PDA

View Full Version : Security Monitoring

Shadowman68
04-05-2005, 02:18 PM
All you security guys, do any of you use cellular for primary communication to the monitoring substation? Do you know if the signal is GPRS packet based, digital or analog? Basically what im looking for is a system that will communicate with a wireless modem or data logger, collect the alarm signal and send it in a packet based format using a GPRS data network to the monitoring substation. Is this technology available yet? Or have I just stumbled on to a winning lottery ticket?

Shadowman68
04-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Ive been thinking about this all day, isnt there a way to do this through Crestron? have the security panel routed through the crestron system, and have it call the monitoring co. or the customers cell phone or send an email when an event occurs?

lowvoltguy
04-05-2005, 09:40 PM
Hmmm? ... Try calling HAI's tech support .... HAI can do a lot, but I'm not sure how an absent phone line fits in ... DSC has radio backup .... HAI and Crestron work well together ... I'd try the HAI route ... maybe Gary has some insight ... I'm just a dumb salesman ...

Gary
04-05-2005, 10:12 PM
What are you trying to do?

Jerry
04-05-2005, 11:26 PM
Ive been thinking about this all day, isnt there a way to do this through Crestron? have the security panel routed through the crestron system, and have it call the monitoring co. or the customers cell phone or send an email when an event occurs?
HAI does this with or without Crestron.
In fact, on any given event, it can do all of them.
1st call mon company
2nd call whoever
3rd send email

As far as your; data cellular logger gps packet driven pocket wrench;
Well, Huh???

Shadowman68
04-05-2005, 11:43 PM
Ok, right now as it stands with DSC if you have cellular communication with your monitoring, it goes from your transciever to the nearest tower, then to Toronto to the clearing house then back to the monitoring location via land line.With this configuration you are looking at a 1 min turnaround per signal. So you could be looking at 4 min for alarm 1, alarm restoral, alarm 2, alarm restoral. What I would like to do is have the transciever send a message to a wireless modem or data logger, convert it to a data packet or text message, so all info is compressed into a single message, then have the modem dial your cell phone, the monitoring station and send you a text message or email. So far I havent been able to find anything like this, BUT... i did talk to a buddy who is a crestron guy who said something similar is possible. (But he hasnt attempted it yet). He figures that if I bring the signal from the security panel into a CP2E, I can configure it to call the cell phone, send an email, or what ever else I want. Is this so?
I think some questions would be, what language is the security panel speaking, will the CP2E be able to interpret and pass the same message to the alarm co.

lowvoltguy
04-06-2005, 10:23 PM
Shadow ... Did you come up with a solution? ... This is one of those situations where you really have to do some thinking ... Beyond my scope of knowledge (as limited as it is) :?

Shadowman68
04-06-2005, 11:41 PM
Nothing on the Crestron end yet. Im still waiting for answers. I did find a few panels that have a RS-232 port so you can link them to a wireless modem and send a signal to a laptop. My neighbor and I were playing around with a modem tonite. We took one from a Semi truck that he was working on with a GPS system in it. I hooked it in to the programing port on my security panel and we were able to manipulate it from his house via the modem using the DSC program DLS2000. So it is possible. We didnt get to the point where we could send events I think I will need another module for that, possibly a print server module. My wife was getting a little pissed off with the keypads beeping so we called it quits. I will try more tomorrow. I think all we would need is for him to write a program that would interpret the alarm events from the panel and have them sent out. Just like sending an email from your computer to a cell phone. Also, using the skyroute system with DSC, we could send an S packet to the connect 24 clearing house which would in turn send a signal to the monitoring company. It shouldnt be too hard to bypass the clearing house and contact the monitoring company directly. As long as they have the software to interpret the text message. He is going to see what type of incoming protocol we need to communicate with the network at the monitoring station. We may be able to just send an email.