PDA

View Full Version : Pinnacle Speaker Array (budget system)

Kelly
01-20-2007, 11:05 AM
Pinnacle QP9 LCR "bar", along with a pair of CM6001 in-ceiling rears and a SUBCOMPACT-6 in a family room "budget" ($8,500.00 total) system.

Performance was more than adequate. Well above the the Yamaha YSP-that I used last year.

For the QP9 I did have to fabricate the mounting for under the PDP (LGPC1DA), but that was relatively easy (some aluminum flat stock extended from the PDP mounting "rails"). Soundwise you wouldn't dare use this unit without a sub of some sort. Pinnacle claims 100 to 21khz, but to my ears, the 100 might be a bit generous. But what can be expected of those small speakers?

The sub couldn't REALLY be called a sub, but it did fit on a bookshelf, and it did help fill the low (not very) to mid range void. Just enough punch to let you know there was a sub present. But not nearly enough to shake the room at all. Again, can't expect much from those small speakers.

CM6001 rears? Well, what the hell, they were rears in the worst possible location. I had no expectations of even decent surround. I really despise a room where there is NO choice but ceiling mounted rears. But, they worked.

AV was Newcastle R-771, Newcastle VC-765 CD/DVD and the obligatory Scientific Atlanta 8300-HD with a URC MX900/MRF250 (MRF250 that was sitting on the shelf needing a home).

COMediaSys
01-20-2007, 01:36 PM
Recently put in a QP9 as well and had almost the same impressions. The low end rating of 100Hz is indeed pretty hopeful, but when paired with a sub you can get a pretty decent sound.

First subs we put in were the Pinnacle 6" subs. I won't make that mistake twice! They are way too weak. Granted my expectations were a bit high as well.

When this thing is done I'll post a couple of shots. The subs (now custom-made) are under the hearth and there are custom scribed grills mounted to cover them. I don't know if I would do it again as it was a pain, but in this situation the homeowner didn't want a visable sub and there was no chance of doing an in-wall due to the structure.

tgav8rs
01-21-2007, 07:09 PM
Have done a few QP9s and a 15. We are putting another 9 in this week. They have their place and are not for all installs.