not on the 42.

Lonny

idodishez
10-25-2006, 09:32 PM
What about the Pioneer Pro series? No tuners, no media boxes, uses an external card if you want to run anything other then a dvi or vga into in, available in 42" and 50" sizes.

Are you saying you sell these? Im open to Pioneer, and w your and Kevins suggestions, it sounds like a good choice when Fuji wont fly. It seems like I always had the same problem w Pioneer that I have w the others though. if I CAN find them without going direct, they are usually commercial versions. In his case that might not be a bad thing. however, if I can get them from you, Id much rather do that.

tomciara
10-25-2006, 11:30 PM
What issues does a commercial version bring up for you??

idodishez
10-25-2006, 11:56 PM
Example, one of the upcoming proposals needs 3 42" PDP's, and none of them will have an AVR, surround, etc. So I will likely end up short on inputs, etc. (HD, DVD, X-box, etc)

And the price sheet I just got today from VS shows the commercial versions being more $ than the residential versions. Isnt it usually the oher way around?

Fastfred
10-26-2006, 07:51 AM
Example, one of the upcoming proposals needs 3 42" PDP's, and none of them will have an AVR, surround, etc. So I will likely end up short on inputs, etc. (HD, DVD, X-box, etc)

That's why you'll end up installing the Key Digital kd-pc2 card. Here's a link to it's predecessor...http://www.keydigital.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;PRODUCTS_NO_TREE?cat=DVP?comp any=KEY

And the price sheet I just got today from VS shows the commercial versions being more $ than the residential versions. Isnt it usually the oher way around?

Don't know about pricing. With the Key card, I'd suggest marketing this as better then, rather then cheaper. But I'd recommend that approach for everything....

Finally, in answer to an early ?, yes.

Darren
10-26-2006, 01:56 PM
Where are you guy's getting the Pioneer PDP's? I met with a client today who has a 50" Pioneer in a den and would like the same in their Bar Area.

Fastfred
10-26-2006, 02:23 PM
My favorite supplier carries the commercial Pioneers.

AudibleSolutions
10-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Has your supplier told everyone that you sell Runcos without the fancy bezel and logo? Have you informed them that your Runcos are much less money?

Alan

Fastfred
10-27-2006, 02:00 PM
No, they haven't, in part because I've never been real good at talking about things that I don't know to be true. This is the first I've heard about the Runco. Not disputing the report, mind you.

AudibleSolutions
10-27-2006, 03:53 PM
You also sell the Xplore card, n'est pas? You might want to give Michael Lechter a call. Might be good for business of selling both the Xplore and the 505CMX or 425 CMX; not that I would think of telling you how to sell.

Alan

Fastfred
10-27-2006, 04:07 PM
Mais Oui, Mon Frer.

ATOH
10-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Fred, since when have you been selling this display? We use it all the time, I never knew! I've heard and have seen other manufacturers from you but never the CMX series. Can we still get free shipping if we order it through the website? :p

OEX
10-27-2006, 07:44 PM
does anyone know did the explorer card have a drastic price cut? almost half. im looking at 600 retail. is this right or a different version?

ATOH
10-27-2006, 08:57 PM
That's about right. Great value for the money don't you think?

For everyone scrambling for displays, why don't you use these? They look great, the expansion card option is awesome, and no retailer sells them.

I know, I know, it doesn't have a tuner. I could care less about the tuner in the display. We always use stand alone tuners (cable or sat boxes) so it's a non-issue anyway.

Yes, they don't make smaller panels (20-37) but we use the Samsungs for those and you can get them @ AVAD. The Samsung LCDs look good IMO, well, for an LCD at least. :rolleyes:

Darren
10-27-2006, 10:08 PM
Fred, since when have you been selling this display? We use it all the time, I never knew! I've heard and have seen other manufacturers from you but never the CMX series. Can we still get free shipping if we order it through the website? :p

Guess I'm outta the loop. Is Fred a distributor?

ATOH
10-27-2006, 10:14 PM
Fred is THE MAN @ Capital Sales. Although Holden holds a close 2nd... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AudibleSolutions
10-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Yes, they don't make smaller panels (20-37) but we use the Samsungs for those and you can get them @ AVAD. The Samsung LCDs look good IMO, well, for an LCD at least. :rolleyes:

I've always found Samsung to be among the worst looking sets I've ever seen out of the box, especially the LCDs. The DLP's can be tamed but one can only do so much with the LCDs. Sure, all LCDs have weird gamma curves but at least with the LG you can bring it close to D6500K. The samsungs, despite being able to get into setup mode and make things much better ( and if you leave them unmodified out of the box they are among the worst looking sets ever manufactured unless you like no detail, white levels clipped and black levels crushed to the point that you lose 30% of your picture detail. And they do jump off of the shelves which says what about the purchasing knowledge of Mr. and Mrs. Red State?)

Put a Samsung next to an LG and it's like putting Angelina Jolie next to Kiersten Dunst. Ultimately it doesn't matter, I agree. Good or bad picture as long as there is a picture you will collect the check and, no tongue in cheek meant, that is all that ultimately matters. If any of you ever saw what the biggest of the CI firms installed in people's homes you might get my point. These firms are salons without the showroom and just as ignorant or just as technically incompetent. They are sales driven not engineering driven and their installations prove it. Sell products, the more expensive the better and damned the setup or appropriateness of that product choice. I'd like to think that we are different here but perhaps it's the big firms who get it and I do not.

Alan

Theaterworks
10-28-2006, 11:37 AM
Put a Samsung next to an LG and it's like putting Angelina Jolie next to Kiersten Dunst.

Alan

Now, that sounds like it could be lots of fun.

MikeTech
10-28-2006, 02:56 PM
If any of you ever saw what the biggest of the CI firms installed in people's homes you might get my point. These firms are salons without the showroom and just as ignorant or just as technically incompetent. They are sales driven not engineering driven and their installations prove it. Sell products, the more expensive the better and damned the setup or appropriateness of that product choice. I'd like to think that we are different here but perhaps it's the big firms who get it and I do not.

Alan

Alan - Your quote is EXACTLY what i found at the house i had spoke to you about awhile back. Tons of very expensive top of the line gear. But to quote the installer, "This crap is way too unreliable." Funny stuff.

Mike

Darren
10-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Now, that sounds like it could be lots of fun.

Hummm.... yeah.. I like that a lot! But I would chose Angelina she has a better lookin' chassis and "to die for" lips!

MikeTech
10-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Hummm.... yeah.. I like that a lot! But I would chose Angelina she has a better lookin' chassis and "to die for" lips!

Not even a contest, Angelina By a landslide!

ATOH
10-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Alan, you very well may be right, but to get LG is way more work than I believe we should spend sourcing equipment. Samsungs are available, and with some adjustments look good, especially for our middle class clients.

Now, if we're talking plasmas from Samsung, I would definitely pass. I don't think they look good at all.

Like you said, it's repeatable processes that bring you to receiving a check. Everyone we've sold one to loves it, especially for the smooth gloss black finish and no speaker grills, and the picture is acceptable.

Personally, I hate LCDs for the most part, I always see the ghosting on fast moving scenes and they are always too bright and washed out. Not just the Samsungs, but pretty much all LCDs.

Oh yeah, Radio Shack sells LG LCD panels. The further I can get away from things that major retailers sell the better. We only use the 50 and 90 series LCDs from Samsung.

I'd take Fergie or any of the Pussycat Dolls over either of them! :rolleyes:

Fastfred
10-30-2006, 07:46 AM
does anyone know did the explorer card have a drastic price cut? almost half. im looking at 600 retail. is this right or a different version?

There will be a new version of that card called the KD-PC2. Waiting for first shipment; expect it by the end of November. Cost is lower, but 600 retail seems like you are cutting into your margin. You'd still make money, mind you.

Fastfred
10-30-2006, 07:48 AM

We've carried the product for a couple of months. Signed the line at CEDIA or thereabouts.

Free shipping on plasmas is at $3000 to your business address. Online catalog orders are freight paid if they ship regular UPS to your business address.

COMediaSys
11-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Fred,

Does "your favorite distributor" carry the Xplore card? I looked on the website and didn't see it.

If you do, what are the dealer cost and the MSRP?

eos
11-11-2006, 02:17 PM
I had been a NEC and Fujitsu diehard for many years, these new '70 series Pioneer sets are extraordinary picture wise. The SD image is on par with the Fujitsu. I just can't seem to justify spending the $1500 to $2000 more for the NEC.

Not to hijack, but a customer of mine decided yesterday if he could use the speaker that comes with the 5070 for his center speaker. I was planning to install the Speakercraft AIM 7's for all the speakers with the Denon 2307, I did explain the imaging problems and tone inequalities if I did. The question is: Have any of you done that(on a similar set) and how long till the speaker failed or is it still working?

Harmony Home Technologies
11-26-2006, 10:40 PM
There will be a new version of that card called the KD-PC2. Waiting for first shipment; expect it by the end of November.
Reply moved to Verified section.