PDA

View Full Version : CRT Projectors

lowvoltguy
03-21-2005, 10:31 PM
What is everyone using? ... We are Runco dealers, but I've never sold a CRT projector ... I'll admit, I'm a little lost when it comes to CRT projectors ... I've seen some SMOKING jobs we've done (before I came on board with my current company) ... Help me to understand this art form ... ???

sirroundsound
03-21-2005, 10:57 PM
Not alot left in the world of CRT's . Over the many years, I have installed Zenith, Videkron, Mitsubishi, Electrohome and Sony. They take alot of effort to set up, it's a skill to do it well. But once done, even with all the wonderful new tech out there, most people still agree that CRT projectors (good ones) are very hard to beat for picture quality. They need a proper room (dark) and the right screen. Would I continue to do them, no, the market for CRT's has gone, very few companies still offer them, which means over time even less support for them. Most consumers have had LCD, DLP, or Dila shoved in front of them. THese projector technologies work fine for their price ranges , they are smaller and less obtrusive in the rooms they are being installed in. They are quieter, and require less service. OK replacing a bulb is service, but it's easy to do. And good quality versions offer great pictures.

LarryFine
03-22-2005, 06:53 PM
I use one in my own room, an Electrohome Marquee 8501. I wouldn't take a digital for it ever. There's a thriving CRT community over at the AVS Forum, and that's not the only one.

sirroundsound
03-22-2005, 07:27 PM
I didn't say there were not any people at all that might want CRT, just that the general masses have now had enough exposure to LCD/DLP and DILA that the thought of having one of those very large machines doesn't usually get past the wife. Plus they have been led to believe that the technology has come far enough that there isn't any reason to concider CRT. I am sure there are lots of people in forums about CRT's , there are also lots in forums for turntables and various other things that have been taken over by newer tech.

lowvoltguy
03-22-2005, 09:53 PM
Seems to me CRT is a videophile thing ... Nothing wrong with that ... Brad ... ISF guys ... Please chime in ... I would love to be more up on this subject ...

lowvoltguy ... AKA ... seeker of knowledge ... :D

Ghost
03-24-2005, 10:51 AM
Yes, CRT is still King.
But... your going to be hard pressed to find a customer that would still want it... If you do have a customer that wants it for what it is, can you (or know sombody who can) go thru the many, many hours of tweaking these old analog things require to bring them to their Nirvana!

I have a CRT RPTV that I use for my system, bought this newest one just a year ago (many hours of tweaking and modifying). Can any digital display out there touch its picture quailty, hell no. But how many customers want this huge thing in their house, the cost being about the same as a digital if they have all these same tweaks done, and the annual visits to keep it that way.

One word on the front projection - if you have a customer that's a videophile and absolutely wants a CRT front projection, there're are a few things to be aware of.
(1) Obviously light output is very poor, so complete & utter control of room lighting is critical. You'll also need to use a screen with gain, it's critical to get the gain matched properly for the size screen and projector being used (actually this is critical for digital front projection too, actually: most everything in this applies to digital as well except the high gain screen, but screen gain [.8, .85, .9, .97, 1.0, ect...] and choice is still critical for them too).
(2) more on screen - if it's going to be a videophile installation, your screen choice is critical. Use a real screen (no color shifting, hot spotting, ect..). This means those Vutech crap is out (sorry for the hard truth guys). Usually for around a 80" diag. approx. screen and a 8"-9" Gun projector, something with a 1.3 gain works good (Stewart & Da-lite are the usual suspects, with Stewart being famous for it Studio-tek screen with this gain). Again, depending on the projector, room, screen size, ect...
(3) The room. Again if this is going to be a videophile installation, the color of the room itself is another factor. Use darker, light absorbing materials (NO GLOSS paints, or bright colors that aren't neutral). Light reflecting off the screen, hitting objects that reflect light back onto the screen again, is BAD; especially if they're color. Black matte drapes do great, but then if used everywhere can make the sound of a room way to dead.
(4) If it hasn't already been mentioned - these are an utter bitch to tweak. Prepare to spend many hours adjusting and calibrating, there are so many adjustments (per gun). A lot (depending on the projector) require adjustments on the circuit boards.

(edit:) If you don't know what your doing on any projection TV (Front or Rear) its not a good idea to mess with controls on the circuit board. Many of these adjustments can be turned to a point that will destroy a display. Then repair will be needed. There are a few adjustments in a service menu that can destroy a display also if moved to far, but not near as likely as turning knobs on a circuit board, which can be guaranteed to damage if turned to far on some sets.

Scottedge
03-24-2005, 11:17 AM
thanks brad

lowvoltguy
03-24-2005, 10:07 PM
Brad ... I'd like to see a new forum for you and other ISF guys to help tweak video ... What do you think???

Fastfred
03-25-2005, 09:03 AM
I remember laying on my back on a scafold doing the michealangelo thing, mag light in my mouth, using a set of nylon drivers to calibrate the old HK three gun projectors.

There were 31 trim pots, and each would influence the others.

You'd have dots on the screen as well as graphing.

By no means a high end projector, it generally took me about 8 hours to get the thing nailed down.