PDA

View Full Version : Splice IN wire?

Jasontynes
06-22-2014, 07:23 PM
I gotta admit, I've been doing this for awhile, and I've never come across this. I was stripping back a 14/4 today and there was a splice under the wire sheathing. The white wire was soldered and heat shrunk, so I'm thinking I'm good, but I was just surprised. Has anybody else seen this?
JT

39 Cent Stamp
06-23-2014, 07:25 PM
At first I thought "okay so whoever installed this speaker before you came to remove it must have done this because the contractors cut the wire".

Then I realized you were saying that you stripped the white jacket off a 4 conductor cable and found that someone else had soldered & put heat shrink on the wire at the factory. If this is the case then no, I have never seen it before.

I have seen posts about Cat5 being spliced in the middle of a 1000' spool but never anything about speaker wire. It's quite possible that this is common and no one has ever stripped off the right spot to see it.

What kind of speaker? Looks like the white liberty 12/4 that we use.

3DS
06-23-2014, 08:48 PM
I've seen something similar with 12/2 AC90 (Armored electrical cable). We had a circuit that wasn't working and could physically see the wire from end to end. So we replaced the wire and all was good. Stripped all the armor off the cable and found a point where the wires just ended and then new ones continued after that point. It's a good thing the cable was exposed and not in a wall. The company I was working for ended up getting a whole pallet of wire for free because of it.

ichbinbose
06-24-2014, 11:01 AM
I've heard of it before, just never ran into myself.
i doubt it would be an issue.

Jasontynes
06-24-2014, 07:45 PM
It's Snap 14/4.
It's probably not a big deal on speaker wire, but if I saw it on a cat wire I'd likely be more concerned.
JT

avzone
06-25-2014, 08:56 AM
Yes, we ran into this with SanpAV wire. Not only was it spliced, it was a BAD splice and required we run a new speaker wire AFTER sheetrock was up. Not happy! However, SnapAV did make up for it.