PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic KX-TAW848

AHEM
04-23-2005, 11:37 PM
I just installed my first one of these today, and at Gary's request, here's my take on it:

First Impressions

Prior to ordering, my first impression was how confusing all of the optional cards are to plan out and implement. The 848 uses three different sizes of card slots and each size slot is designed for a variety of different expansion cards. It is very important to plan out both the current and future uses of the system as each card array contains a very limited amount of expansion cards. For instance, the medium sized card slots will accomidate either 4 CO or 4 Hybrid extension cards with a maximum of 4 cards per chassis. The large card slots will support either 8 port SLT cards, 8 port proprietary extension cards, etc. Without having the installation manual, you'll easily pull all of your hair out trying to determine how many cards you'll need and be able to support.

Upon unpacking, I noticed several nice improvements over the 624 systems.

Cable management has been improved

The removable cover is now large enough that you no longer have to whittle out the top of it to fit standard 3.5mm jacks for page out and music on hold

The transformer now includes screw holes for wall mounting it. No more staples and wire ties to hang the transformer!

Included is a memory card for backing up your programming

Gone is the 4-inch high loose stack of installation, programming and user manuals. They've now been replaced by three seperate bound manuals.

Also included is a tutorial CD and a programming software CD.

Installation

I have to admit to reading over the installation manual while I was driving with the manual in one hand, a doughnut in the other and the steering wheel lodged between my knees. The installation manual is written in easy to understand language and thourough without being TOO thourough.

After arriving at the job site, I was able to install the CO, Extension and Caller ID cards in less then 10 minutes. Everything fit very nicely and nothing left me scratching my head.

The supplied template and screws gave me no problems with mounting the 848 on a plywood wall (unlike the very unfriendly Panamax that I mounted next to it).

After doing some punching down and UTP termination, I was feeling pretty confident in myself that it was going to be an easy day.

Programming

As was mentioned in a previous post, Panasonic has radically changed bot the way that the system is programmed and many of the terminology has changed too. The 848 is big into "groups", which will probably throw you off a bit first, but after you dig deeper into the features, you'll realize that the groups can be very powerful tools.

After booting up the software, I was miraculously able to connect to the 858 via RS232 on the very first attempt (null modem cable required). Many of the features that litterally took hours to program on a 624 can now be done in a matter of minutes by using the software.

However, because of the sophistication with the 848, there's going to be more then just a couple of drill down items in the software that you're going to look at and think "hmmm, I wonder what the hell this is for?". Fortunately, in my case, the defaults worked in most cases.

Within a couple of hours, I had the system pretty well programmed to do what I needed it to do for this application. I should also point out that this was installed into a busy office environment that is fairly feature demanding.

After customizing the programming for each extension and enabling call logging, I distributed the user manual for each of the KXT7731 telephones on each of the user's desks. At one point, I needed to refer to the 7731's user's manual when I noticed that OOOPS, the manuals don't yet include support for the 848, and the 848 operates much differently then the older models of KSU's therefore rendering the station user's guides mostly useless.

Now here's where the real fun began

VPS integration

This system was sold with a TVS-50 Voice Mail Processor. The 848 brags of having powerful digital integration with Panasonic's VPS's. HOWEVER, there is absolutely NO details in either the 848's installation or programming manuals on how to do it. I then refered to horridly written PDF documentation that comes with the TVS-50, and unfortunately, when it was written, there was no 848 system, so there's no mention on integration with one of them.

After nearly two hours of trial and error, I finally found the proper configuration of the TVS50, which would allow it to properly communicate with the 848. Panasonic really, really should have immediately issued addendums to the TVS50's manual to include support for the 848. I lost valuable time having to figure all of it out by myself.

Summary

After glueing back the hair that I'd pulled out trying to integrate the voice mail, I found the system to be extradinarily powerful. I didn't use any of the wireless phones, so I can't comment on them, but overall, when compared to the 624, hands down no contest, this thing rocks.

djnorm
05-01-2005, 10:20 AM
I've only done a few houses with the 848/7680, but I can say WOW! Great coverage, and seamless handoffs...

Gary
05-01-2005, 11:20 AM
How are the things that all phone systems seem to get wrong in the residential market? Namely caller ID logging, executive override, paging and such?

Theaterworks
05-01-2005, 11:28 AM
I'm in the middle of my first 848 installation right now, so I'll report back on that question in a week or two.

The client found the manuals on line somewhere and now has a long, long list of features he wants to add to the system. He was annoyed with me that my guys didn't finish up the basic installation on Friday, yet he had them chasing around changing ring tones for him. Go figure. He will be paying T&M on the feature changes, so that may damp his enthusiasm for bells & whistles!

Gary
05-01-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm in the middle of my first 848 installation right now, so I'll report back on that question in a week or two.

The client found the manuals on line somewhere and now has a long, long list of features he wants to add to the system. He was annoyed with me that my guys didn't finish up the basic installation on Friday, yet he had them chasing around changing ring tones for him. Go figure. He will be paying T&M on the feature changes, so that may damp his enthusiasm for bells & whistles!

Gota love that internet :lol:

Theaterworks
05-01-2005, 02:40 PM
VPS integration

This system was sold with a TVS-50 Voice Mail Processor. The 848 brags of having powerful digital integration with Panasonic's VPS's. HOWEVER, there is absolutely NO details in either the 848's installation or programming manuals on how to do it. I then refered to horridly written PDF documentation that comes with the TVS-50, and unfortunately, when it was written, there was no 848 system, so there's no mention on integration with one of them.

After nearly two hours of trial and error, I finally found the proper configuration of the TVS50, which would allow it to properly communicate with the 848. Panasonic really, really should have immediately issued addendums to the TVS50's manual to include support for the 848. I lost valuable time having to figure all of it out by myself.

Care to share on the TVS-50 integration? We're in the middle of that right now, with little luck.

AHEM
05-01-2005, 10:25 PM
I found it by trial and error. What I did was go into the TVS-50's quick setup feature and tried all of the six or seven PBX options that are listed. Since the 848 uses digital integration, none of the analog options (624, etc.) will work.

Unfortunately, I don't have the system in front of me, but if memory serves, the setting that works is either the 4th or 5th one listed. I want to say that it's for the 308, but don't hold me to it. The setting that works is definitely for one of the digital PBX's.

The other thing that you need to do (and you've no doubt seen this in the study guide) is to use the 848's maintanence program to change the VPS extensions from the default phone setting to VPS (this is done in the Configuration/Extension drop down menu). If you've got the TVS-50 properly configured, the 848's software will immediately show the VPS ports as having a VPS connected to them (after you place the extension port back in service).

If you don't have the TVS50 properly configured, then the 848 will show the VPS ports as "fault" as soon as you put them back online.

I hope this helps, and I feel your pain.

Theaterworks
05-02-2005, 06:51 AM
AHEM,

Many thanks. We're headed out there this morning to continue, so I'll make sure and try this, and will report back.

Brijaws
05-02-2005, 08:40 PM
I was told that the new units would work with Service Provided Voice Mail - or phone company vm. Does it? If you have a Service Provided Voice Mail does the message light work when someone leaves a message?

I think this is a great feature for resi if it works.

AHEM
05-02-2005, 10:13 PM
I can't rule it out, but I can't imagine how it would work.

AHEM
05-03-2005, 06:24 AM
That's pretty cool, but how would it know which extension to assign the voice mail to?

Theaterworks
05-03-2005, 06:52 AM
I was told that the new units would work with Service Provided Voice Mail - or phone company vm. Does it? If you have a Service Provided Voice Mail does the message light work when someone leaves a message?

I think this is a great feature for resi if it works.

That's the very question I'm facing this morning. I'll report back when I know one way or the other, and how to implement it.

Theaterworks
05-03-2005, 07:51 AM
The answer on "service provided voice mail" indicators on the 848 is a big, fat NO.

Brijaws
05-03-2005, 07:50 PM
I was wrong, i spoke to my Rep and its the replacment to the 624 that will have this feature.

AHEM
05-03-2005, 10:22 PM
The answer on "service provided voice mail" indicators on the 848 is a big, fat NO.

Were you able to get the TVS-50 to integrate?

ATOH
08-20-2005, 09:49 PM
I'm into my first 848 install and the only problem I have is registering the cordless with the system. In the install manual it shows using an AC adapter to power the cell station during the site survey to determine where you should put them and I did not get this power supply. Any way around this? Also, the registering of the cordless doesn't make sense as it shows to push 19 then hold the power button. All this does is turn the handset off.

Am I reading too much into this and making it more complicated than it should be? I would appreciate any help!

I have done 624 systems before and am familiar with programming from the phone. I would love to use the software though. It seems more complicated than your typical windows type software. You can bet I'll figure out how to get registered for the 848 classes by Fred's boys at CEDIA. :D

Thanks.

AHEM
08-20-2005, 11:58 PM
You're trying to program an 848 without using the software?

ATOH
08-21-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm going to use the software to do the programming but haven't gotten that far because I can't get the cordless handset registered. Of course this was on Saturday and tech support at Capital and Panasonic aren't in the office.

Is this something I can do easily within the software and I'm taking the long way?

I'm going to spend today reading through the manuals again but any suggestions would be appreciate.

There are no CO lines into the house yet as SBC has to trench from the pole across the street over to the demarc. I was waiting for this to verify everything is functional and then do the programming through the software.

AHEM
08-21-2005, 05:37 PM
The first step to doing anything is use the software to configure the system and extensions.

ATOH
08-21-2005, 08:21 PM
I found it. I thought the Feature Guide was for user features. Never realized that it had a break down of the software. :D

I didn't realize I had to set up the handset in the PBX and then register it from the phone too.

A little different than a 624 huh? Oh well. Every day is another day to learn something new!

ATOH
08-22-2005, 08:39 PM
I got the cordless handsets working and am AMAZED at the reception. The house this went in is 27k square feet and there's reception everywhere with 2 cell stations in the basement level above the ceiling tile and one cell station in the center of the upstairs area. There's coverage everywhere! Very impressed, and the cordless handset is beautiful.

AHEM,
Thanks for the nudge. You answered my question without telling me, which I'm sure you knew that didn't you? :D

AHEM
08-22-2005, 11:38 PM
I'm glad to hear that you got it figured out.

As you've found out, the 848 is completely different from the older systems. It's got some cool new features, but the learning curve is steep, the software is not completely user friendly, and there's a few bugs here and there, but after you've mastered this one, the next one will be a whole lot easier!