PDA

View Full Version : Satellite weather covers or heaters

roddymcg
03-27-2005, 01:16 PM
How well do do they work, any preferences....???

We are starting a project here in the local So. California mountains and I am wondering if it is worth it to install a dish, and then cover it or use a heater to keep snow from building up and blocking the signal???

Here in Southern California we don't have many of the weather issues some of you have to deal with. Or is it easier and more reliable to just recommend that the client get cable TV. I really hate cable, more so because of all the horrible service they provide than the picture. But the project is a couple hours away and servicing a dish that keeps losing it signal could be a major problem.

Any feedback would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Roddy

Ghost
03-27-2005, 05:49 PM
(1) - You can put all the dish covers on you want, its not going to give you any better signal in a rain storm. It really pisses me off to see these manufactures get away with false advertising (Monster, Bose, ect...). You can't change physics and the reason why Directv's or DishNetworks' signal degrades in a rain storm has to do with the size of rain drops in the air and the wavelength of the signals coming from the satellite in the Ku-Band. Period...
If covers could really help, then an even better alternative would be to build a shelter for your dish so no rain ever comes near it - have it shoot out under the edge to the sat. But it doesn't work like that does it :idea: .
You really shouldn't have a problem with signal if the dish is properly installed & peaked out, except in the heaviest downpours. You can get a larger dish to help catch more signal - I use a Gain Master dish made by Channel Master. This gets you a bit more signal - I've never lost signal yet with this dish that I know of, if it's storming that bad outside I probably have already lost power or I'm more concerned with other things.

(2) - Snow is a good reason to get a cover, but... I've heard snow can still build up on one of these. The stick on dish heaters are great for this but it does use electricity, harder to install, ect... What I've been told works well is to spray PAM on the dish, the snow will slide right off.
Just so you'll know, it never snows where I am, so I have no first hand experience with snow & dishes.

roddymcg
03-27-2005, 06:16 PM
The snow is my main concern, we don't have any experience with snow here either. the local mountains can get a bit of snow during the winter. Nothing like the Rockies or the Sierras for that matter. This all completely new to me, so I hoping to keep the experimenting to a minimal especially due to the distance thing. Even though I would not mind coming up for a service call if I could break out the snowbaord and get a few runs in. Unfortunatly I have to keep the customers interested in mind before mine:D.

Thanks for feedback, never thought of the PAM thing. My friend has Direct TV and I remember having to get a broom and sweep the snow off the dish so we could watch TV. Fun times after you have been out at the bars all day and everybody expects you to get the TV working.

sihrig
03-27-2005, 11:23 PM
Another tip.. I live in an area covered with snow 6 months out of the year and install quite a few dishes every year. Try to install the dish so that the LNB lies in an area that will not accumulate snow. On roof-peaks just install it so that the arm extends out from the roof nad likewise on houses. By the time the snow has enough time to accumulate on the LNB to cause disturbance, chances are it is to heavy and will fall off of the LNB.

Heard of PAM, never tried it. LNB guards....POS and false advertisement. Not too many people understand the droplet size of rain and wavelengths, but nicely noted Brad.

We get approx. 15' of snow a year and I guess this is the main point to drive home:

Sat. is not 100 % bullet-proof and every installer should be letting their clients know that rain, snow and wind can have an effect on signal strength. We can minimize effects by "peaking" in the dish, but hell it is mother nature we are up against still.

Good luck with the install and don't be to afraid of the snow. Hell if TV goes out due to snow, then the family should be outside playing in it anyhow.

Ghost
03-28-2005, 11:34 AM
If you speak of the devil.....

We've been having some heavy rain the last few days, and wouldn't you know... yesterday I go to watch TV and it starts pouring cats & dogs (couldn't see 10 feet out the door) - my HD TiVo says "nope, sorry, searching for sat signal". lasted a minute ot two.
Oh well. I can only imagine how long my neighbor was out of signal with that smaller Phase III dish (he just got it installed, not by me).