PDA

View Full Version : Software for creating bitmaps

Greg_C
03-19-2005, 11:27 AM
What is everybody using to create custom bitmaps for MX-3000 or Prontos. I am looking to create buttons that are not just rectangular, or have the background be transparent so that the object doen't have a white background.

Gary
03-19-2005, 12:13 PM
I gave up on trying to create my own UIs, although I know just what I want, I'm not talented enough to get there.

So about 7 months ago I became a GuiFx VIP member and it has saved me a ton of time and my panels look great.

They have two good looking templates for the MX-3000 and at $100 each there cheap.

http://www.guifx.com/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=4ca3c2e92be5870d06fac0fe16c5f631

ejfiii
03-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Thats pretty cool Gary. What does a VIP membership get you?

TIA

AudibleSolutions
03-19-2005, 11:04 PM
It must be because I am so contrarian but there is something about GUIFX that rubs me wrong. I do not love their designs but big deal. They are ok and the few that have come into the public domain such as the Tivo design, are appealing to clients --so much for my opinion. But I really dislike how some of their competitors have wound up on their site. I do need to get off my ample rear and purchase some other's design and I was about to go with GUIWRX and they wind up on GUIFX.

Here is what I have done. I do play with Photoshop and try to modify things. My sister is a big shot in advertising in Lexington, KY for the horse industry so I ask her staff of graphic artists to modify or come up with anything beyond my abilities. Oh, and I pay for this--don't know how much this time as I needed some of the TPMC-10 screens modified.

I do think you need to differentiate yourself from some others and GUI is probably the best way to do so. I am told that high schools are full of talented kids with oodles of knowledge about Photoshop and other graphics programs. They probably have zero design skills but if you ask for x you will get x and it may not cost all that much.

Of course, one could simply date a graphic artists and solve the problem for at least as long as the relationship lasts.

Alan

Greg_C
03-19-2005, 11:47 PM
IOf course, one could simply date a graphic artists and solve the problem for at least as long as the relationship lasts.

Alan

My wife may have a small problem with that senario! 8O

Gary
03-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Thats pretty cool Gary. What does a VIP membership get you?

TIA

It cost $1200 a year, paid quarterly. You get one free template a month (well not free, it cost $100) and you get any other template for half price.

The8thst
03-20-2005, 06:14 PM
I can second the suggestion to dating someone in the advertising field (or marry one in my case) I have gotten plenty of help from their interactive department, but I also have provided help to them at one time or another as well.

There are a large number of books on photoshop and illustrator (both adobe products) and if you become even a little bit adept with both of these programs you can create just about anything you can dream up.
The Adobe Classroom in a book series makes it very easy and relatively quick to learn the fundamentals of these programs in a decent amount of time.

The other suggestion I have is to look for small independant web design firms. Around here I am friends with people just starting these companies or doing web design on the side. There should be plenty of them in your area as well. Some of the most tallented I have come across have been heavily involved in local music scenes designing $500-$1000 websites for bands. Most will happily design a few buttons or panel graphics for cheap if you can expain what you want and give them bit-depth and resolutions you need.