PDA

View Full Version : AMX and mp3 servers

sirroundsound
03-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Have been looking at Homelogic system, a little cheaper than AMX, some pretty straight forward features, but, as in many cases, the client starts revealing his wish list and I have to move him up to AMX. One issue, the Homelogic system has an audio "Tab" that makes the system an HD type of music system for the clients MP3's. which he will be able to see on the touch panel. Now I have used the AMX MAX, but it's going to add way too much on to the cost, does anyone know of another type of HD music system that gives feedback so that systems like Crestron or AMX can see and control the music selection.

bradodegard
03-31-2005, 03:11 PM
We've been using ReQuest pretty much exclusively for the last few years with our AMX systems. We've been very happy with the integration between the two so far. Your mileage may vary.

Brad

avzone
03-31-2005, 05:20 PM
The most recent CEPro has an article on media servers with a section referring to this very subject. Page 62 I think, check it out. The Escient units provide what you want as well.

http://www.escient.com/

The8thst
03-31-2005, 08:10 PM
For the most part I like the Escient products very much, and I am putting in another Fireball and DVDM tomorrow.
They have a very good feature set and are pretty flexible, plus they have integration modules/IR libraries for just about every control system out there.

PAAI
03-31-2005, 10:03 PM
I have been waiting to get my hands on one of those DVDM-300 units. Just hasn't happened yet. have you installed any?

The8thst
03-31-2005, 10:21 PM
I have installed the various CD fireballs and the DVDM-100's.

I think the DVDM-300 is a great product for people like us, but for a big install I would very much prefer to have two seperate pieces: a CD player (E2) and a DVD player (DVDM-100).
That way it is easier to integrate and makes it easier on the user in the end. I like it when a piece of gear has one job and does it well. Just imagine telling a client that they cannot listen to a CD while they cook because their teenage son is watching a DVD.... you will get a blank stare and then an angry glare.

I wish I could get the people at Escient to completely get rid of the CD button on the DVDM and get rid of the iRadio button on everything they make; they only confuse the end users. I think they should have some more variation in the GUI's between the E2 and the DVDM.

If it wasn't for a great control system I think having an E2 and a DVDM or a DVDM-300 would become confusing to all except the installers. Oh, and why call them both Fireballs? Make it easier to distinguish between the two without resorting to model numbers.

Sorry for the rant. My post should have read "no I haven't used a DVDM-300 yet" :wink:

-Pete

Anonymous
09-12-2005, 09:35 PM
I am also wishing a few things, I currently use the Elan version, (obviously not related) Both could learn a bit from each other, elan has seperate pieces when is great, add in that they are multi output. Bit less of an interface in the elan side (less info) but still dead reliable and usable from many users.

Maybe someone will come out with a 4 output dvd/cd controller, that would be great, but escient piece at under 5k is pretty snazzy, obviously the elan pieces are no where near that price, but apples to oranges comparison...

Brandon