PDA

View Full Version : Russound Problem...Please Help

olysan
03-19-2005, 07:42 AM
I'm bidding a high end home theater for a customer who has a Russound distributed audio system (installed by others). If I could solve this problem I'd really be in the drivers seat for the theater. He describes it like this:
The system (cav6.6 I believe) worked fine for a while. At some point one of the keypads locked up and would not switch from CD to tuner. Each time another keypad was used it would also lockup, until the entire system was unusable. He replaced the original receiver, and the system worked for a while, but now it is doing the exact same thing.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is there a known issue with the cav6.6, or could this be an install problem?

Regards
Mike

Shadowman68
03-19-2005, 12:41 PM
Does it say anything on the UNO, or does the screen go blank?
The only problem I can recall with the CAV was it had a bad habit of catching on fire when using the Trigger out for home theatre. That was solved quite quickly.
Can you supply more info on the Russound? It could be something as simple as all the keypads being in DND mode but I doubt it. I would guess its an install and or programming error. But I need more information.

sirroundsound
03-19-2005, 02:40 PM
I would be inclined to check the wires, I don't deal with Russound, but have had experinces in the past with keypad systems having trouble because of one bad keypad or keypad connection. Because someone else did the work you are at the mercy of their wires. I would also go on line to russounds web site, see if I could download a manual, make sure the last company actually installed everything correct. I was trouble shooting a job years ago, keypad music system, took me hours to realise they had 9 keypads hooked up to an 8 zone system, and one of the keypads was causing an addressing issue with the main unit, every time they used that keypad the system would eventually lock up. I also believe Russound is control and amplifiers in one box, a pair of speakers shorting could shut the amps down? possibly?

Kelly
03-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Pretty sure you're dealing with a wiring issue in this case.

CAV6.6 will lock up if one keypad is mis-wired at the very instant that particular mis-wired zone keypad is enabled.

jonzey
03-19-2005, 07:47 PM
I agree with Kelly. Check your connections too. I have had a system do the exact same thing to me and it was a miswiring of the patch cord from wall jack to the unit

PAAI
03-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Pull all of the keypads out of the CAV.Step one- plug one in at a time and run each of them thru the full button press frenzy. Step two would be plug in the next keypad. This should take at most 1/2 hr and you can be the hero.
One possibility :You may find a exposed wire is touching the back circuit board when pressure is placed on the face.

SysDsgnMan
03-19-2005, 09:00 PM
Yes, first check that all of the keypads are wired correctly (checking all connection points. Secondly, do not forget to check the firmware. The CAV-6.6 should be using 2.00.01 and the keypads should be using 3.00.01. To check the CAV's firmware, power the CAV off from the front switch. When you power the system on, all UNO keypads should state the CAV's firmware version on the screen as the system boots. To check the keypads, remove the cover plate, and look for the button on the upper right. Push and hold it for about 6-7 seconds until "diagnostics" appears on the UNO. Use the track skip button to toggle thru until you see version. Hit the play button, and it should display the UNO's firmware version. It is very important that this be done, especially if the customer is using Russound's Tuners (ST-2) or Music Server (SMS-3). Without the right firmware, they will not receive feedback data from the sources.

Andy

Gary
03-22-2005, 10:35 PM
olysan, did you resolve this problem?

Good to see a fellow show me stater on this board.

olysan
03-23-2005, 06:56 AM
Hey Gary,

Made the offer to help, but hasn't been accepted yet.

Regards
Mike

ejfiii
03-23-2005, 10:01 AM
FWIW I have better luck doing this keypad wiring troubleshooting in with the rack and using a 5 foot (or so) cat 5 cable. Just bring the keypads near the rack and hook them all up there - this will eliminate the wiring in the walls as an issue and also your running around the house.

Good luck.

olysan
03-23-2005, 04:24 PM
I'm not only a show me stater, but a Mizzou grad as well!

Gary
03-23-2005, 10:24 PM
I'm not only a show me stater, but a Mizzou grad as well!

If you're ever up for a football game, stop by our tailgate.