PDA

View Full Version : PS3 integration

Darren
04-05-2007, 01:06 AM
I have my first Sony PlayStation 3 install this Friday any suggestions or comments about your PS3 integrations?

PS3 system will be connected via HDMI to Samsung 1080p DLP. TosLink audio to HK AVR 445. System control of other devices with RTI T2C and RP6.

Just found out the PS3 is wireless via Bluetooth-also found the PS2 Remote Control work around with USB dongle, etc... but has very limited applications according to a thread at RC.

So how are you setting up your system controllers to handle systems with a PS3 involved?

I am considering adding two buttons one for "PLAY PS3" and another "WATCH BLU-RAY" both in Glass with icons. These macros will switch audio and video to correct inputs... then a page jump instructing client to use PS3 Wireless controller for further opertation... sounds kinda lame to me though.

djnorm
04-05-2007, 03:47 AM
sounds kinda lame to me though.
Might be, but that's what I do... If pushed, I say "I control audio equipment, not games"...;);)

ebecker
04-05-2007, 07:50 AM
fyi when you select hdmi as the output it will automatically assume you are sending audio over hdmi and disable the opticals. you have to go back in and re eneable the optical audio out

FRR
04-05-2007, 08:07 AM
fyi when you select hdmi as the output it wil lautomatically assume you are sernding audio over hdmi and disabelthe opticals. you have to go back in and re eneablethe optical audio out

You put a lot of effort in this response, especially the spelling and typing part.

ebecker
04-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Would I have been better off not giving the advice then, Oh Great One?

fasteddielv
04-05-2007, 09:59 AM
You put a lot of effort in this response, especially the spelling and typing part.

This is a typical, I have nothing to say, but I'm going to anyway response. Sometimes we Yankee's drink beer and try to type, get over yourself!:roll:

ConCon
04-05-2007, 10:09 AM
We are members here to help each other not to bash or flame. RC is like that; lets not let this turn into a mess.

Snap
04-05-2007, 12:32 PM
I am not sure what he means about reseting the optical out. But the 2 that I have done, you just adjust the settings in the PS3 to HDMI/Toslink. I have done 1 with an MX850, and 1 with Control 4. I just set it to DVD, and if the client plays a game or watches the DVD it requires the PS3 remote for play pause ect..... and the CI remote for volume and mute.

Unless he is wanting to play a game using the TV speakers, and watch a movie through the surround sound then the poster is right about having to reset the settings every time.

But why????? Just set it all up through the surround sound.

Just my .02 cents.

(I hate setting those things up.......the 2 that I did was a big pain in the butt.)

ebecker
04-05-2007, 12:42 PM
the few i have done, when you select HDMI it by default only sends audio over hdmi, so the first time you have to tell it to use hdmi/toslink. This is only applicable if it auto detects the hdmi, not necessary if you tell it hdmi during the set-up

Snap
04-05-2007, 12:44 PM
the few i have done, when you select HDMI it by default only sends audio over hdmi, so the first time you have to tell it to use hdmi/toslink. This is only applicable if it auto detects the hdmi, not necessary if you tell it hdmi during the set-up

Oh I see what you were saying......

Yeah I just did the set up, set it to HDMI for video, and set the audio for Toslink......and got the heck out of there as fast as I could.

Darren
04-05-2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks very much for all the input! I was hoping I wasn't missing anything. I assumed there would have to be some set-up menu for the audio... and from I hear here that's the case. Looks like I'll proceed as planned. Shame on me... the client bough the PS3 about two weeks ago, so I had to do a change order on the integration. I should have brought it home and played it and investigated it more closely!

fasteddielv
04-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Darren, FYI the PS3 may need an firmware update. I did one when they first came out and it took at least 30 minutes to download and install.

whdigital
04-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Darren, FYI the PS3 may need an firmware update. I did one when they first came out and it took at least 30 minutes to download and install.

Yeah, but I discovered a cool thing yesterday putting one in for somebody... I put in a new game they got (Sonic Hedgehog or something), and IT recognized the PS3 software needed updating and did it from the disc! Pretty fast and nice that it's embedded in game discs.

fasteddielv
04-06-2007, 09:19 AM
Yeah, but I discovered a cool thing yesterday putting one in for somebody... I put in a new game they got (Sonic Hedgehog or something), and IT recognized the PS3 software needed updating and did it from the disc! Pretty fast and nice that it's embedded in game discs.

That is cool, but I dout it's the latest firmware update.

whdigital
04-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Well, it took the units 'software' from 1.10 to 1.3x (can't remember exactly), and got HDMI and Toslink to work correctly. Unit was NOT hooked to the internet at all. You tell me....

fasteddielv
04-06-2007, 10:43 AM
Well, it took the units 'software' from 1.10 to 1.3x (can't remember exactly), and got HDMI and Toslink to work correctly. Unit was NOT hooked to the internet at all. You tell me....

Don't know what the latest ver. is. I haven't install one since Jan. but it was ver 1.3 I think.

Just consider the lag time between latest firmware copied to a game disc, then sits on selves for ???. It's not a reliable way to get the latest firmware. The firmware on gamming disc are most likely required to play the game and that's why they produce the disc with the firmware.

gotp
07-28-2008, 03:52 AM
Just found out the PS3 is wireless via Bluetooth-also found the PS2 Remote Control work around with USB dongle, etc... but has very limited applications according to a thread at RC.

So How did it go?
And where do you get that "USB Dongle thing. and how dose it or did it work?

:confused:

wildulmer
03-30-2009, 10:05 AM
I have used the ir4ps3. It is the guts of a PS3 remote with a IR sensor on it. It is cheap, about $70, and easy to come by, just e-mail ir4ps3 at hotmail dot com , and he will send you one after getting your paypal money. The control is very quick and consistent. I have one in my house and have been amazed at its performance. I know I sound like a commercial but it works, and because it uses the PS3 remote as its blue-tooth interface Sony will never be able to firmware it away, like it has with other IR to blue-tooth solutions.
(ir4ps3@hotmail.com)

EclipseHA
04-04-2009, 08:38 PM
There are a number of IR to bluetooth devices out there sepcifically made for the PS3, but most of them don't support the power button. Do a search for PS3 IR to BT and you'll find a lot of them, just do your homework or you'll be explaining to the customer that, "Yes Mr. Customer, you push this button and everything will turn on, er, but then you have to get up and physically turn on the PS3." I know it won't sound like that oer se, but you get my drift. I hate telling customers it works like this but... Just get confusing. Also, the latest firmware for the PS3 is 2.7. Everytime they upgrade the firmware, there is almost always some sort of BlueRay update included so you want to ensure that the customer knows this and stays on top of the updates. And one more thing, as for the audio out, like already stated, when you set up for HDMI the PS3 usually will change your audio settings to HDMI. All you have to do is go into your audio settings and change that to Digital Optical. Its that simple. If you have anymore questions, fell free to let me know, I love the PS3!!!!

TedW
04-05-2009, 05:33 AM
There are a number of IR to bluetooth devices out there sepcifically made for the PS3, but most of them don't support the power button. Do a search for PS3 IR to BT and you'll find a lot of them, just do your homework or you'll be explaining to the customer that, "Yes Mr. Customer, you push this button and everything will turn on, er, but then you have to get up and physically turn on the PS3." I know it won't sound like that oer se, but you get my drift. I hate telling customers it works like this but... Just get confusing. Also, the latest firmware for the PS3 is 2.7. Everytime they upgrade the firmware, there is almost always some sort of BlueRay update included so you want to ensure that the customer knows this and stays on top of the updates. And one more thing, as for the audio out, like already stated, when you set up for HDMI the PS3 usually will change your audio settings to HDMI. All you have to do is go into your audio settings and change that to Digital Optical. Its that simple. If you have anymore questions, fell free to let me know, I love the PS3!!!!

good info - I see you are new so just be aware of how old a thread is before you bring it back to life. nothing wrong with bringing it back to life to add something new but new guys have a tendency to miss the fact that a thread is a year old.

EclipseHA
04-05-2009, 06:18 AM
You're absolutely right!!! I forgot to look at the older posts, I just looked at the newest post! Sorry guys. I'll get it right at some point.

flcusat
04-05-2009, 06:25 AM
Audio Authority just release this piece;
http://www.audioauthority.com/product_details/C-1071/All/5/8

I haven't use it but it claims to be able to sense the power status of the PS3 via usb.

metrognomicon
04-05-2009, 10:37 AM
We've used the Nyko box but the lack of power makes it clunky. I've looked at the Schmartz box but haven't used it -- seems to have a good rep, but I've actually spec'd in the Audio Authority box for an upcoming install because I feel more comfortable about the company making it.

We've been going round in circles about whether to sell expensive blu-ray players and I just can't make a value case for them -- especially since the Yamaha 2900 , which has a nice feature set, doesn't do below black. Joe Kane says the PS3 is the world's best blu-ray and that's good enough for me so long as we can control it reliably.

casperspooks
04-05-2009, 08:20 PM
The Schmartz piece works like a champ including discrete power on/off. Have had it in my setup for over a year w/o any issues. Such an easy and simple solution; Sony was pretty stupid not to make it an accessory at least.

metrognomicon
04-05-2009, 08:34 PM
The Schmartz piece works like a champ including discrete power on/off. Have had it in my setup for over a year w/o any issues. Such an easy and simple solution; Sony was pretty stupid not to make it an accessory at least.

Good to know, thanks.

flyingmachine
04-05-2009, 08:35 PM
You're absolutely right!!! I forgot to look at the older posts, I just looked at the newest post! Sorry guys. I'll get it right at some point.

Don't worry about it, you can tell Ted to pound foam.

I just got the AA piece in and will be testing it prior to an install in a couple weeks.

whdigital
04-06-2009, 12:17 AM
Comprehensive breakdown of options in a recent HomeToys.com article:

http://www.hometoys.com/ezine/09.04/bask/index.htm

TedW
05-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Seems like the Schmartz pieces is still the champ. I'll be ordering that unless I hear of some good success stories from the AA piece.

TedW
05-14-2009, 03:46 PM
If UPS delivers I'll be putting in one of the new PS3IR-1000s tomorrow. Should be fun. I'll update on how it works out tomorrow.

2ndRick
05-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Daniel has a review in process for each of the major players at RC....

http://www.remotecentral.com/reviews/ps3_control_roundup/index.html

TedW
05-19-2009, 06:47 AM
I installed the schmartz PS1000 and everything went smoothly. The last time I tried a full power cycle the power off macro didn't fully shut it down so I have to look into that but it had worked about eight times in a row before that. Otherwise installation was far easier that expected. Just rack mounted it right next to the RP6 - direct jacked into IR and power off of the DVR USB port. Codes were in Glacks database. Great piece. better production and support than I've gotten from many large manufactures.

Strype
08-23-2009, 09:40 AM
well, I wonder what issues (if any) will occur with this new Slim PS3

remoteshoppe
08-25-2009, 09:40 PM
From everything I've read the new PS3 Slim will run with the same firmware as the current PS3 model and they will be upgraded and supported together so I don't foresee any issues specific to the new form factor.

The new unit still does not have an IR receiver and since it has just 2 USB ports it looks like the demand for the Bluetooth adapters will be even greater.

Strype
08-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Installed 3 Slims today ...2 at client & one at my home.
no real differences...
- A couple of folders are pre-installed that aren't on my other (80gig).
- Power and eject are "real" buttons now.
- Power cord is a small 2 prong cord now, like a cable box.
- My aftermarket fans don't fit anymore.
- Only 2 USB

Joe@Leon
08-26-2009, 07:50 AM
From everything I've read the new PS3 Slim will run with the same firmware as the current PS3 model and they will be upgraded and supported together so I don't foresee any issues specific to the new form factor.

The new unit still does not have an IR receiver and since it has just 2 USB ports it looks like the demand for the Bluetooth adapters will be even greater.

That's a shame. Was hoping they would finally add an IR receiver with the latest refresh. Oh well.

TotalControl
03-10-2010, 11:44 AM

The PS3 is getting popular as streaming starts to become a very popular customer request. It doesnt help that this Bluray is one of the better ones on the market as well as far as speed and features go. I have great sucess with the Schmartz PS3-100. Not only does it have all 58 commands (include discrete on/off macros), but comes iwth a USB connection to power sense AND to install software updates. It's a bit pricier than most, but it's not going to be obsolete anytime soon as long as Sony keeps making this device bluetooth.

jumper27
03-31-2010, 08:16 PM
I have my first Sony PlayStation 3 install this Friday any suggestions or comments about your PS3 integrations?

PS3 system will be connected via HDMI to Samsung 1080p DLP. TosLink audio to HK AVR 445. System control of other devices with RTI T2C and RP6.

So how are you setting up your system controllers to handle systems with a PS3 involved?

I am considering adding two buttons one for "PLAY PS3" and another "WATCH BLU-RAY" both in Glass with icons. These macros will switch audio and video to correct inputs... then a page jump instructing client to use PS3 Wireless controller for further opertation... sounds kinda lame to me though.

Go to this website, www.schmartz.com, they have a bluetooth to IR transmitter and all you need is a live USB port to power it. I usually use a satellite or cable USB port, to link it go into the PS3, BD remote under accessories then press start and enter to link it. The PS3 walks you through it pretty well and if your using RTI remotes, all the IR commands are pre-loaded in there software. Or if you have access to the IR from the PS2 they usually work too.

remoteshoppe
03-31-2010, 10:03 PM
Go to this website, www.schmartz.com (http://www.schmartz.com), they have a bluetooth to IR transmitter and all you need is a live USB port to power it. I usually use a satellite or cable USB port, to link it go into the PS3, BD remote under accessories then press start and enter to link it. The PS3 walks you through it pretty well and if your using RTI remotes, all the IR commands are pre-loaded in there software. Or if you have access to the IR from the PS2 they usually work too.

The Schmartz PS3IR1000 is now packaged with the USB AC Adaptor so you don't need to plug it into a usb port on a satellite receiver or cable box.

jberger
04-01-2010, 07:19 AM
I've used 2 of the AA pieces in the last week, works well and includes power tracking via the USB port to keep your system in sync. The AA piece is actually a rebrand of the www.RE-BL.com unit if you would rather go direct to the source.

Zach.H
04-01-2010, 09:30 AM
I've used 2 of the AA pieces in the last week, works well and includes power tracking via the USB port to keep your system in sync. The AA piece is actually a rebrand of the www.RE-BL.com (http://www.RE-BL.com) unit if you would rather go direct to the source.

Did you use these with C4? I used one a couple weeks ago, powering it off an HC200. It took three or four tries, but it did finally work. I programmed the "2" button to repeat for 30seconds, and after plugging/unplugging/sending command/searching for BT....it finally worked.

jberger
04-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Yes, they were both with C4.
I didn't have any trouble pairing the device, all you need to do is load the latest firmware, set the settings via the windows app (IR Internal, USB power tracking), then powercycle the AA unit by removing the usb cord AND the batteries. When you re-power the unit it will automatically attempt to pair with the PS3, no need to press 2 on the remote. You can also initiate pairing via the windows software when attached via USB.

The thing to remember is that the device does not commit changes made via software until it's power cycled.

I did add the power off command via "edit driver" as for some reason I didn't find the power off command in the original driver set. You can get the command at the www.re-bl.com website, it's in an excel spreadsheet with every code available.

flcusat
09-29-2010, 06:50 AM
This is an old thread but do you guys know if the analog audio out is also enable while the PS3 is connected through HDMI?

elahome
12-28-2010, 12:01 PM
I use the AudioAuthority IR/bluetooth/usb unit for integration to Universal Remote.

SAAudio
12-28-2010, 02:42 PM
This is an old thread but do you guys know if the analog audio out is also enable while the PS3 is connected through HDMI?

Yes. There is a setting in the audio settings area to allow both outputs.

HiFiGuy1
09-04-2012, 08:16 AM
Who might the distributor be for the Audio Authority BlueBeam (http://www.audioauthority.com/product_details/C-1071A) unit? I may need one of these for a job very soon.

jberger
09-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Order the RE-Bl instead, it's cheaper and the AA unit is just a rebadge of the RE-BL

remoteshoppe
09-04-2012, 08:34 AM
We have both the RE-BL and AA Blue Beam in stock at Remote Shoppe.