PDA

View Full Version : DVDO control experience?

Theaterworks
01-25-2005, 06:36 AM
I've just signed up to be a DVDO dealer. We've taken a look at the RS-232 code, and are ready to spend the $$ needed to complete our own Crestron module. However, I don't want to re-invent the wheel, and was wondering if someone has this done already and would be willing to share?

Also, any experiences with DVDO in general that anyone can relate?

Brijaws
01-25-2005, 07:03 AM
You should be able to put the request in with Crestron and have them at least get started on somthing with basic control for you.

We had similar requests with the B&K line - We started selling the CT series but controlling them with a CP2E and a Panel on 232.

Theaterworks
01-25-2005, 09:16 AM
I've had less than stellar luck with Crestron's responsiveness on issues like this in the past. In fact, I spent a good bit of money having my programmer slog through the obtuse B&K RS-232 protocol to write our own Crestron driver when they could not give me a date for theirs. Then, weeks later, theirs came out. Now, B&K's new surround receivers have a new RS-232 protocol, and here we go again.

Gary
01-25-2005, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't think it would take that long to write a module for a scaler/switcher, do you have the protocol?

The big problem with B&K is not the protocol, it's the documentation. Imposable to read.

I have a CT module that is still a ways from done, if anyone wants to see it, send me an PM. I think Crestron module sucks, where's the tuner feedback?

AudibleSolutions
01-25-2005, 01:47 PM
Feedback? What is feedback? Why would one need feedback if one is using RS-232? Is that not what IR is for? I have not had to deal with B&K since the Reference 10 or some such stupid number. RS-232 then was limited to IR commands and the IR commands were easier to deal with. You could get turn feedback but it required polling the front panel. An other company who knows nothing about serial but makes a very nice product.

Anyone has any issues send it to me. I like to work for free. It's more fun at least then posting in chat forums.

No more verrification? Go Tigers!

Alan

Brijaws
01-25-2005, 01:58 PM
Feedbackis need to display on the touch panels the Vaules coming from the system - Zone Status, Volume Level, Ect...

Where you kiding when you said "Feedback?"

AudibleSolutions
01-25-2005, 02:04 PM
Yes. I was kidding.

Alan

Gary
01-25-2005, 02:09 PM
Feedback? What is feedback? Why would one need feedback if one is using RS-232? Is that not what IR is for? I have not had to deal with B&K since the Reference 10 or some such stupid number. RS-232 then was limited to IR commands and the IR commands were easier to deal with. You could get turn feedback but it required polling the front panel. An other company who knows nothing about serial but makes a very nice product.

The new B&K stuff has a very complete and fairly well though out protocol, but the documentation was apparently written by someone that is both verbose and disorganized.

The module true blue wrote just does a bad job of utilizing the feedback, for some reason they though the only feedback you might want is the front panel display.

No more verrification? Go Tigers!
Alan

I believe verification is coming. It's time to fire Quinn.

Brijaws
01-25-2005, 02:25 PM
pehff...

thank god.

Theaterworks
01-25-2005, 03:19 PM
Yes, I have the protocol for the DVDO, but was wondering if someone had done the homework already. I guess I don't need feedback on a scaler, really, and just need to drive it correctly.

AudibleSolutions
01-25-2005, 03:42 PM
Feedback is not only something one uses on a GUI. You can use it as the basis for you logic, e.g. input 1 to output 4. You could have your programmer write the logic such that you would continue to send that command until the device acknowledged that it had indeed sent input 1 to output 4. You could also base your GUI on that feedback so that rather than basing your button feedback on the press it could be based upon the device state.

You could use RS-232 like discrete IR; IR is also a serial command structure. If all you wish to do is make use of the RS-232 protocol to send discretes that are not available from the remote than you would not need feedback. But what happens if a client walks up to the switcher and presses input X to output Y? If you write your code such that feedback comes from the device it will show up on your touch panel. Is this overkill? Maybe. But the only other reason to use RS-232 over IR would be the hard wired connection instead of an emitter. From a programming point of view 1-way feedback is undesireable. From a business point of view, where making it work is good enough and move on to the next job, then dispensing with feedback programmaticly is done all of the time.

Jawz
You really thought I did not know what feedback was? Is it what happens when you tell your wife you need to take a business trip for training and training happens to be in Hawaii

Alan

Anonymous
01-26-2005, 09:21 AM
Alan

When you tell your wife you need training in Hawaii, one of two things occur. If she is included, then it is, indeed, feedback. If she has to stay at home, it is technically called "grounds for divorce."