PDA

View Full Version : Hotels at Cedia...

sirroundsound
03-24-2005, 03:58 PM
Anyone here have any secrets for how to get a couple of rooms that are actually close to the dome?? Last year we tried, even if I called the hotels direct they didn't have any rooms available, so I waited till the day that was posted on Cedia's web site, office manager was on the phone the moment the lines were open, and, suprise they didn't have any rooms left near the dome. WTF, within 1/2 a minute all the good rooms were gone???
I'm sure they weren't, but had already been allocated to all the big guns out there. Anyone with any ideas, I'm tired of having to lug around stuff all day, and dragging it with me to dinner every night, want to be able to go back to a room and put my feet up without it taking 2 hours to get there and back. (I'm getting old)

MikeCAT
03-24-2005, 04:10 PM
I've actually found it cheaper to stay (way) outside of downtown and get a car. If you Priceline the hotel and car, you can find much cheaper rooms (with a few less amenities, of course) but also have a car for less than a room downtown. Also gives you the ability to "get away" when you've hit "industry overload" Last year I headed out to a few parks and such to just hang out and take a break.

The other option is a bed and breakfast. There are several downtown, and a vendor friend of mine had one last year, and she said the price was about the same as a downtown hotel room.

Mike

Greg_C
03-24-2005, 07:30 PM
I have stayed at a Days Inn just east of thei city at mile marker 89 on I-70. It's about $50.00 a night, but it's a clean quiet place, and only takes me about 12 min. to get to the dome. Parking across the street from the dome runs about $8.00/day, so it's not to bad.

The8thst
03-24-2005, 07:33 PM
I second the hotel just outside of downtown and rent a car. Thats the way we did it last year and it is really nice to be able to walk across the street to the ramp and put whatever you don't need in the car.

Kelly
03-25-2005, 09:30 AM
WTF, within 1/2 a minute all the good rooms were gone???
(I'm getting old)

Another fine example of how little the average member is thought of.

The prime rooms go to the CEDIA staff, those who are teaching classes, the myriad factory reps and finally the general membership.

Members are WELL down the list. And based on the latest email sent out, non-members best find a room in another state.....lol

I agree entirely with getting a room on the outskirts of town and renting a car. Dollar wise you'll probably come out ahead. And it's nice to be able to head out when you want to.

sirroundsound
03-25-2005, 01:07 PM
Thats the sad part, this trip is one of the perks my boss doesn't mind spending a little more on to make sure we are comfortable, we have been going for years, and both are tired of having to drive to the outskirts of town, we have found a great parking lot near the dome, nice cafe near by, but it would be nice for a change to just be able to walk to these things and know that I can wander back to my room for a break in the day if I wanted to.

Gary
03-26-2005, 11:13 PM
One of the best things about Indy is the fact that it's an easy town to get around by car.

We stay in the Druy Inn up north, free internet, free hot breakfast, decent clean rooms, $59 a night. It's also right next to one of the CEDIA hotels, so you can take the shuttles if you please.

I don't know if it's just me, but down town Indy smells just awful. I'm glad to out of there at the end of the day.

PAAI
03-27-2005, 08:05 AM
I have stayed north of the city and rode My bike for three years. This has worked well for me and I get a little exercise after sitting in class all day.
If you have almost been run over by a red Canondale, probably that was me.

Gary
03-27-2005, 10:31 AM
Maybe we should designate a hotel the "IP.com" hotel?

AHEM
03-27-2005, 12:09 PM

Can we throw water balloons out of the windows?

Anonymous
03-27-2005, 07:34 PM
I received an email from cedia about booking rooms on friday. it seems they are doing advanced booking downtown. Did anyone else receive this email

Gary
03-27-2005, 07:53 PM
I received an email from cedia about booking rooms on friday. it seems they are doing advanced booking downtown. Did anyone else receive this email

Yes.

sirroundsound
03-27-2005, 08:32 PM
Great can you book a couple for me, I didn't get an e-mail, maybe monday when I get in there will be a suprise, but I doubt it. Not only are we not big enough, we're in Canada, kinda like a double whammy. And to think we were Big winners last year, that should have counted for something.

Gary
03-27-2005, 10:16 PM

Can we throw water balloons out of the windows?

Why not :lol:

Gary
03-27-2005, 10:21 PM
OK I'm staying here- http://www.druryhotels.com/properties/indianapolis.cfm

For anyone else that wants to join me, there will aparently be water balloons.

Kelly
03-28-2005, 07:31 AM
Gary,

You sure about the HOT breakfast? The Drury website shows this as being one of the places that provides only a continental style breakfast (Quickstart as opposed to HOT Quickstart).

I've generally stayed at the Days Inn south of town since it does have a FULL breakfast buffet and is on the shuttle list.

Thinking of a change just because it's so dang far from anything else. No car and you're really out there....

sirroundsound
03-28-2005, 08:29 AM
Hey Gary, I actually got an e-mail about early booking of rooms too, but mine doesn't say anything about next friday, it's for May 13th (which is a friday) IS yours different?

Gary
03-28-2005, 09:25 PM
Gary,

You sure about the HOT breakfast? The Drury website shows this as being one of the places that provides only a continental style breakfast (Quickstart as opposed to HOT Quickstart).

I've generally stayed at the Days Inn south of town since it does have a FULL breakfast buffet and is on the shuttle list.

Thinking of a change just because it's so dang far from anything else. No car and you're really out there....

The Indy location is getting the hot breakfast this spring, yes I checked. I always stay at Drury, the breakfast is one of the reasons, it's not just a buffet they have a self serve waffle machine, very cool.

Gary
03-28-2005, 09:27 PM
Hey Gary, I actually got an e-mail about early booking of rooms too, but mine doesn't say anything about next friday, it's for May 13th (which is a friday) IS yours different?

I don't know, I deleted it. Already have my reservation.

Late_Night_Bill
03-30-2005, 11:11 PM
Check out anything on one of the shuttle loops. I believe I ended up at the Hampton Inn near the pyramids, but via the shuttle it was 15 minutes away. It was actually fairly convienient, a lot easier than Vegas during CES. The shuttle runs late enough (11pm) that you can get tipsey at one of the parties downtown, and still get the free ride home.

I think what happens to all the downtown rooms is various manufacturers and early birds don't wait for CEDIA to block out the rooms. I know a few that make the reservations while they are there the year before. Quite a few open up at the last minute from cancleations if you want to gamble, but they go for full price, like the Hyatt at $350/night.

PAAI
03-31-2005, 09:58 PM
Downtown is full. I have no idea why CEDIA wants me to wait until MAY 27th to book my room. I deleted that. Not a chance on paying those crazy rates in downtown INDY. I bet it was half that the first year. ANyway, I thought I would try that econolodge dive up North Meridian, but Gary threw up the like and the next thing you know I was talking to a nice lady who actually spoke english and cared for my concerns and questions.
Pool , internet, free hour of long distance, Breakfast...Swedish massages, whoops-I might have slipped there. I 'm back.
Well, Gary see ya there. The First Guinness is on me.

Gary
03-31-2005, 10:07 PM
Well, Gary see ya there. The First Guinness is on me.

I'll hold you to that.

Woody
05-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Gary,

I hope that more IP members do register, we are trying to register as we speak, we have a small group coming and it would be great to meet more of the IP pro's

Mike

Woody
05-05-2005, 04:39 PM
Doooooooh!!!! Sold out! anybody have any other suggestions
mike

Gary
05-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Doooooooh!!!! Sold out! anybody have any other suggestions
mike

The Drury Inn was sold out? That's surprising.

Woody
05-11-2005, 10:06 AM
We actually called the hotel directly instead of booking through a travel agent and got in! Looking forward to tilting a few "bevies" with the IP group and sharing knowledge.
Mike

Kelly
05-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Just called the hotel this afternoon (5/11 @ 6pm) and got a room.

Was given a higher rate initially, but told them "my buddy" got in for $59.00, so that's what they're charging me....

The number is 317-876-9777

I always call hotels direct anyway. You can generally get them to "give a little" dealing direct. Trying to use one of the online services, you've got no negotiating room.

PAAI
05-11-2005, 05:35 PM
I am driving and I have room for two to commute to downtown if anyone cares to carpool. I usually go back late unless I have to change.
I WILL be at the noodle most nights. black and tan anyone?

Kelly
05-11-2005, 05:49 PM
I am driving and I have room for two to commute to downtown if anyone cares to carpool. I usually go back late unless I have to change.
I WILL be at the noodle most nights. black and tan anyone?

Shotgun!...... :D

May not want me in your car though. I eat a few gutbusters over at White Castle and it can be rough...... :oops:

Greg_C
05-11-2005, 08:37 PM
i thinkl that they are tired of negotiating with us. I got them down to 69 for WED & Thurs, 99 for Fri and Sat. WTF, it's only money!

Gary
05-11-2005, 08:57 PM
i thinkl that they are tired of negotiating with us. I got them down to 69 for WED & Thurs, 99 for Fri and Sat. WTF, it's only money!

So where are you staying?

Greg_C
05-12-2005, 07:12 AM
The Drury! :P

flcusat
05-18-2005, 05:59 AM
My older's son birthday is September the 10th which must of the time is during CEDIA and I don't like to be away from home that particular day because he is really close to me. Last year was Friday so I flew in late night Friday. I was on a dilemma this year because this one will be on Saturday and I decided to take the family with me. So I need to start looking for a hotel and decide how many days I'm going to be staying there.

Kelly
05-19-2005, 03:22 PM
Well hell. Since so many seem to be going to CEDIA, I might go this year - long drive for me though (I will NOT fly).

WON'T FLY?

Oh come on, it's not the flying that kills you, it's the sudden stops......lol

Anonymous
05-19-2005, 07:20 PM
Hey Brad extremely busy. I'll call you one of these days.

rhm9
05-23-2005, 08:04 AM
So this year seems like the one that more than me and GregC will dine on sushi and slam tequilas at the Slip... and it looks like we'll be gearing up for Denver 2006 and missing the party. Not absolutely sure but we won't be committing by registration deadline.

Greg... drink an extra couple for me.

Roland

Coach
05-31-2005, 03:33 PM
I called Drury Inn today and they've still got rooms -- just in case you dawdled on this one (like me).

flcusat
06-05-2005, 04:44 PM
I just made my reservation at Drury but let me advise to all of you that haven't done it yet, prices are going up really fast. I'm getting there Wednesday night and living Monday morning. The prices for the first two nights are $89 and from Friday to Monday $139.

DJTommyB
06-15-2005, 03:09 PM
I just made my reservations, and what I had to do was book the first three nights at the Hyatt (317-632-1234), and the rest of the week at the Adams Mark (317-248-2481). It's kinda pricy, but I'll be right in the middle of everything.

If they've still got rooms, and yr crazy enough to go the same route, give 'em a call!

Cheers,

Tommy B

DJ Tommy B
Planet of Sound
Box 50186
Washington, DC 20091-0186
USA

djtommyb@planetofsound.net

_____________ _I-I__ __
/ ____ "-|_|-.\ \
/ __,--' `--._ _ \\ \
/,-' ,-"-. `-.\\ \