PDA

View Full Version : What's in your box?

AHEM
03-21-2005, 06:42 PM
For the love of God, would somebody post something? It's been like two days now!

Ok, I'm jump start the board. What's in your tools box?

Here's my list: (actually I carry 2 and here's the contents)

Screwdrivers.......

(2) Klein #2 Phillips One short one, one long one
(1) Klein #1 Flat Head
(1) "Mr. Ratchet" (Latshaw Tools) Ratcheting Driver with assortment of tips
(1) Stanley precision screwdriver set

Wrenches & Sockets

(2) Klein folding sets (standard and metric)
(1) Craftsman "Crescent" type adjustable
(1) Cheapy 1/4" and 3/8" socket set

Hammer

(1) Estwing 16oz. claw (I've had my eyes on a Klein electrician's model, any comments)

Pliers

(1) Stanley slip joint
(1) Ideal Lineman's pliers
(1) Craftsmen precision plier set

Strippers/Crimpers/Cutters

(2) Snap seal pliers for BNC, RCA and F connectors
(1) Klein Multipurpose strip/crimp tool
(1) Klein Crimper
(1) Ideal "Stripmaster"
(1) Unknown Brand Standard Paper Scissors
(1) Stanley FatMax Utility Knife
(2) Radio Shack and Dynaflex coaxial cable cutters
(1) Ideal Data "T" Cutter

Measuring

(1) Stanley FatMax 30' Powerlock Tape Measure

Staplers

(1) Arrow T-25
(1) Arrow T-37

(with extra staples)

Electronics

(1) Fluke VOM (107 or 109 I can't recall the model)
(1) Ideal Datamaster twisted pair testing set
(1) Testum Toner and Probe
(1) GB receptacle polarity tester
(1) Dymo 3000 labeler
(1) Radio Shack SPL meter
(1) Harris TS44 Butt Set
(1) Cheapo Tenma Soldering Iron with stand, solder & tip cleaner

Misc

(1) Compass
Assorted Screwdriver Bits
(1) Dewalt twist bit set
(1) Irwin spade bit set
(1) 110 block punch tool
(1) 66 block punch tool

OEX
03-21-2005, 07:47 PM
WTF Are you that bored?

If so, mosey your ass to NJ and pull some wires!

AHEM
03-21-2005, 08:17 PM
oh but I'm not bored for work, I'm bored for intellectual stimuli

The8thst
03-21-2005, 08:30 PM
How many mouse power equal one horse power?

AHEM
03-21-2005, 08:49 PM
That depends upon the size of the mice and the size of the horse.

The8thst
03-21-2005, 08:57 PM
Believe it or not, there is actually a standard measurement called a mouse power.
I'm thinking of rebranding some table saws and shop vacs and rate the motor in mousepower instead of hourse power... they would seem much more impressive.

AHEM
03-21-2005, 09:01 PM
Would that be the equivilant of total watts versus RMS watts?

Shadowman68
03-21-2005, 09:11 PM
Thats funny. After the day I had I needed a good laugh.
I got a flat tire today, was out changing it when some guy went flying by at mach asshole, he went right through a puddle and the resulting wave of muddy water completely soaked me to the skin. In the aftermath of curseing his mother and her inbred children, I knocked my cell phone off my belt and into the same puddle, ruining it. Unfortunately I was on my way to a meeting, needless to say my appearance was cause for a laugh. At least they believed my story.

I like Klein screwdrivers as well, they are the only ones I have seen so far with the robbie or philips or slot diagram on the end, so you dont have to go by color anymore or search through your pouch.
I have klein strippers as well, not too big on those, although they are better than some I have tried. I will probably end up with some new snap-on units.
Other than that, the list is pretty much the same. Toner, spl meter, no fluke though.
I wouldnt mind trying out the Testum Validator, Anyone using that?

ejfiii
03-21-2005, 10:34 PM
We all have the same basic tools in our boxes. But I got a new toy/tool that I am sure you all have seen, but I just found.

http://www.paladin-tools.com/rouncabslit1.html

http://www.hmcelectronics.com/cat/ss/6800-0023.jpg

Great for bundled coax, 4 conductor speaker wire etc...

Enjoy.

w_home-tech
03-22-2005, 12:08 AM
I read somewhere that one horse puts out 17 horsepower.

How many mousepower does a mouse put out?

The8thst
03-22-2005, 07:12 AM
I have a few klein screwdrivers, a klein crimper and klein side cutter.
2 weller soldering torches... the usual.
A Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver with a variety of bits in the handle.
The same old stuff....
I used to work on cars all day, so I got used to having my full toolbox and huge compliment of Snap-On tools with a specialized tool for everything. I keep trying to trim down what I carry around with me all the time in homes.... I still need to cut out a few more.

One horsepower = 195,000 mousepower
Now you know why a 2hp shopvac would seem so much more impressive.

OEX
03-22-2005, 08:19 AM
Back when I was younger I could handle at least 3 whore's power at once

Jerry
03-22-2005, 08:43 AM
toolbox, Hmm, the one tool I keep forgetting is the 1/5 of Rum.

Gary
03-22-2005, 10:12 PM
Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver with a variety of bits in the handle.

You must have a 12 volt background, all ex-car stereo installers have that trusty Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver.

ejfiii
03-22-2005, 10:14 PM
Funny as my background is boats and I have had one for 10+ years. Love it. Still have the red plastic case too.

The8thst
03-23-2005, 07:28 AM

You must have a 12 volt background, all ex-car stereo installers have that trusty Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver.

You caught me, at least I stopped carrying my 4 piece pick set around with now. :)
I have lost less tools in houses than in cars though, so that is always a plus.

Let me guess, you were the guy with the double bay full size bright blue $20,000 snap-on tool chest, weren't you?

djnorm
03-24-2005, 11:18 PM
My college radio station used to say 10,000 milliwatts instead of 10 watts...

Caffeinated
05-24-2005, 07:47 PM
You must have a 12 volt background, all ex-car stereo installers have that trusty Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver.[/quote]

LOL very true - I've noticed that as well!!

My FAVORITE tools (currently) are :

Makita right angle drill

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000789HO/qid=1116981786/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl60/002-2804748-0296022?v=glance&s=home-garden&n=507846

Makita Impact driver

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007DFWWG/qid=1116981853/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/002-2804748-0296022?v=glance&s=hi

and Test-um turbo toner

http://www.test-um.com/product_detail.asp?itemno=TG200

also the Test-um ethernet tester

vwpower44
05-29-2005, 07:17 PM
My FAVORITE tools (currently) are :

Makita right angle drill

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000789HO/qid=1116981786/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl60/002-2804748-0296022?v=glance&s=home-garden&n=507846

Makita 9.7v Wireless Right Angle Drill
I use the wireless 9.7v makita right angle. It is by far, my favorite tool. It is soo small, and you can get it almost anywhere. It does lack some power, but I like it more because it is so compact.

BLACK AND DECKER Jig/scroll saw
this is another favorite. i picked it up for 19.95 at a black and decker outlet. It has the scrollling capabilities, angle adjustments, and a VACUM built in. We use this mostly for cutting the backs out of armoires and entertainment centers, or other cabinetry. It works awesome.
http://www.blackanddecker.com/productguide/ProductDetail.aspx?PID=6239&RHID=722&P=ProductDetail.aspx&ATT=AttachmentDetail.aspx&ACC=AccessoryDetail.aspx&ACS=AccessoySet.aspx&R=ProductListByType.aspx

Mike

djnorm
05-29-2005, 09:22 PM
We use a Bosch in-line Jig saw (think sawzall, but with jig-saw size and blades). They discontinued them, and we went all around the area buying all of them we could find... We have something like six of them, and rotate them in and out of service as they break.

If you ever see one, pick it up... You'll be glad you did...

RobbieS
05-30-2005, 03:04 PM
The roto-zip is our best friend. It gets broken out of it's case almost daily.

vwpower44
05-30-2005, 03:51 PM
the roto zip is a valuable tool.

Mike

mattwhitehcha
07-24-2005, 01:09 PM
thinkin about getting a rotozip. home depot has the whole set on clearence for $100 with the circle cutter and everything. does it have better control than a dremel does when cutting through rock?

ejfiii
07-24-2005, 01:15 PM
I just can't figure out what you guys who use your rotozips do with the dust?

I could never use mine in a retro job because of all the dust. Maybe I'm missing something.

And yes, I would get the better one with variable speed. And yes, I like it a ton more than any dremel I have ever had.

mr2channel
07-24-2005, 02:58 PM

I could never use mine in a retro job because of all the dust. Maybe I'm missing something.

And yes, I would get the better one with variable speed. And yes, I like it a ton more than any dremel I have ever had.

I use the shop vac attachment, and a shop vac w/a HEPA filter and you could run a white glove test when I am done and not even notice, key is to keep the shop vac empty and knock out the filter after every use. and oh yeah incase it was not obvious, use the sheetrock bits and not the wood cutting bits.

RobbieS
07-24-2005, 03:11 PM

I use the shop vac attachment, and a shop vac w/a HEPA filter and you could run a white glove test when I am done and not even notice, key is to keep the shop vac empty and knock out the filter after every use. and oh yeah incase it was not obvious, use the sheetrock bits and not the wood cutting bits.

We do the same with the exception that we also use a drywall bag in our shopvac. I love my rotozip. I literally wore the first one out I used it so much.

Kelly
07-24-2005, 08:12 PM
Confirm the RotoZip...

I have the kit which has the right angle head and that also gets a lot of use.

I even use my RotoZip to sharpen my 2+" self feed bits. It does a great job at that too....

ATOH
07-25-2005, 01:23 PM

You caught me, at least I stopped carrying my 4 piece pick set around with now. :)
I have lost less tools in houses than in cars though, so that is always a plus.

Let me guess, you were the guy with the double bay full size bright blue $20,000 snap-on tool chest, weren't you?

Why did you quit carrying the pick set? This is the most invaluable tool over made... I still carry a whole set, although all I ever use is the right angle and the straight. I also carry a SKEW driver. Much better than buying a small right angle drill in my opinion.