PDA

View Full Version : Directv HD with DVR over Vonage

sirroundsound
01-30-2005, 10:34 PM
Have a client that upgraded his satellite box to the HD model with a DVR. They also use Vonage (VOIP) for the system to dial out, can't seem to do it with this box, all the other sat boxes in house don't have any issues. Have checked a couple of other forums out there and see that this is an issue, and some people have listed a couple of things to try, none of which have worked for us. Anyone out here played with this combination? Simple answer was to take sat box to another house and get it initialized, then it should work, only problem here is our location.

Brijaws
01-31-2005, 06:34 AM
Dont know abou thte sat Issues, but we are using Vonange in the office and it was a great investment.

sirroundsound
01-31-2005, 08:23 AM
We use it in our office too, works great, we have a number of our clients that we have installed this for, no problems, all except this dumb sat issue.

avdude
02-01-2005, 12:29 AM
does this client have an actual phone system using vonage? does it need to dial 9 to access an outside line?

some of the newer sat, cable and DVR's have a setting, buried very deep in the menus, that allow for you to set a delay to wait for dial tone before dialing.

I am not using Vonage, but I am using broadvoice at home (when I was there last in October anyway) and it takes a good two-three seconds before several of my phones have dial tone.

This latency could be the source of the DVR dial-out problem...figure out if there is a way to stop the modem from looking for dial tone so quickly!

good luck...voip is a great new frontier that is SURE to present us with many exctiting new challenges over the coming months!

sirroundsound
02-01-2005, 08:03 AM
They have a panasonic 1232 system, but I have the sat connected directly, and the phone system on another port. Some of the other posts suggested to use a variety of codes that were supoosed to add a delay to the sat box before dialing, Vonage supposedly is working on a solution for this issue.
You are right, VOIP is certainly and exciting new addition to our industry, lots of things to deal with coming up.

Anonymous
03-26-2005, 11:56 PM
If they have Vonage then they have a broadband internet connection and possibly a network right? Check the link below to a thread on RC that tells about using a USB to network adapter. You still have to connect with the modem for the initial setup but the tivo information should be accessible over the broadband connection.

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-custom/thread.cgi?4791

sirroundsound
03-27-2005, 10:18 PM
The only solution so far has been to add *67 or whatever the code is that blocks the caller id info, and dial out on regular phone line, we are in Canada and even though client is paying through US company he owns, they are still supoosed to cut us off if they know system is up here. The Vonage was part for the clients long distance use and to submit a US phone number to Directv and Tivo. Not sure how long this will last before they give him problems, guess they can't force you to use a listed number.