PDA

View Full Version : Wireless for 20,000 ft2

Toronto122
03-21-2005, 10:25 AM
Ok, what's the best wireless router you guys have used. I need to get wireless connectivity throughout the whole place, and I'm concerned that the client is going to walk everywhere with touch panels.

I'm using Linksys right now, is there anything better?

Thanks!!

AudibleSolutions
03-21-2005, 10:38 AM
I don't care what access point you use one will not cover an area that large. I would suggest not using a router with built in access point but a stand alone router and separate access point(s). Now you will need to make some choices. You can use repeaters which increase signal strength at the cost of speed or additional access points. The Victoria's Secret job requred 3 access points and I think we will require an additional 2 in the home's "wings." They are outside the original foundation which is stone and the new foundation is concrete. 2.4 gig does not like really solid structures and rebar.

I would think about placing the access point in the middle of the house and then 2 in the attic far left and far right. Hopefully you have wire or can run wire. You may also wish to use high gain antennas but this only adds an extra 10 or 20 per cent which can get you past threshold but will not take a horrible situation and make it great. Think of DBS satellite dishes. Going from 1m to 2m makes a difference but does not remove all issues. Multiple access points with the same SSID and channel are supposed to be seemless and pass the user from one access point to an other without his having to reconnect. We shall see.

Alan

vette84
03-21-2005, 11:19 AM
I second that.

Keep in mind that most access points are designed to throw a signal about 300' away. High gain antennas help push the limit farther, but not by much.
I live in a house that is only 2000 sq/ft, but I need two access points to get whole house coverage because the house is long and skinny.
If running cable for access points is not an option, look into D-Link Air Premier (or other higher end brands), they have access points that can work in point-to-multipoint mode, so each bridge only needs power to extend the signal (You will have to use more access points in this configuration, though.)

McKlepto
03-24-2005, 10:54 AM
Cisco 1200 AP's are very reliable and I have had very good luck with them. I have Installed them in 50,000sf+ buildings and very, very rarely they need a reboot (which can be done via web interface) The security on them is the best in the industry. I would say that if this is a business (I would assume at 20,000 sqf) security should be of extreme importance. You will have to run a CAT5 to each AP location, however you can purchase power injectors for this model and send the power over the CAT5 as well. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't reccomend anything else to a business. Cisco products cost more than Linksys (which is now owned by Cisco) but they are better built products and made for commercial. Since the reliability is so good I also install them in my houses. Hope this helps! Also, when you are roaming throughout the building you hop from AP to AP seemlessly, others (D-link, Linksys) don't do it quite so well.

Just my $0.52 :)

Greg_C
03-25-2005, 10:43 AM
So where do you get your Cisco products from? I've got some customers who wand to have VPN's set up at their house so they can work at home.