PDA

View Full Version : Elan Via 4.0

Greg_C
04-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Is the screen on the Elan VIA 4.0 big enough to comfotably navagate the screens on the Elan VIA!DJ? I have yet to play with it, and a client wants an audio server in his whole house system we are putting together. He only has a TV in the theater and the Master BR, so modulating to local tv's won't work. Trying not to get too outragous on the price of the system, as we need 4 touchscreens, and the house is not a multi-million mansion.

Greg_C
04-18-2005, 08:44 PM
Comon guys, someone has to have an opinion good/bad. Just starting to use Elan, can use some advice from you guys.

Shadowman68
04-19-2005, 12:12 AM
I havent used a 4.0, but I cant see the smaller screen being too much of a concern. In the new Via Tools I havent seen the setup for a 4.0 as well so I imagine you would use the 6.4 settings. I would think it would be like comparing the Z100 to the Z200.

Greg_C
04-20-2005, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the info.

SSI
04-25-2005, 09:44 AM
I have played with a prototype and think its fine. I have over 24 specified into upcomming jobs. The only thing that is kind of a drag is the bezel size. The back end is the same as the VIA 6.4". I think its a great value at $820.00 retail with full motion video.

Shadowman68
04-28-2005, 01:50 AM
I talked to Andy Bennett today, the new ViaTools 5.3 has some refinements and a section to set up the via40. With regards to the Via 40 and the DJ, there may be some buttons taken out. The idea is to keep the screen image the same size for ease of use, so they may reposition some of the buttons in the overlay, eliminate some or create a second page. they are still in beta on 5.3 so we will have to wait and see.
Also for the rest of the Elan guys, he said to expect some cool shit to come out at CEDIA this year. He made mention of a few things, some of which I have been bugging him about for a couple years now, Quite happy to see they have addressed them.

Greg_C
04-28-2005, 03:59 PM
You mean that the stuff I am setting up in 5.2 won't work on the VIA!4.0?

Shadowman68
05-02-2005, 10:22 PM
all you have to do is update to 5.3 when it comes out, your files will still be there.

georgep
05-21-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm at the Elan TRIO dealer event.

The Via! 4.0 is cool. The one's on display here, and the new Via! Tools 5.3 release allow you to have 4 source buttons per page instead of 5. Not sure if you can do 5 if you want to. The colors are a bit dull compared to the existing Via!'s but they said they will be better when they ship. The Via!DJ screens are small but usable. Any smaller and they would not be.

They were also showing a Via! Valet Replacement: The Via!Valet6.4 It is the same Via! panel as always but with two differences: 1. The case is ABS plastic (black only) and is designed to be mounted under a cabinet or used on the tabletop. The hinge rotates up/down/left/right etc. Mounted under a cabinet allows you to rotate it up flat do disappear. Very nice. 2. They have separated the cable connections into the base. This includes the download connector. No more removing the back plate.

Also new: The Via! dvdj. Same interface as the DJ but for DVD's. No hard drive. Controls up to 4 sony DVD changers that will be available from Elan. Very nice.

Digital amp replacements on the way for Z-660 and Z-300. 1 RU units that look like mini D1200's. Stable to 4 ohm and 2 ohm respectively.

They were showing a new complete IR lineup and also prototypes of InRoom box speakers.

Not shown: Via!2 Wireless touch panel. They don't want to set anymore expectations on this one. It is getting closer but not close enough to show...

Later,

George P.

avophile
05-21-2005, 11:58 PM
Let us know what you thought of the rest of the Trio event- worth it? I went to a roadshow in Long Island for the System 12 and it was pretty much a waste of time. I suspect the Trio event was a lot more in depth... and Buckwheat Zydeco, too!

georgep
05-23-2005, 12:56 PM
I thought the event was very worthwhile. I skipped into sessions from each of the three tracks: tech, business and sales. If I had stayed in one track, it would not have been as good. This was common and they had plenty of room in the sessions.

Everyone was very approachable including Paul Starkey, Bob Faranelli, Hector and the other engineers. Much of the value was in direct conversations with them and other dealers. There was not a lot of detail in the product classes, more of just things that are coming and what they can do.

They had a good tech session where they formed small groups and directly solicited detailed product feedback from the attendees.

They will also ship numerous new two-way serial drivers for existing Via! panels with the "System Station". Finally, a real two-way Lutron driver that can "light" a button when the lights are on in that room/scene. More security systems too. Two-way Jandy pool control etc. The System Station will also have a clock that can do time based events. (ie: at Sunset, turn on the landscape lights, drop the blinds, set the temp to 72 and turn on the spa...)

Now they just need to deliver on all this!

Party was fun too.

George P.

flcusat
06-10-2005, 06:58 AM
How do you compare the VIA 6.4 to Xantech's SPLCD6.4V?

Shadowman68
07-12-2005, 12:10 AM
I just met Paul Starkey last wednesday, arguably one of the better salesmen I have every met. I dont think I can recall a guy who believed in the product he was selling as much as him. He gave me some very valuable tips. I just hope I can display as much enthusiasm as he does.
I have to try to make it to trio next year. I have heard many good things about it.

georgep
07-12-2005, 12:46 PM
I have not played with the Xantech touch screens. I've seen them at CEDIA and they appear higher resolution.

The Xantech programming is probably more flexible than the Elan Via! panels as far as importing graphics and laying out screens.

However, for what it does, the Via! panels are very quick to program, very reliable and respond instantly. I hate slow touch panels that have an hour glass etc... (Cor Access and the like)

The upcoming Via2 line should give us higher resolution, more flexible programming and of course a two-way wireless version.

George P.

Crazyone
09-12-2005, 07:56 AM
Per the 4.0 questions,

It goes to a 4 source screen instead of a 6 source screen, you can acutally make it a 6 source if you want by simply changing the motif in the software.

One quirky thing is that the screen is built upside down at least to me with a viewing angle of only 10 degrees up, and 30 degrees down, easily fixed by putting it in upside down and checking invert in the program screen.

They are possibly changing the lcd panel on the 4.0 coming up with a little more sharp screen, but overall i was pretty impressed at the pricepoint it comes in at.

The other nifty thing is their new keypad thats coming, checked a few days ago, still in design, but should prove to be awesome. Not sure what details I can share(as only a select few have seen it for suggestions and review) but i will find out and shoot back some more info...

Brandon