PDA

View Full Version : Sony announces 'Crystal LED' flat panel technology

2ndRick
01-10-2012, 08:52 PM
http://www.techradar.com/news/television/sony-introduces-crystal-led-technology-1053246

Sony has announced a new prototype display technology called Crystal LED that it hopes will prove to be the next step in image quality for consumers.

Taking on the likes of Samsung and LG, both of which have unveiled 55-inch OELD TVs at CES, Sony's 55-inch prototype uses millions of tiny LEDs to act as pixels and offers a Full HD self emitting display.

The light source is mounted directly onto the front of the television in a red-green-blue formation. This method apparently 'dramatically improves the light use efficiency and offers higher contrast ratios, wider colour gamut and high refresh rates and response time when compared with current LCD and plasma displays.

Bright as a button
The full HD screen uses over six million LEDs, packed into a tightly designed space, and can produce 400 nits of brightness, which is comparable with OLED displays of the moment.

Intriguingly, Sony added this new technology was "parallel to its continued development and commercialization of OLED displays, and Sony will work conscientiously to bring the "Crystal LED Display" to market."

We've yet to find out the juicy information such as when we'll see the technology in use or whether it will cost the earth, but Sony better get a wriggle on before Samsung and LG's OLED TVs start to gain traction in the market.

2ndRick
01-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Brighter, faster response and refresh, and wider color gamut.

Sounds like a winner.

Another article mentioned the high efficiency of the new technology. I will see if I can find that statement again and add the specifics to this thread.

CCD
01-10-2012, 10:14 PM
I wonder if they suffer from "red fade" like the OLED sets do?

2ndRick
01-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Remember when the term on the sales floor was 'blue push'??

I would love to see a well-written and fair comparison between all of these new technologies up against the better plasmas and LED sets of today (and yesterday, get a Kuro Elite and a Fujitsu Aviamo)

MikeZTC
01-10-2012, 11:07 PM
What happened to SED?!?

2ndRick
01-10-2012, 11:23 PM
THANK YOU!!
I was trying to remember what those Toshiba 'sets of the future' were called.

That had to have been 2007 or so, because I was still at AVAD when I saw reports on those sets.

TedW
01-11-2012, 06:46 AM
What happened to SED?!?

I don't know how many reps told me that SED was THE future and would own everything within ten years. Whoops.