PDA

View Full Version : DSC, pager communication

Shadowman68
03-26-2005, 11:57 AM
I have a client that I installed a small security system for, DSC 5010. The guy didnt want monitoring, said he didnt trust the police to come in time. (Valid concern). What I did was use the pager format to call his cell phone, and on 2nd line to call his brother. We tested the system, it calls the cell phone and the ph# to the house appears on the call display, but if you answer the phone, the system hangs up and calls the brothers house. It called the brothers house about 5 times before I pulled the power. We tried again and did not answer the cell phone, again it called the brothers house repeatedly. I have tried messing with the programming a few times and just cant get it to work.
Is this a lost cause? I cant get any straight answers from Tech Support. Anyone else tried this?

Jerry
03-26-2005, 12:21 PM
My guess is it is looking for a confirmation tone after pick-up.
The dialer in the dsc is probably sending out contact ID signals, therefore, unless you can reply with the cell, the tone the panel is looking for, this is probably all you will get.
I use the HAI panels for these situations, they will call up to 8 numbers on any event you tell it to. Also, the call-in feature is pretty convenient.

Shadowman68
03-26-2005, 05:22 PM
when the panel is in pager mode, it should know that it cannot receive a signal back. I think I will try setting the 2nd line to pager as well and see if that fixes anything. that way it will call both place only 1 time. Also the panel goes into trouble mode, and the only way to fix it is to power it down and reset. Anyone use GE for security? I wonder if I can get HAI here.

Jerry
03-26-2005, 05:58 PM
For small simple alarm, I use the Concord Express. 6 zone HW (expandable) 16 zone wireless.
In Canada EECOL and ADI distribute HAI.
I'm not up on the DSC panels, so I was shooting from the hip on my last reply. Although, it would seem that the pager function should do more than just ring your phone once.
See if you can find a pager to see how this function works.
I would think:
1 pager answers.. beep,beep,beep
2 panel enters home #, then hangs-up.

Gary
03-26-2005, 11:19 PM
HAI would have been a much better choise for this kind of system, it was designed to do just what you want. It can call up to 8 phone numbers and say a message, very cool.

For integrators this panel is a great- www.homeauto.com

Shadowman68
03-27-2005, 12:09 AM
The Eecol rep is a good friend of mine, Im going to have to ride his ass about HAI, they carry some DSC but very minimal. One good thing Eecol has done in the last little while is, they have stopped giving discounts on the Leviton integrated products to just anyone with an account. There were a dozen or so guys that would come in and buy the occassional piece. The last time the leviton rep was in town, the guys that use it all the time bitched to him about how they wanted us to take Leviton classes and become Leviton certified but were not willing to give any benefits for it. So Eecol went ahead and cut off the guys that were only cherry picking the line and kept the guys that werent, on full discount. Color me impressed. Thursday I got an email from the Leviton rep and they are coming to Lethbridge in April to do a 2 day training, once the training is complete, we will recieve an extra 10% off for being certified.

Shadowman68
03-29-2005, 01:08 AM
thats how its is supposed to work with a pager, it dials then sends a 911 code or what ever you program it to. But with a cell phone its different. Cell phone works like a residential line. All that comes up on the call display is the home number.
I finally got pissed with the techs and called the western manager, He simply explained that I had spec'd the wrong panel for that particular application. Apparently in the last 5 or 6 months they have come out with a new panel. (Would be nice to be CC'd on things like that) The 5015 has a residential dial feature that will do a prerecorded voice message. So for now, till the new panel arrives, I switched the 2nd line to pager as well and dropped the dial outs to 2. Now the system will call both phones twice before giving up.
When I went to the house to make the changes, she pointed out to me some muddy foot prints on the deck. Looks like someone has been trying to break into the house. Good thing these guys actually use their security system. It has gone off twice, once when she was in the shower and the second time at 1:30 am when she was at work. We think the culprit is one of the tradesmen, when the homeowners took possession they were given two keys that work the deadbolts. But the homebuilder said he left 5 keys, 2 for the deadbolts and 3 for the lock assemblies. So 3 keys are missing. I called a locksmith friend of mine who came over on Saturday and rekeyed all the locks for her. Considering her husband is in Dubai till April 5, she was quite happy.

Shadowman68
04-02-2005, 01:26 AM
HAI has a one day training in Calgary on May 18th. Think I will sign up and check it out.

Jerry
04-02-2005, 09:32 AM
HAI has a one day training in Calgary on May 18th. Think I will sign up and check it out.
Which training is it?
They have one session that is a joke.

Jerry
04-02-2005, 09:34 AM
Dubai?
Exxon perhaps?

Shadowman68
04-03-2005, 04:18 PM
He's a tax strategist. teaches people how to reduce their tax load by eliminating taxes.
Its the Automation Simplified training. Not sure what it entails, but at least it will give me a look at the product line.

Jerry
04-03-2005, 04:54 PM
He's a tax strategist. teaches people how to reduce their tax load by eliminating taxes.
Its the Automation Simplified training. Not sure what it entails, but at least it will give me a look at the product line.
Don't waste your time on the Automation Simplified.
Unless they have changed it, it is a cheesey power point with no technical info.
I'll see if they have a link to the Power Point they use.
If you have a day to kill, you can come down here,