PDA

View Full Version : DVD Media Server

AVDesignPro
12-15-2006, 08:41 AM
Hi All!

Just a quick question about your experience with the assorted media servers available. My biggest concern would be reliability,ease of use, and controlability. I haven't really done a dedicated Video server yet and wanted to get your opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Scott

The8thst
12-15-2006, 09:10 AM
What exactly are you looking for?

Single zone output?
Multiple Zone outputs?
A DVD Changer Manager or DVD Harddrive Server?
What Price Point?
Are you leaning towards Escient, Request, Imerge, Kscape, AMX, etc?
What control systems do you generally use?
Do you control sources through IR, 1-way 232, 2-way 232, or TCP?
Are you concerned with iPod integration?
Are you concerned with iTunes protected AAC files?
Does it need to stream music from networked PCs?

Sorry I didn't answer your question, but I am just trying to narrow down the scope of interest so you can get useful poignant information.

Special-Ed
12-15-2006, 09:13 AM
everyone knows i like xperinet.... its good stuff

ed

smcnally
12-15-2006, 10:18 AM

ed

I did a Xperinet server with 5 players. Although it worked well once set up, the setting up and dealing with damaged product right out of the box was a nightmare. I don't think I would ever use or recommend them again. I wasn't too impressed with the Inteset units either. The Denzel and Vana I set up at a house worked for about a month and now they lock up very frequently. Their customer service has a lot to be disired too. The Vdeio request is more of a DVD changer controller than server. It works reliably, but, IMO, takes about as much time to load a disc than if I were to go grab it myself and stick it in. If you want a movie server, the only one I have heard nothing but good things about is Kaleidescape.

Greg_C
12-15-2006, 11:20 AM

ed

Yea, but you're a Jagbag and a Southsider...

Special-Ed
12-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Yea, but you're a Jagbag and a Southsider...

so whats your point? i'm also a cubs fan......

AVDesignPro
12-15-2006, 01:37 PM
What exactly are you looking for?

Single zone output? YES!
Multiple Zone outputs? YES
A DVD Changer Manager or DVD Harddrive Server? Either/Both
What Price Point? $1500- $20k
Are you leaning towards Escient, Request, Imerge, Kscape, AMX, etc? I only have hands on knowledge of is AMX
What control systems do you generally use? AMX generally down to Pronto
Do you control sources through IR, 1-way 232, 2-way 232, or TCP? ALL but generally RS232 and 2way is always prefered
Are you concerned with iPod integration? NOPE!
Are you concerned with iTunes protected AAC files? NOPE!
Does it need to stream music from networked PCs? NOPE!

Sorry I didn't answer your question, but I am just trying to narrow down the scope of interest so you can get useful poignant information.

That's np at all I should have written my request for opinions differently! I should have known better!

Greg_C
12-15-2006, 04:23 PM
so whats your point? i'm also a cubs fan......

A southsider Cubs fan? Isn't that an oxymoron? :-)

flyingmachine
12-16-2006, 04:14 PM
A southsider Cubs fan? Isn't that an oxymoron? :-)

No, just remove the "oxy".

Sorry, its ingrained in my brain to crap on Cub's fans.

Greg_C
12-16-2006, 09:57 PM
No, just remove the "oxy".

Sorry, its ingrained in my brain to crap on Cub's fans.

Be nice, Remember that our fearless leader Gary is a Cubs fan too! :-)

TTT
01-26-2007, 06:26 AM
My distributor has just dealing with the Axonix Mediamax range of servers. They are new to the UK but it seems they have been around in the US for a while. Any views?

S3-Inc
02-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Hi Guys,

New to the forums.

I came across a company last summer that not only acts as a DVD Server, but store Music, Pictures and has 3 built in DVR's (non HD at this time). Cool thing is they sell remote clients to, so you can stream movies, music, TV.

Check out www.ehomesys.com

I've got about 3 projects that we are integrating this into.

Jeff

EvolutionHT
05-02-2007, 11:35 PM
There is NOTHING that can beat Kaleidescape! Yes, it's more expensive than the competition, but once you've used it, you'll know why. It gives you everything you could ask for (HDMI, Component, S-Video, Composite, Coax Digital, Optical, Analog L/R, IR, RS232 - all hot, all the time!)
It's NOT Windows or Linux based (It's RELIABLE, & not just a "tweaked" PC).

tschulte
05-03-2007, 07:51 AM
Hey EvolutionHT, you are digging up old threads. I know you are excited about being here, but when a subject is dead, leave it alone.

smcnally
05-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Hey EvolutionHT, you are digging up old threads. I know you are excited about being here, but when a subject is dead, leave it alone.
The oldest thread he pulled up was last added to just 2 months ago. It's not like he resurrected a 2 year old thread.:confused:

tschulte
05-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Go look at his other posts!

flyingmachine
05-03-2007, 10:21 AM

Man, I've resurrected 18 month old threads and pissed off some people, but come on, I think you are being a bit hard on the guy. I still don't know why people get so worked up over posting in old threads. If you don't want to read them, don't.

smcnally
05-03-2007, 10:22 AM
I did, and like I said, the oldest one he replied to was last replied to in February...what's the big deal? FWIW, DVD servers are still a very hot topic and will be for awhile.

tschulte
05-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Patrick, I gave you a pass since you came from RC. Just kidding.

It is one thing to breath new life into an old thread (i.e. have something new to say, or ask a different question, or do as Avzone did and see if anything changed), but to just inject your opinion on a subject that has been dead for two months does no one any good.

smcnally
05-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Yes, but what good does it add to bitch and moan about it ;) :D

Just to make you feel better, I'll post something that adds to the post. I got an email this morning about the iMuse unit. It looks pretty interesting to me since it is a Meedio box. I run Meedio at home and it works pretty well. I always said that if I could find a way to make ripping movies to my Meedio box that I would try to find a way to sell it. These guys did it, so I bet it works pretty well.

Glackowitz
05-03-2007, 12:30 PM
we are working with an Inteset system...JUNK!!

the units were bad out of the box upon arrival...video boards came loose in shipping, after we fixed that 1 was still DOA, poor support, poor Crestron interface...we have been dealing with it now for 4 months, still has issues from time to time...and I liked how they loaded a Beta software on it and let us try it in a house where the client was already pissed at the system because it was locking up or not working

Have done an Integra NVS-7.7 and client really likes it..Kinda basic operations for him

smcnally
05-03-2007, 02:32 PM
we are working with an Inteset system...JUNK!!

the units were bad out of the box upon arrival...video boards came loose in shipping, after we fixed that 1 was still DOA, poor support, poor Crestron interface...we have been dealing with it now for 4 months, still has issues from time to time...and I liked how they loaded a Beta software on it and let us try it in a house where the client was already pissed at the system because it was locking up or not working

Have done an Integra NVS-7.7 and client really likes it..Kinda basic operations for him
I told the guys at Inteset that I wouldn't recommend their product to anyone. They are local to me and getting support from them still sucked. They will go down like a bird with no wings unless they figure out a way to replace MCE in their boxes.

nholmes
05-05-2007, 03:35 PM
I have worked with Kaleidescape, Inteset, Video Request, Plain MCE and used to use meedio for my homebrew media server.

There was a great CD/DVD ripping utility called Gotcha Covered (Both Video and Audio Suites) and that worked very well for DVD ripping and library info lookup.

I had problems with a few small things with regards to inteset but have been over-all pleased with the product. The later crestron modules have worked well and have not been a problem. I also knew going into it that this was a MCE based unit and took those precautions that I normally do for PC integration. It has been very reliable for months straight. The biggest complaint I have about them is lack of user manuals/instructions. I ended up having to write a 10 page document (had many screen shots to represent the MCE and Crestron interfaces at various stages.)

The video request is solid but slow and does not have nicest interface.

Kaleidescape is a great product with the exception of its initial sticker shock. Most people that I get to actually show the interface fall in love right away.

My current home setup is a Vista Ultimate home built PC of modest standards and the Autonomic Home media server program. It installs as client on the MCE pc and provides a fairly robust interface for MCE. I am still testing the various options such as using multiple extenders to work with central audio.

QQQ
05-05-2007, 10:40 PM
The Denzel and Vana I set up at a house worked for about a month and now they lock up very frequently.
What are those?

QQQ
05-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Kaleidescape is a great product with the exception of its initial sticker shock. Most people that I get to actually show the interface fall in love right away.
For those that don't know the price of entry with their new one U server is now 10K. That makes it accessible to a much wider audience.

idodishez
05-05-2007, 11:17 PM
It is one thing to breath new life into an old thread (i.e. have something new to say, or ask a different question, or do as Avzone did and see if anything changed), but to just inject your opinion on a subject that has been dead for two months does no one any good.

Just be happy hes not pulling a Stanley and pulling up posts 3 YEARS old!

discipletx
05-06-2007, 01:39 PM
Since the thread was re-opened, one of my distributors sent me this link. Any thoughts on this? http://www.axonix.com/

Brian

ConCon
05-07-2007, 08:56 AM
I was calibrating for another local dealer who sells the MediaMax products and loves them. My first impression was great. Only played with it for a half hour or so. He said the clients sell for 3K.
So that inspired me get something in my home for less. I found XBMC as a personal solution. I do not think of it as a customer solution. Never.
Just mentioned it here as some of you might enjoy tinkering as well. It requires more computer savvy than retail products. (http://xboxmediacenter.com/index.php)

nholmes
05-09-2007, 11:16 PM
I was calibrating for another local dealer who sells the MediaMax products and loves them. My first impression was great. Only played with it for a half hour or so. He said the clients sell for 3K.
So that inspired me get something in my home for less. I found XBMC as a personal solution. I do not think of it as a customer solution. Never.
Just mentioned it here as some of you might enjoy tinkering as well. It requires more computer savvy than retail products. (http://xboxmediacenter.com/index.php)

I had a job I got called into on a yacht that had modded xbox's in each video location that was running XBMC as the front end for a 6tb server hosting movies. It was scary to see it installed as a solution, in a yacht no less, though I had used it in my own home before.

Yes the new price of the 1u does make it more affordable for most people, and puts it in the range of inteset denzel or such higher end MCE devices which offers more functions but generally not as stable.

EvolutionHT
05-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome.:-? I thought this forum was for people in the industry to share their thoughts. I didn't realize I needed approval to "revive" threads that were over a few weeks old.

------------------------------------------------

Has anyone else seen the new Calrad media server? I was at a distributor the other day, and the Calrad rep was there running a demo on their new media server. It's XP based:roll: and was missing movie descriptions on about 25% of it's database (all relatively popular movies). It did have a decent configurable GUI, but they really wanted you to use their proprietary touchpanel to control it well. It supposedly can also act as a control system for IR & RS232 devices, but for some reason, I don't forsee Crestron & Kaleidescape shaking in their boots over this one;)

Matt
05-10-2007, 08:55 AM
I didn't realize I needed approval to "revive" threads that were over a few weeks old.

You don't. A lot of our old threads had some really great information in them. Digging up old threads here can provide you some real gems, while doing so at remote central will get your toes stepped on.

smcnally
05-11-2007, 08:48 AM
What are those?
They are a media server and client made by Inteset. IMO, they are crap and nothing more than a really expensive MCE box that has issues.

PAAI
05-11-2007, 09:12 AM
We have emailed them for basic sales info, as I saw them at the Ehxpo in Orlando. So far emails have gone unanswered. Good Grief CB.

I think you are right. They will go down faster than Monica and fall harder.