PDA

View Full Version : THIEL @ Crutchfield

avconnection
05-19-2007, 06:19 AM
The new high end retailer

crestrontech
05-19-2007, 08:30 AM
Oh I'm so happy -Just picked up that line 2 months ago and 10k of demo gear --they had a serious contract against me putting the product on the internet

Theaterworks
05-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Wow, that's surprising. Thiel should know better. Did they change hands?

QQQ
05-19-2007, 10:26 PM
I have said this before but please LISTEN guys. Instead of reacting emotionally just because Crutchfied's is an online outfit analyze it. Crutchfield is NOT, I repeat NOT your enemy. Not only are they not your enemy but in a way they are your friend. I know you think I'm crazy right now but keep reading...

Crutchfield is NOT a deep discount house. In fact they usually sell things like Thiel at or close to retail. You will NEVER lose a sale because you give someone a quote and they go online and find it at Cruthfield for 10 over cost. Just the OPPOSITE. People may go online and do a Google and see Crutchfield and immediately realize your prices are fair.

When I used to work retail I kept a Crutchfield magazine right behind the counter at all times. When a customer wanted to haggle I would often pull it out and show them that they could buy it online at Crutchfields for even more. The Crutchfield catalog was an excellent closing tool. Cruthfield is the LEAST of our problems. I could care less if they sell any line I sell.

QQQ
05-19-2007, 10:27 PM
p.s. the above assumes their pricing structure has not changed. If it has, please enlighten me.

Pilgrim
05-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Last time I checked they sold everything at MSRP.

Theaterworks
05-20-2007, 07:42 AM
I don't view Crutchfield as my enemy. I view them as the Neiman Marcus of on-line audio sales. No, pricing is never the issue.

Nonetheless, I'm surprised and a little dissapointed that Thiel is in there. Thiel's local retailer, Audio Consultants, will certainly be unhappy about it. What ever happened to the idea that high end speakers needed to be listened to, compared to others, before buying? You won't get that with an on-line retailer.ever.

QQQ
05-20-2007, 03:58 PM
I hear ya.

HiFiGuy1
05-31-2007, 09:36 PM
I have said this before but please LISTEN guys. Instead of reacting emotionally just because Crutchfied's is an online outfit analyze it. Crutchfield is NOT, I repeat NOT your enemy. Not only are they not your enemy but in a way they are your friend. I know you think I'm crazy right now but keep reading...

Crutchfield is NOT a deep discount house. In fact they usually sell things like Thiel at or close to retail. You will NEVER lose a sale because you give someone a quote and they go online and find it at Cruthfield for 10 over cost. Just the OPPOSITE. People may go online and do a Google and see Crutchfield and immediately realize your prices are fair.

When I used to work retail I kept a Crutchfield magazine right behind the counter at all times. When a customer wanted to haggle I would often pull it out and show them that they could buy it online at Crutchfields for even more. The Crutchfield catalog was an excellent closing tool. Cruthfield is the LEAST of our problems. I could care less if they sell any line I sell.

Amen, brother! I use the "look, I am the same price as mail order" gambit every chance I get.

2ndRick
06-02-2007, 10:16 PM
I used to think that places like Crutchfield were taking credibility away from retailers by saying that a well-written description and a spot for customer reviews was as good as first hand exposure to the real thing in a showroom...

We have to face facts, custom installers rarely demo... In fact I know more than one person who feels that if they are ever asked to see/hear/experience the performance of a component in a proposed system, that they just lost the sale.

In this day and age, a retailer is more likely to be facing competition from a "Power Seller" with great eBay feedback, or a direct-to-consumer type sale like Axiom or SVS...
With those options looming out there, Crutchfield seems like an ally in the fight to stay alive as a retailer.

If I were to lose all of my senses, and get back into the retail hi-fi biz and needed an "audiophile approved" speaker line, I would take my chances with selling Thiel anyday.

At least I know that it has a little more exposure these days!!!

As it stands, I loved selling Triad. I used the "application solutions" approach to selling the line...

idodishez
06-03-2007, 01:13 AM
As it stands, I loved selling Triad. I used the "application solutions" approach to selling the line...

Care to elaborate?

Im meeting w a client next week who is set on Klipsch after hearing them at in an A/B comparison at a local showroom (Im guessing Ovation)
My good/better/best lines are Polk/RBH/Triad. It was gonna be Polk or RBH as he is definately budget minded. He says he is open to other options, but so far is pretty set on Klipsch after hearing them in person side by side. I dont have a showroom full of many SKU's of many different lines, and dont PLAN on it.

One of my clients wife works for Klipsch, so I can get them "this one time" if need be. As far as I know, Klipsch doenst make a "box" style in ceiling, so I have that going for me. But then Im back w RBH or Triad, and back up there in price.

QQQ
06-03-2007, 02:44 AM
I'm sure Rick will explain but in the mean time I think if you look on Triads site you'll see that they basically identify speakers by application. For instance they identify what speakers they consider LCR's and in some instances will also further categorize them by application such as "Platinum is appropriate for 1000 sq ft rooms" or whatever. You should refer to the product map and dealer spec guide here.

http://triadspeakers.com/products/productmap.html#

QQQ
06-03-2007, 02:45 AM
One of my clients wife works for Klipsch, so I can get them "this one time" if need be. As far as I know, Klipsch doenst make a "box" style in ceiling, so I have that going for me. But then Im back w RBH or Triad, and back up there in price.
You say that like it's a bad thing :p.

2ndRick
06-07-2007, 07:50 AM
Thanks Q,
Yes what I meant is that they offer the exact same speaker model in several configurations... whereas most manufacturers would have a cabinet speaker, and then some seriously compromised open back in-wall that they claim is "voice matched" and "in the same family" so therefore a correct model to use alongside their in-room product.

In other words, they use the same color anodizing on the metal dome tweeter, and same color cones on the mid/woofs.

That is good enough to pacify a neophyte, but not someone who knows speakers....

As a full-on speaker nut who has designed and built many custom speakers in the past, my first question to that manufacturer would be "If a cheap plastic frame and a sheet of 5/8 drywall is an adequate baffle for your in-wall, why do you use braced MDF on your in-room models??"

Triad is really the only manufacturer I have seen where the in-walls and the in-room equivalents are truly apples-to-apples... And you can select the product to fit the application in good conscience that you are providing the best solution with the least compromises, regardless of the limitations of the application.

My Triad shill is now over...

Greg_C
06-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Just met with the Triad rep yesterday after trying to get the line for several years. Looks like I need to get up to speed on their different models and aplications.

2ndRick
06-12-2007, 08:20 PM
New thread dedicated to Triad...
http://www.integrationpros.com/forums/showthread.php?p=45063#post45063