PDA

View Full Version : Good replacement for an old SmartPad?

Kelly
04-06-2005, 06:09 PM
Did a job some 14 years ago that is needing some upgrading of sorts.

Decidedly low tech compared to what we're doing these days, and a major upgrade isn't possible.

What I have is an old Xantech SmartPad (the old kind with the pop in indicators) which is run on 3 wires of a 4 wire run. Sends simple IR commands to the equipment which is on another floor.

What I'm wondering is, what in your opininion would be a nice upgrade that will run on the existing wiring, and wont break the bank. Something with a bit more appeal that doesn't have to be loaded with "hidden" commands. Status would be a bonus, and really is needed since at least one cource is shared with the theater.

Will the B&K Keypad work in this instance, or would there be power and wiring issues?

I have the Russound Uno-IR2, but am thinking it may not be the best choice, since I'll still have some pretty clunky functions. And I do want this to be as easy as possible for the user (been a REALLY good customer).

Gary
04-06-2005, 07:40 PM
The B&K should be fine, but my personal choice would be the Sonance K2.

http://www.sonance.com/subs/product_details.php?product_id=133

roddymcg
04-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Gary,

What do you like about the Sonance keypads over the B & K keypads??

Do you prefer the Sonace electronics compared to the B & K as well??

Roddy

Gary
04-06-2005, 11:18 PM
Gary,

What do you like about the Sonance keypads over the B & K keypads??

The big thing is we do a lot of RTI remotes, so the software is the same and to the user it's the same as a T2+.

I also like not being limited to five letters.

If I used MX700s then I would proboly go the B&K route.

Do you prefer the Sonace electronics compared to the B & K as well??

Roddy

No.

The8thst
04-07-2005, 08:02 AM
I install many Sonance K2 keypads and have never had a problem once they are programmed and running.
They are very flexible, the software is great, they now come with a bag of about 25 differently labeled button caps for changing the side buttons to suit your needs, they support press and hold macros, and they have status sensing.

If you use status then you will typically be hooking up 5 wires (+12v, ground, IR, status ground, status voltage) this is not a problem when using cat5, but for you it might be.
The two ground tabs may be common, but I'm not sure. If they are then you can do everything on 4 wires.